WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prophetic Dreams

Prophetic Dreams

What do you think is the mechanism involved for prophetic dreams?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have had 3 in my lifetime ; All have come true! That really creeps me out! But I can not answer your question! Hope I have no more!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Other than it being another of the amazing abilities built into people, the way we are made, I don't understand how it works. I've wondered about what it might say about "time" and what one could surmise about the manner of beings we are but it's a puzzle.
    Any how, it's something that I've had a few decades to mull over and it's still of great interest to me. I hope people will chime in. I'd love to hear what anyone has thought.

It’s all up to God, who He chooses. But I don’t think there are any more prophets of Bible caliber. We already know what is going to happen in our time from John in revelation. Pick your favorite teacher and follow them. Just waiting for the rapture myself. I think I know everything I need to know. Keep repenting and getting clean. It’s not getting any easier to be sinless, and who really is sinless. Only Jesus.

Indeed it is up to God; who He chooses, for what purposes and how much He places upon them.
    Was David Wilkerson correct in what he saw? How about what Dumitru Duduman was shown? Or Billy Graham for that matter. And then there was Chuck Youngbrandt and so many others. It looks as though more people are being shown more these days, or is that part of living in an internet world? One thing for sure, the internet lets us search a lot of history for the records of what seers recorded in centuries past. And there's been a bunch of them, Catholic, communist and in between.

I remember three decades ago the Houston newspaper story about an elderly gentleman in some west Texas county who was known to be a seer and walked into town one day telling about the coming war with Russia that he'd been shown. Is that the war we have on our doorstep now? I wish I'd kept the article.

Some things I've noticed over the decades...
    People do mistake warnings for set in stone prophecy.
    People sometimes fail to discern that a warning means you can avoid what was shown.
    People sometimes fail to appreciate that a warned of event may still occur though it is initially held off.

And how about those rascally heretics and nonbelievers? Yes, they too receive prophetic warnings that turn out to be accurate.

Prophecy is a fascinating subject for me, intimately intertwined with loving God, His involvement with what happens in this world, repentance and answered prayers.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 03-11-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Some of those men whose names you mentioned are old men dreaming dreams and young men seeing visions as it says in scripture. They didn’t know what would happen, but it did and so it was from God. But God doesn’t give the future to men anymore. It must be a sixth sense or extrapolation. But I haven’t read any of them to be rigidly sure of my statements. I try not to be rigid. I just haven’t seen people who call themselves prophets with any sure backing like scripture, with its track record and all.

Good morning Gobeyond.
    I'm not familiar with the reasons for saying God doesn’t give the future to men anymore. Can you point me towards something?

Boolit Master
    Amos 3:7
    For the Lord God will do nothing, without revealing instruction to his servants the prophets.

Either you believe or you do not believe. But I know from experience that some have a gift, most do not have the gift, either that or they ignore the the feelings or impressions. It probably has much to do with why some live to a ripe old age and others die in accidents when young. That is the best way for me to explain the impressions.
    Never saw the light, but saw the life movie running, it does exist.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a good question.

If you dream something, and it happens was it God sending you a message or chance?
    If you dream something and it does not happen, was it "just a dream"?

And the big question. Which dreams are you to rely upon?

The bigger question. How do you know a person telling you about their dream has been sent a message from God, had a normal" dream, or is making things up?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

God gave us intelligence and the completed Bible. This is where we, as Christians, are to get our guidance from God.

The Bible covers thousands of years and reports very few prophetic dreams and visions and almost all of them are in the Old Testament and involve critical issues.

Christians should not expect God to reach out to them in visions or dreams (or audible voices). It would be way out of the norm. I am always suspicious of anyone claiming to have heard directly from God about mundane issues. That is not his way, if the Bible can be believed.

My experience says that:
    > Christians and people who are not Christians both sometimes have spiritual experiences and warnings of things to come, a fact that provides no indication as to whether God sends the warnings or not.
    > God does sometimes send warnings to people.
    > God sometimes intervenes in people's lives in ways that they can realize it was Him.
    > God answers prayers.

My suspicions say:
    > Most often God makes a point of not being obvious about what He is doing.
    > Sometimes God wants a person to know something came from Him.
    > Sometimes everything is already set up if you'll only pray and ask Him.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Good morning Gobeyond.
    I'm not familiar with the reasons for saying God doesn’t give the future to men anymore. Can you point me towards something?
    The last few verses of rev 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    The last few verses of rev 22.
    OK, thanks for getting back.

Boolit Master
    While some teach that the miraculous gifts died with the apostles, I have a somewhat nuanced view, that being that they are somewhat rare, and not to be trumpeted about. You must be cautious about the more publicly visible gifts, because they can and easily do become a distraction from the giver of the gift. Ultimately, the gifts are an aid in helping the church to function in a world that hates it, and would seek to alienate it from tasks that God would have us do. As for the prophetic, one must be wary, because there are elements in the spiritual realm that would mislead through counterfeit dreams and utterings. Any foreshadowing does not testify of God should be treated as suspect, and any that doesn't come true, to the letter, is false.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Being interested over the years (obviously, from post #5) and reading what many have said they've been shown, much of what had been said has happened and is happening. I have to sit back and take the long view, to think about what I am seeing. Looks like someone getting it right doesn't mean in and of itself that he or she is a prophet of God. Or that their past track record is proof of future performance unless they are.

Gobeyond, with what you were saying in post #6, I suspect you are correct in there being a sixth sense in play. God made us spirit beings temporarily stuck in these meat suits. Experience in this 4D world demonstrates that He built into us some pretty amazing abilities with each of us having particular strengths and weaknesses. Maybe it goes by blood lines, maybe it goes by what we were before getting a meat suit, maybe a bit of both... Hey, maybe that's another one of those questions for the hereafter when it won't seem to matter.

Speaking about 4D (time), something I've noticed over the years is that when people do have foreknowledge there seems to be a dreadful pressure to figure out when whatever it is will occur. And people want to set a date. Not smart; because apparently that isn't how this reality is set up.

Boolit Master
    Luke 13:34
    “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.

Matthew 5:10-12 (NASB)

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Boolit Master

Christ himself was the last Prophet with the exception of the 2 who will appear in Jerusalem for a time in the last days.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    A few scriptures about the subject.

Was this the purpose of these gifts to fulfill scriptureand show the authenticity of the messenger, and message?

Act 2:16-21
    But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
    And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
    And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

It appears to me from scripture that the only way these gifts where received was through the laying on of hands of the apostles. Do you have scripture to prove that miraculous gifts where received in another way?
    Note that these people had already received and believed the gospel, but no gifts of the Spirit.

Act 8:13-19

Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and JohnWho, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost

No matter where one falls in their belief in this subject, it would seem we should take these scriptures into account. Many of us(myself) believe that which is perfect is the God breathed scriptures.

1Co 13:8-10
    Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
    For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

As an aside. I have a close friend who speaks in tongues in his church and in his prayers. As I told him. "Who am I to say you don't speak in tongues? However I know I can't understand what in the world you are paying for, or to whom you are praying!

1Co 14:26-33

What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God. Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

With that all said: I do believe God works through the Holy Spirit in our lives! I believe premonitions ARE a work of the Holy Spirit in believers lives, just as the way "luck" isn't luck in many instances, it's intervention!

"With that all said: I do believe God works through the Holy Spirit in our lives! I believe premonitions ARE a work of the Holy Spirit in believers lives, just as the way "luck" isn't luck in many instances, it's intervention!"

Thundarstick, the wife and I have experienced premonitions and intervention so yeah, couldn't agree more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast