WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint pain supplements

Boolit Buddy

Joint pain supplements

Anyone take a supplement for joint pain, not a prescription. There are many in searching, but which one works or not?

There is tumeric, Chondroitin and Glucosamine , fish oil, SAMe, and many others. Hard to say which is best. I have typical osteoarthritis in hands and wrists, but I find I have similar issues with hips and knees.

Suggestions appreciated.

Boolit Master

I take the first four on your list, but the best treatment I've found is exercise. Working those joints. Not to set any weight records, but to complete 3 sets of 10 twice a week at the Y. Every week, I move better and with fewer snaps, crackles and pops.

Boolit Master
    Same here. I take the first four on the list. The key is keep moving. It hurts more the less you move. Diet is a key also. There are entire diets made to keep down inflammations.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Scotch?
    Sorry.
    Persons who regularly take that product that consists of freeze-dried vegetables in capsules(?) have told me that they could tell some difference, "after a while". When I inquire more closely, they say that they can't really notice a difference while they're taking it, but seem to notice that their symptoms return to usual when they skip the capsules for a few days. THAT describes every NSAID that I've ever used for OA and related orthopedic maladies.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

I take the Chondroitin and Glucosamine , fish oil, and the type 1,2,3 collagen. My Uncle had me try the collagen after telling him my left knee was so arthritic that doc told me after the MRI nothing can be done. Within a few weeks I could even get it to "pop" when it got stiff and has been really good for a few years now.

Boolit Master
    Glucosamine and chondroitin have been given to race horses for decades! Good stuff, when used properly as a preventative. Unfortunately people get the idea that it’s a cure-all and going to reverse damage that’s already done. It’s not! If there’s actual damage done to your joints from arthritis or in my case my knee joint being bone on bone since I was 19. All of glucosamine and chondrointin in the world are not going to correct a physical problem that already exists. It will not regrow and replaced damaged bone damaged and missing Cartlidge or anything else for that matter. It’s not some magic pixie dust that’s going to fix your bad joints.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I hear you, getting old stinks( but it beat the alternative). My 88 year old dad has it bad, especially in his hands and knees and says that Blue Imu really helps him. I do agree that gentle movement and stretching is helpful . Those injuries you thought you recovered from in your 20’s, 30’s, 40’ , etc. come back to haunt you in your 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, etc.

Boolit Master

I do take a fish oil and a flax seed oil. I take those because SWMBO puts them in a little cup and gives them to me at dinner. I know who makes dessert around here so I take them.
    As far as a joint supplement I have tried lots of them. What I have found is they all contain the same chemicals. They are not sourced from the same stuff however. You need to try several until you find the one your body absorbs. I used to take Joint Juice but they got in trouble over some of their claims and went broke. I now take the Nutrilite twist tubes.
    If I stop taking them I start hurting after about 3 days. So any that you try you need to take for at least a week to see if they help.
    Good luck and I hope you find a combo that helps you!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    I have recently been using tumeric tea, and the difference has been startling! I've abused my body, like most of us here, and so my knees hate me! After several days of drinking a cup of the tea each day, I realized my right knee no longer hurt, my left knee hurts significantly less. Granted, your milage may vary, but I will be using the tumeric tea from now on!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Golden Raisins, in a plastic container with a airtight lid.
    Cover with Bombay Sapphire Gin.
    Let marinate for 2 weeks. You can add a couple of spoons full of honey if it sets your mouth on fire.

All of the above = drunk raisins, and for some people a spoonfull a day makes a big difference.
    You don't have to use the $$$ Bombay Sapphire, but you do want a good gin flavored with real Juniper Berry's.

For me when my hips used to act up, it was 3 to 4 days immobilized sitting on a heating pad until I baked it back out.
    The drunk raisin's usually cut my down time down to a day to a day and a half. And if I remember to take a spoon full every other week or so it keeps it from coming around at all.

The Golden raisins do work better IMO. The Bombay Gin is not cheap. What price is pain worth? Or to be pain free?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Glucosamine w/condroitin here. And fish oil.

I started shooting bows @ 55 years old and forgot my age. It was going good so I got a 70# Matthews and shot 100 arrows every day,all year round.

Then my right shoulder got on fire. Couldn't sleep,shoot bow, pistols or or even put hand in my back pocket, no painkillers worked. I started glucosamine and was back shooting after a month. Stop glucosamine and pain came back.

Now after a couple of years, 59 in March, still on glukosamine, my shoulder has been mysteriously pain free, I even shoot big bore rifles again. I also changed my lo carb diet to even lower carbs (keto) about two years ago.

Boolit Master
    I do the supper beets also but the results are still out on that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been taking glucosamine/chondriatin for at least 20 years - I was walking with knee pain and using a cane. After about a year of using it I tossed the cane, after two years I was pain free. Stopped it, and within six weeks the pain was back. I've been taking it ever since. Told my brother about it, he started using it and he is pain free in his knees for the first time in years and his shoulder pain is receding.
    I asked my neurosurgeon why it worked for my knees but not for my back. His statement was that "we have found that it works well for large joints but does not work well for the small joints."
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Diet is a factor.

Take the time get tested for food allergies. Most food allergies go unnoticed because the inflammation is internal, gut inflammation being the most common.

Joint inflammation can be triggered from this.

Long term, persistent conditions can sometimes be eased by appropriate diet changes.

Don't rely on just one medical opinion. A doctor can only identify what they have experience with.

You know you need another doctor if you get told the pain is just in your mind, there's nothing physically wrong with you.

Great advice here. The human body is a very complicated machine and what works for one might not for another. Also injury and damage varies. One needs to experiment to see what works for your situation. But it does seem that exercise, heat and cold therapy and NSAID’s work universally.

Moderator Emeritus

I've taken Chondroitin and Glucosamine for maybe a decade. they help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I take the first four on your list, but the best treatment I've found is exercise. Working those joints. Not to set any weight records, but to complete 3 sets of 10 twice a week at the Y. Every week, I move better and with fewer snaps, crackles and pops.
    I agree. Our backyard is big enough to allow for a 1/8 mile walking track. Walking two miles every day has done more for my joints than any over the counter pills, and I have tried several of them.

Boolit Master

I take the first four. SWMBO builds us supplement packs and I take them. Best to not tick her off; she could poison me very easily. It’s apparently very important to take turmeric that has black pepper (piper nigrum, also called BioPirene by one manufacturer) in it. Black pepper is said to increase the effectiveness by up to 4000%. That claim seems pretty wild but it apparently helps.

If I take the turmeric every day morning and evening the arthritis in the back of my thumb and my one original equipment knee don’t bother me. I can tell if I miss a dose. If I miss two consecutive doses it reminds me with a vengeance.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

This stuff worked a miracle for me. Thought maybe I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It took both hands to get a fork picked up. The Doc who did that kind of work told me not Carpal, it was arthritis. Gave me a few alternatives. Then said, "OK, that was my Doctor to patient talk, What I'm going to say next, I can't say as a Doctor so I'm gonna tell you as one friend to another (we'd just met). Try concentrated tart cherry juice, lots of folks I treat tell me it really helps."
    A few days of taking it and I was completely normal again. I have recommended it to many over the years and it seems to work for about 20-25% of them.
    A couple spoonfuls a day when I start to hurt til I get better.
    As always, hope it works for you.
    Dennis

https://freshpickswa.com/product/tar...concentrate-2/

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious why nobody uses SAMe? From what I've read, it is an anti-inflammatory that is similar to the RX Celebrex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast