MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Own a new full-size Bronco or Jeep Wrangler soft-top? Can't rent a U-Haul trailer.

Boolit Master

Own a new full-size Bronco or Jeep Wrangler soft-top? Can't rent a U-Haul trailer.

I am driving down to Arizona to pick up the Harley I bought a couple of weeks ago and the plan is to drive down there in my 4Runner, rent a U-Haul cargo trailer in Arizona, then load the bike in it and bring it back home.

So, I go online and make the trailer reservation. No problem.

Then I get an email from U-Haul stating that I have to have my vehicle and towing equipment inspected by U-Haul prior to picking up the trailer. Fine. I imagine quite a few yahoos have rented a trailer and tried to tow it with insufficient or damaged gear.

But then, I see where U-Haul states that if my SUV has an open or soft top, then I cannot rent U-Haul equipment. Weird. Then they say if I am towing with a convertible car, then that's OK.

I cannot figure out why in the heck U-Haul would prohibit a soft-top Wrangler Unlimited or Ford Bronco from towing ANY trailer, but that a `77 Cadillac Eldorado convertible is just fine.

Any ideas?

Attachment 295532
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Bub

trailer

Some home depots have utility trailers for rent.

Boolit Buddy
    Only thing I can think of is this:
    - Short, tall, vehicle is prone to rollover
    - Drivers inexperienced with towing exacerbate the problem
    - Driver gets in trouble towing, vehicle rolls, occupants are more likely to be injured or killed if the vehicle has no top or a soft top.
    - Survivors sue U-Haul for damages, etc.

Convertible sedans are likely exempt since they have a lower CG and are less likely to roll over.

So, basically, liability concerns. Doesn't really make sense, honestly, but people are litigious and U-Haul wants to cover their butts.

Moderator Emeritus

My heart is out to you! Recently I rented a U-Haul trailer with similar, but slightly different -- for lack of a better word, "garbage"! I elected to rent their largest trailer and reserved it on-line. *BUT* when I got to pick it up, I was nixed because my truck is not big enough. Huh? It is a Tacoma TRD Off-Road with the Atkinson 6 engine, factory towing package, CURT 10,000 pound 2" drawbar with 10K-rated Convert-ball 2 5/16" ball. The Toyota book rates it at 6,000 pounds towing. PLENTY, like more than double, my anticipated weight!
    I explained, showed, and re-explained there is a difference between the 2WD 4-cylinder "base" Tacoma, and my model. I even volunteered to ring ANY Toyota dealer of U-Haul's pick to get info. Finally, albeit not my favourite action, I politely said it was OK to be refused, but I would not leave until I got this refusal in writing, signed by manager. Off-handedly, I added my barristers surely would require that before they brought suit against him, as well as U-Haul. (Good thing he didn't inquire what he might get sued for )
    Anyhoos, after quite a few "you're on your own, and "I put a note in your file..." bologna -- I drove off into the sunset with the trailer. (Had nary a problem and returned it in same, if not better shape, then when I left with it. Manager even came out, kind of apologized with "safety concerns" nonsense coming out of his mouth, and I wished him a good day)
    P.S.: If you should ever com across most any Lake Ontario fisherman -- we all know that any profanity is severely verboten over the VHF radio -- you might, with a smile on your face, ask what "Have a Good Day" really means...
    Too bad re your experience. At least I got my trailer...
    geo

Boolit Master

Seems U-Haul is not very consistent in business practices. I went to my local U-Haul to ask about a military discount and they said they give one, but are the only U-Haul in the region that does so. They said the one in Yuma where I am picking up the trailer probably doesn't, since there are military bases in the area and they would lose too much money.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy a used trailer, and sell it after the trip.

I think kerplode is close to your answer.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

A friend rented a u haul truck to move with. It was a bigger ford enclosed box single real axle with air over hydraulic brakes. Want a real long move, about 25 miles. He asked me to drive it since it was almost as same as our farm truck. Picked it up and got to the first house loaded everything up and we started for the next to unload. In the trip back just out of the first town, last stop to country roads I lost the brakes. Eased over to side of road and we discussed it. take truck back to u-haul transfer load and finish way later than planned or limp it to house unload and take back the next day as planned. I parked it put in the far lot and went in the kid behind the desk took keys and I told d him the brakes were out on it. No concern or offer of refund but did complain about where I parked it and that he would have to move it.

When its your truck everything has to be perfect but theirs oh well

Boolit Grand Master
    I went to rent a car hauler trailer from U-haul a few years ago. They said my truck couldn't handle the weight of the trailer and the tractor I was going to pick up (about 6500lbs total weight, trailer and tractor) and I had to rent one of their trucks.
    A 2007 Duramax wasn't up to the task????
    So, I replaced the boards on my trailer floor and a couple of tires and went and picked up the tractor.

Boolit Master
    Back in'02 I rented a two axle uhaul trailer (with no tail lights) in Lebanon NH then towed it to Mesa AZ with my Tacoma. Probably towed total 2 tons, plus my luggage in the Tacoma. Toy has 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, 160 hp downhill at redline. No problem. Mesa was no fun so I drove the Toy to North Pole (without a trailer), retired, towed an Aluma trailer with two quads to Tucson, down the Alcan in November. I still have that Toy, commuted to work NoPo to Fairbanks for 10 years, has 228k, original clutch.

+1 on post 6! Your trailer lights will work. (I made a lightbar, strapped it on top.)

Boolit Master
    A U-Haul depot owner is sitting right here beside me, he said to check the box as hard cover and explain it when you arrive.
    (I know I live in a small town - and I really hope YMM doesn't V)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    A U-Haul depot owner is sitting right here beside me, he said to check the box as hard cover and explain it when you arrive.
    (I know I live in a small town - and I really hope YMM doesn't V)

My 4Runner is a hard top, so no issue for me. Just found it weird that U-Haul hated soft-top SUVs, but not soft-top cars.

I was once turned down for a small U-Haul trailer because my Jeep was a stick shift. Automatic would have been OK, they said.

Helped a friend to move from Massachusetts to Virginia in 2001. Ryder 17 foot box leaked oil so fast that I bought oil by the gallon to keep it from seizing. I reckon the shop that rented it to us knew it, and fobbed it off on us because they knew it wouldn't be their problem anymore.

When it was time to retire in 2009, from MI to Ohio, I BOUGHT a much-used 17 footer, rather than rent. Made three trips. Once everything was settled at the BOL, it became a workshop. Still is.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My 4Runner is a hard top, so no issue for me. Just found it weird that U-Haul hated soft-top SUVs, but not soft-top cars.
    Oh, thank you.
    My misunderstanding.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't rent a trailer for wife's explorer because of rollover history

Wouldn't rent for my Ram2500 w/Cummins because of age

Maybe if I showed up with a Prius they'd say: "Fine!"
    Last edited by Ed K; 01-30-2022 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Prius

Had the same experience with our Explorers but since Ford replaced the undersized crap tires that were causing all the rollovers Explorers are fine but U-Won’t-Haul still can’t rent you a trailer if you own a Explorer. Borrow or buy a small trailer.

Boolit Master

They wouldn't rent to me when I showed up in an Explorer about 17 years ago. Went home and went back in my Nissan pickup. Towed the trailer back to the house and hooked up to the Explorer. The next day took the empty trailer back with the pickup.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Best thing I can say about all this is "stay away from U HAUL". I can say from personal experience their stuff is not well maintained. Had on run out of gas with the guage showing half full. Stopped to gas one up and put about 5 gallons later had it all over my feet. Guage showing half a tank.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Buy a used trailer, and sell it after the trip.

I think kerplode is close to your answer.
    The problem with this, at least in MN, is that Trailers are now like Primers, if you can find them, you'll be paying from than prepandemic retail.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

We had a 2003 explorer and rented trailers from uhaul from time to time. Went to go rent one and was told I could no longer rent a trailer if using that explorer. So we just bought a trailer. We pulled a camper all over the midwest with that explorer which come to find out makes a crappy tow vehicle because of the aluminum rear differential housing flexing which is a known issue. Had the ring and pinion replaced at 66k and 95k. When it started making the slightest bit of noise at 120K we traded it in.

Boolit Master
    it might just have to do with what some bean counter came up with looking at some risk assessment tables or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast