Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint pain supplements

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Golden Raisins, in a plastic container with a airtight lid.
    Cover with Bombay Sapphire Gin.
    Let marinate for 2 weeks. You can add a couple of spoons full of honey if it sets your mouth on fire.

All of the above = drunk raisins, and for some people a spoonfull a day makes a big difference.
    You don't have to use the $$$ Bombay Sapphire, but you do want a good gin flavored with real Juniper Berry's.

For me when my hips used to act up, it was 3 to 4 days immobilized sitting on a heating pad until I baked it back out.
    The drunk raisin's usually cut my down time down to a day to a day and a half. And if I remember to take a spoon full every other week or so it keeps it from coming around at all.

The Golden raisins do work better IMO. The Bombay Gin is not cheap. What price is pain worth? Or to be pain free?
    I like it! Been drinking Bombay Sapphire gin martinis for about 25 years now. I have found that after drinking copious amounts of Sapphire gin in the form of numerous martinis that although my joint pain is not eased I generally don’t care anymore!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

ANY -- lotion, potion, pill, or procedure, will work for about 75% of the folks who take them. It's simple placebo effect, and you can't say it isn't real.

I've settled in on what I call my "Theory of Come and Go-ness". Any time I get a new ache or pain, or other health issue, I simply deal with it for about three weeks and it usually and mysteriously disappears. So far this has saved me a lot of money on lotions, potions, pills, and supplements. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

1)I've grown to like the taste of turmeric spice in my morning eggs.
    2)Turmeric and Ginger tea.
    3)Chaga Tea seems to help joint pain also. Drinking a cup right now. Chaga grows wild on our Northern Minnesota Birch trees and tastes great.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    I've taken glucosamine-chondroitin (1500mg glucosamine and 1200mg chondroitin daily) for about 20 years. I started having knee pain back then and went to the orthopedic doc who x-rayed and told me I was developing osteoarthritis in both knees. He recommended the above dose of g-c, told me to get the cheapest I could find because in its basic form it's all the same. I've been using Walmart Spring Valley Triple Strength for many years; works for me. It takes a few weeks to really start working.

I've asked every orthopedic doctor I've been to if they "believe" in g-c. It's about 50/50, with most of them thinking it works for some people and not for others. One arrogant windbag essentially insulted me for believing in folklore, but he couldn't explain why my knees quit hurting when I took it and hadn't hurt since.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was taking the max dose of Celebrex for over 15 years. I stopped eating cereals including flour and I haven’t needed any anti inflammatory medicine for my joints for more than two years. Lost weight too.

Boolit Bub
    I have also got too the point where I don’t mind turmeric with my morning eggs. Went firm OE to scrabble with turmeric.

While I brother die is important, I have not seen very much relief from it. In the last 20 years I came to accept that this pain isn’t going away and there are just going to be some really bad days (might be weather related, I cannot say for sure).

The best and most important thing I ever did was take up bicycling and ensuring I stay hydrated. Walking and running are not even possible. The stretches that I’ve been doing the last 20 years seem to do more good after a bike ride, not sure if it’s my body temp is up or just more blood flow but I get better results.

Without stretches and bicycling and just sitting around, I get so stiff that I cannot turn my head or move my shoulders, bend over to tie my shoes and many other things.

Wish everyone with this condition the best of luck.

Not

Boolit Master
    I'm threatening to do something, anything to ease the pain in both shoulders. Exercise, medication, whatever it takes. I have enough discomfort now that the response to it will appear soon. Might have to start several different approaches one at a time until I find the better response to it, but it's coming. Soon.

Boolit Buddy

For those adding Turmeric to eggs or other food, how much are you adding?

Boolit Buddy
    This may sound crazy, but borax works for joint pain. An 1/8th teaspoon daily for 5 out of 7 days a week. It will take 6 - 8 weeks before it actually starts to show improvement. After a few months can then start cutting down on the amount.

I'm at the point now where I take a pinch every 4 - 5 days. Typically drink it in water (after my coffee and breakfast).

But it works. I was to the point that after mowing the lawn not being able to get decent sleep for the next 3 - 4 nights. Pain in mostly the shoulders and elbows was bad. Woke up every 40 minutes to turn over.

One source of borax is with the laundry cleaning products...

45_Colt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    ANY -- lotion, potion, pill, or procedure, will work for about 75% of the folks who take them. It's simple placebo effect, and you can't say it isn't real.

I've settled in on what I call my "Theory of Come and Go-ness". Any time I get a new ache or pain, or other health issue, I simply deal with it for about three weeks and it usually and mysteriously disappears. So far this has saved me a lot of money on lotions, potions, pills, and supplements. jd
    ive lived in pain since 1974. over a dozen operations. a knee, ankle and two hip replacements. Broken back thats been operated on 8 times. Only thing that really works are narcotics and thanks but id rather the pain. I take anti inflamatorys and tylenol and once ever week or so have to step up to tylenol 3. But all of that is to get by. Pain is just part of my life and ive surrendered to that. Like hoodat said 90 precent of people toteing some erb or majic potion advertised by larry elder on tv or some other celebrity doesnt know what real pain is. Same with medical pot. Ive smoked my share of it when young and know exactly what i does and what i doesnt. It does not stop pain. It might let you sit in a chair drewling with a bag of doritos that making you fatter and adding to your problem. My cure is to get up off my but and buck up and take it and stay active. It means sleeping in the recliner about 75 percent of the time but so be it.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I stated at the beginning, I take about 2 grams of red yeast rice for cholesterol since I can't tolerate the RX statins. It has worked well for me. I bought a cheap $20 mixer at wallyworld meant for "smoothies". I use V8 juice, or a store brand similar, pour about an inch in it and add the RYR. But I do the same with turmeric, about 2 grams into the same mix. The V8 has enough solids in it that the powdered stuff stays suspended for enough time to drink it down. When I started the RYR and Turmeric, I weighed out out on my powder scale which converts to grams. A rounded/heaped 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon is about right for both. One spoon of each, swirled around and drink it down. I found it easy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osage View Post
    For those adding Turmeric to eggs or other food, how much are you adding?
    It's a relative thing. Just sprinkle on. For me it's about 4 parts turmeric 1 part black pepper. Some say black pepper gets the turmeric activated better. IDK about that one. It sure does a good job of turning your food orange yellow
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornSutton View Post
    I think I stated at the beginning, I take about 2 grams of red yeast rice for cholesterol since I can't tolerate the RX statins. It has worked well for me. I bought a cheap $20 mixer at wallyworld meant for "smoothies". I use V8 juice, or a store brand similar, pour about an inch in it and add the RYR. But I do the same with turmeric, about 2 grams into the same mix. The V8 has enough solids in it that the powdered stuff stays suspended for enough time to drink it down. When I started the RYR and Turmeric, I weighed out out on my powder scale which converts to grams. A rounded/heaped 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon is about right for both. One spoon of each, swirled around and drink it down. I found it easy.
    Red rice yeast contains what the stating also contain. I used to be able to take the yeast but it started giving me the same side effects as statins with additional low back pain.

If you are looking to get rid of your joint pain, start by reducing or ideally cutting processed carbohydrates from your diet.

Boolit Grand Master

Turmeric and exercise for me. Stretching and bending, just plain walking behind a mower. Best thing there is is to get the joint moving
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If you think it helps, it does, for you. Movement is the best remedy, walking, building stuff, working your hands and body mostly makes things better, and NO VACATIONS from the movement, you'll just get stiff and more sore. I did have a hip replacement, a couple horse wrecks in my 20's and 30's (1970's,80's) finally caught up, works good again. Just had cataract surgery, that is good too. Right hand has arthritis from farrier work, works OK, may have to check into some replacement knuckles. Spare parts technology is getting really good.

Boolit Master
    wish i could find a magic supplement that works, but for now just have to live life by doing what I can when I can. get my turmeric by eating Indian food, im not much for supplements or pills but chelated multi minerals are about the only one that ever did anything for me. it supposedly helps promote overall health, improves immune system and does something good to bones and muscles and its said to even cure mood disorders.
    yeah a lot of supplement sellers make all kinds of claims.
    ive been picking at a guitar for 50 years and the joint pain has gotten in the way but I try to flex my painful joints as much as possible
    there is probably nothing better than trying to stay as active as possible. as long as your not doing damage pushing through the pain can be as easy as just thinking about the pain that others endure to accomplish a task such as navy members trying to endure the rigors of a BUDS class.
    Last edited by farmbif; 05-27-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Glucosamine-Chondroitin 1200mg/day for about 20 years now. An orthopedic doc suggested I started taking it for early-stage osteoarthritis in my knees (confirmed by x-ray). Pain-free ever since. He told me to go to Walmart and get the cheap store brand because it works as well as the designer formulations. I've asked doctors if they "believe" in G-C ever since and the ones I've talked to are about 50/50. I had one pompous so-and-so practically accuse me of believing in witch doctors for using G-C. He's the only one who wasn't at least receptive to trying it.

My BIL who is 70 and panics over every new ache and pain because he thinks he should feel like he's still in his 30s started having knee pain recently so he went to his orthopedic doc. Guess what? Glucosamine-Chondroitin was recommended and his doc even told him to get the cheapest he could find at the big box store of his choice.

Boolit Master
    I take gluecosamine and tercumin. Only notice the added pain after 4-5 days without either one. So buy two bottles at the same time so I don't run out. Frank

Boolit Master

Glucosamine and chondroitin helped me on joints where I still had cartilage, but once its gone there is not much to do except replace the joint. As my Doctor told me, you will know when it's time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast