WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mold for a 380 auto

Boolit Master

Mold for a 380 auto

We have two LCP 380s in the family and I'm thinking cast just for a little 5 yard practice and to make sure the pistols are running ok.

I thinking of the Lee TL356- 95-RN or the 356-102-1R.

Any of you fellows have any first hand experience with either of these two molds in a 380 auto? Empirical experience in a LCP from either one of the Lee molds would be nice.

Boolit Master
    I started playing with cast in 380 . A buddy picked up a 2 cavity Lee mold that has been discontinued that drops a 115 gr round nose at around .357 so that's what I have been using . They clump together pretty good up close but hit several inches high , I think that little 105 gr swc could work if it feeds good . Getting precise small powder drops was a challenge .

Boolit Buddy
    I got feed up with the heavy bevels on the Lee 125gr TC mold and milled enough off the top th get a 100gr TC 6 cavity. They resemble the Hornaday hollow point without the hollow. Shoot and feed great in my PPKs and the wife's Bersa. I have the round nose mold but it was only available in 2 cavity and I had 2 of the 125 TC 6 cavity molds so 1 was sacrificed and it worked.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I load .380 ACP for a Bersa, Colt, and LCP. I have the Lee 356-102-1R but my favorite is the Lyman 356242 (90 gr.).
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee 95 grainer with the flatpoint. It works but I have to powdercoat and size at 357 to prevent leading. It feeds very good through my Lcp.

Boolit Master

Lee 358-105 six cavity.

Boolit Master
    I no longer have any .380s, but used to load for a Makarov, a couple of Walthers, and a Colt. As I recall, best accuracy was with a Lyman flat nose design that weighed just over 100 grains. An RCBS 93 grain roundnose and a SAECO 122 grain flat nose deserve honorable mention. I tried a four or five powders; 231 was the winner.
    Last edited by lotech; 01-22-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'm using a RCBS 115 gr. cast I also use in my 9mm glock. Feed is no problem, but overall length is very important so it fits in magazines. Magazine needs to be fully loaded with ammo before settling on your OAL. My first loads were all within the specs of book data on OAL, and first cartridge into mag fit fine and chambered ok. When I went to load a magazine I found that all cartridges after the first was a tad too long and the nose was rubbing badly so had to shorten OAL a bit more. A learning experience I have not had from glocks, Bersa's or Colts. This issue was a Browning 10-71 in 380.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I had a Taurus TCP but ended up with a Ruger LCP2. I use the Lee 356 102-1R. I shot it the most in the Taurus, it works in the Ruger as well. There was never a problem in either pistol.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The Lee moulds weren't available when I had the 380s . I bought the NOE 358-95 RF . It shot well enough for what the guns were , an LCP and a G42 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I used to cast a 90 gr. RCBS RN for a buddy's suppressed Class III MAC.
    It did a good job. We never really tried to find out its accuracy potential.
    Our thoughts on that was that if you missed with the first shot, there was still 49 more in the magazine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee TL-356-95 RF in a couple of Ruger LCP's. We both PC and tumble lube them. Feed and cycle with no problem.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a Lee TL-356-95RF.

Crandell what size are you sizing your bullets to if you are sizing them? Thanks.

I have a first gen LCP and the Lee 102 grn rn mold (with my alloy it drops at about 105.) I load with 2.5 grns. of Unique and find it can be quite accurate out to 40 Yds and pleasant to shoot. (A plus with the LCP.) It will drop an eight inch steel plate at 40 yds. when I can do my part.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

In the 80's I used #358345 SWC in a .380 with the polygonal bore.
    It was what I had and worked very well in that piece.
    If I was trying to work up a load for a .380 now I'd go for a round nose, reliable feeding being everything.

Boolit Master
    Like Finster101, the Lee 358-105 SWC shoots very well in many 380's.

Boolit Master

Count me another fan of the lil LEE 356-95RF mold!!!

I ordered a MP 357-93 mold too and like that for its HP and friendly feeder TC shape.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 102 worked fine in my Sig and Ruger LCP. Tumble lubed quick and easy to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Iowa....I size them to .356" If you have any other questions, you can PM me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the RD 358-100RF molds, the parent of the Lee 356-95rf and use it almost exclusively. I do have an NOE 358-88 RFHP 2 cavity mold that I got a few years back when I couldn't get hollow-point components. I can and have made HP's for my 380's, but the Ranch Dog remains my favorite. I have a Lyman 2 cavity 356-242, but life's too short for slow casting molds.
    Except for the ones intended for my LCP, I size them .357. The LCP prefers .356.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-26-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.