RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for the .32 Short Colt

Boolit Mold

Reloading for the .32 Short Colt

Trying to do something unusual. I want to reload .32 Short Colt. I am aware that it has been obsolete for some time. I have an excellent Colt New Line in .32. But I have several questions.

<1 Where would I come by reloading dies for .32 Short Colt caliber (This is NOT the .32 New Police….)

<2 If I am unable to obtain any dies, does anyone know the EXACT dimensions for this cartridge and its associated bullet? (I have seen places that provide such dimensions, but they often seem to conflict in some form or another.)

<3 If I machine a sizing die (I am capable of doing this), does anyone know if any existing dies from other calibers would work for de-priming and seating?

<4 Now brass. I would love to obtain 50 or 100 pieces of brass. If I cannot, does anyone know if it has ever been accomplished that other existing brass caliber has been resized &/or turned down to achieve the correct dimensions?

My goal is not to turn this revolver into a daily shooter. I would likely just shoot it a few times. I hate to own a gun that cannot be shot. But I would likely want to play with loads to get it right before I quit, so shooting vintage ammo is not what I am after. I would instead use the brass to reload…… Thanks!

Boolit Master
    It can be accomplished with 32 ACP dies with some effort, and I believe that 32 S&W will also. Depending on your groove diameter, you may be using a heeled bullet. The Marlin that I have is able to use regular 0.313" bullets with a hollow base / skirt. I use the 32 ACP crimp die to reduce the flare.
    32 SC can be formed from 32 S&W, but brass isn't all that difficult to find if you look.
    Very cool cartridge that is pretty much the CF version of the 32 RF.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    From the standpoint of the brass. When dealing with a person who says they have .32 (Short or Long) Colt brass, what would I be able to tell the seller, to ensure he knows he has .32 S or L Colt brass, and not .32 Colt New Police brass?

Sorry, I do not know this already, but I have never owned a gun in either of these two calibers before................

Boolit Master
    Either will fit the bill if you trim the long variety (about 3/8" longer than the SC).
    The head stamp should indicate which it is unless you get some antique ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Occasionally, the old Ideal hand tools (predecessors to the 310) will show up on flea Bay, but be careful. Prices are all over the place. Ideally you might find one with the bullet mould integral. A decapping pin with that tool and you would be in business.

How much effort are you willing to expend on this project? You can probably set up to load with some fairly simple construction. As a machinist, you can make push through size die like the old Lyman/Ideal style. Many people use a hammer to drive cases in, but I find my little arbor press does a much nicer job. If you get/make a sizing die you should be able to size 32 S&W brass down to fit… you may have to turn the cases down a bit at the web, but I doubt that would be necessary.

Decapping? I use a 310 tool with a universal decapping die, or just use the pin and base from Lee and hit the pin with a plastic mallet. If you don’t have anything better, a dowel (wood or metal) can be used to push the case down onto the case on a hard, flat surface (the Lee “whack-a-mole” system) to seat the new primer. Bullet can be the proper size of buckshot seated by hand. If you flare the case a little, the sizing die you made can close that up on your seated buckshot.

If you only want a few rounds to prove you can do it, there are all sorts of work arounds, particularly if you have a lathe and can make a simple die. BTW, what gun will you be making these rounds for??

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    The gun in question is a Colt New Line in .32 Short Colt. Any idea on the correct diameter for the sizing die? I have seen a couple of different diameters listed. I could of course make it to fit my exact chambers, but would like to know if anyone has an exact factory diagram of this cartridge setup. Here are a couple of images of the gun. Sweet...............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt_NewLine_32_Overview Small.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	294957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt_NewLine_32_Overview2 Small.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	294958

Boolit Grand Master
    Have you checked Cartridges of the World? I would look it up for you but I’ve mislaid my copy.

Boolit Mold
    Jack Harrison, SingleShots@charter.net has everything you need.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you will go to the rimfire section; there is a 30+ page long thread about the converting brass to fit the various .32 RF chambers, which match the dimensions of the .32 Colt rounds, both Short and Long.

The .32 ACP/S&W dies wont work, they are too large in diameter. Inside lubed vs. outside lubed cartridges.

You might also get lucky enough to find a box of the recent run of .32 Short Colt made by Winchester. I bought a box of it a few years ago (pre-panic) for $38.00.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

CH4D had them. I got my 32 long colt from them a bunch of years ago.. Huntington used to make them special but it will cost you. Started looking them up and no idea if CH4D is still in business. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, silly me. Dennis G's mention of singleshots made it all come together. I already have one of Jack's kits for the .32 RF. Jack said that this same sizing die will work for the .32 Short/Long Colt (NOT the .32 Colt New Police). Ordered some of his resized brass for this caliber also. He makes them from .32 S&W Long cases.

With that I should be good to go. Will report back when I see how it went. Thanks all!

I have some 32 colt (long and short) have the same problem...don't want to use it all up if I can't reload for it. Been looking for a "hand reloading kit" if there is a machinist or hobbyist out there that can make a set, I'd be interested. And I think there would be a couple more people too.

Edit..."Jack's kit" who is jack....and where would I find one of his kit.i shot 32 rf too, so it would be a two for one thing....know I getting excited!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just picked up a full box of 32 (Short) Colt ammo (@ a shoot… tailgate swaps). I only got it because I thought I might use it in a CF conversion in a Ballard or a low wall 32 rf. Are they in demand?

Froggie

I'm in canada....don't know about the US...but they can be hard to find up here. Our market is a lot...smaller.

Boolit Mold
    Quinnbrian, re-read the thread again. dennis g answered that question. I bought from Jack last year (2021). You will have to check if he is still around. He did sell on GunBroker.com but I could not find him when I just looked. GunBroker has become bad since they were bought out......... Here is a link to a "Guns Magazine" article about his kits: https://gunsmagazine.com/ammo/reload...he-32-rimfire/

Email him for information:
    Jack Harrison
    SingleShots@charter.net

Good luck !!

Thanks will look into it.

I just made a kit of parts for Lyman nutcracker handles that reload .32 Colt. A Letter O drill bushing is the key element. A couple of tubular spacers made on the lathe, a seater stem made on the lathe. There is no need to muzzle size before loading, since the bullet is heeled. My setup actually has the seater stem spring-loaded, to hold the bullet firmly in place while the drill bushing does a taper crimp. All of this fits into one of the long 310 universal decapper die bodies. It does involve cutting the decapping stem off short, but I had a broken one to use so I didn't spoil a good one.

I now decap with a pin and a mallet. I modified my plain steel handles to add the hole and the stud to press in a fresh primer, like some of the higher grade handles had.

I can make the kit decap with a loose "spud" like the old .38 Special die sets did, but I haven't actually made the parts yet.

Can send you an AutoCAD sketch, or a .jpg file of the setup. All you need to start with is a set of handles (any caliber) and the long decapping die.

BTW there's no reason this concept can't be adapted to use the Lee "Universal Expander" (which it's not) die body, if you prefer. Ideal handles and dies are harder to come by and more expensive.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-02-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    uscra112, I use Fusion 360, can you provide the sketch in a format that will work in Autodesk 360? Thanks!

I'm a dinosaur - using an old, old copy of AutoCAD Lite, but it can output a .dxf file your system ought to be able to import. P/M your regular email addy to me. Can't do attachments thru the CB system.
    Cognitive Dissident

Hello Guys,

I did form .32 S&W (Star-Line) without having to turn the base by using a forming block with 4 holes stepped .005".
    I'm sure the Primer Pocket and charge passage did get deformed,
    but my intentions were to drill through for a .27 Tool Cartridge for primer & charge.
    After forming 100 cases I did notice some deformation on the block,
    but I used 1018 Cold Rolled and should have used a tool steel & hardened it.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forming Block.jpg  
    Last edited by AntiqueSledMan; 05-04-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast