WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

I have been reloading since March of 1986 and should probably know this, but I don't. Rifle powders are often referred to by numbers i.e. 4895, 4831, 4198 etc.

What do the numbers stand for?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Ill bump this dumb question as I too would like to know if there is a rhyme to the reason here.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Bub
    Following, popular belief is that they are simply just identification numbers for manufactures and consumers. Would like to know if there is any other significance to them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

They stand for nothing. Like Glock Model Numbers.

Everything I've read sounds like the numbers and some of the names are rather arbitrary.
    Sort of like the names for cars and don't really relate the animals they're named after.
    (Mustang, cougar, impala, etc.)

One example is H380 was named that after it was developed because 38.0 grains of it was a favorite for Bruce Hodgdon's .22-250.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-21-2022 at 01:24 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Powder names make a little sense, Bullseye is an old powder developed for target pistol shooters, Red Dot has red flakes in it, Clays and Clay Dot are shotgun powders but work great in cas rifle and pistol loads. Tin Star and Trailboss are cas powders. Can’t think of any others.

The old Norma Magnum Rifle Powder( MRP) was easy to figure out. Other than that or Varmint/ Target= “Varget”; I’m clueless.

Moderator Emeritus

lil'gun was designed for 410 shotgun. that's a little gun
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I think 2400 allowed .22Hornet to reach 2400FPS with .40gr or .45gr bullet ??? maybe ?

Unique; cause you can use it in anything.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the "4895, 4831, and 4198" numbers were the old Dupont product codes as in IMR4895 was the designator for "Improved Military Rifle (powder) #4895", etc.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

3031 was introduced as a standard for the new 30 caliber cartridge introduced by Winchester in 1895. 31 grains of this new powder was the proper load, but I don't remember which bullet it was intended for. So the 3031 referred to 30 caliber, 31 grains.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

The numbers are code numbers for specific scientific chemical formulas. By Federal law, no propellent may carry the same code ID unless its performance is within 10% of the average performance of that code # as in an existing ID. This is the actual reason for, the back off 10% and work up.

It is important to know that H, IMR and AA of similar numbers are not the same, close perhaps, but not the same. As always, back off at least 10% and work up.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

But Lil gun works great in the 357 mag. for 180 gr. hard cast bullets.

Rapier:

I would like to know where you got the information regarding the code numbers.

I have read more than once in the reloading magazines that they mean nothing regarding the chemical composition of the powder. But, I could understand that some of them might have had some significance when they were first invented. There are more examples of the name being derived subjectively than there are of it being part of a chemical code.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The numbers are code numbers for specific scientific chemical formulas. By Federal law, no propellent may carry the same code ID unless its performance is within 10% of the average performance of that code # as in an existing ID. This is the actual reason for, the back off 10% and work up.

It is important to know that H, IMR and AA of similar numbers are not the same, close perhaps, but not the same. As always, back off at least 10% and work up.
    Please provide a source or reference for this?

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/wh...s-mean.417357/

Unfortunately the meanings are esoteric. There is no scheme useful to understanding.

Different companies have different numbering schemes, based on their own history.

No, larger numbers are not slower. Hodgdon's 869 is so slow the sun comes up before burn is complete.
    4895 is faster than 4831. 4064 is between the two. Go figure.

No, numbers aren't a product of some technical characteristic.
    H380 was named because Bruce Hodgdon liked 38.0 grains in his 22-250.

Go look up a conversion chart from ADI (an Australian company) and our U.S. powders.
    You'll see that each company has some scheme that makes sense only to them
    for the very same exact powders that each relabels with its own number!

IMR numbering (4895, 4831, 4064) originated with R&D development to meet government contracts.
    Like M16 and M1 (used twice!) and M9 and M240 for US military guns.
    Probably had something to do with purchase order numbers, not technical characteristics.
    Often lower numbers came after larger numbers, so they aren't even sequential.

Similarly numbered products like IMR4895 vs H4895. We'll use that for example.
    I heard a talk by one of the Hodgdon sons (I don't remember which one)
    which included this question. When 4895 powder is ordered from the mill
    the purchaser sets his own preferences for coatings, flash characteristics,
    amount of carbon for flow and anti-static, dry density, temperature sensitivity,
    energy density (joules per gram), ignition initiation temperature, and so forth.
    It's all 4895, but it can be custom tailored for the purchaser depending upon
    the characteristics each distributor wants to push in its marketing.
    So the two are very similar, if you can develop a great load for your rifle using one of them,
    you will probably be able to develop an excellent load with the other (although
    the two loads will be at different powder charge obviously).

It seems clear that Olin started a numbering system for spherical powders
    (the ones we know as Winchester Ball Powders) where the higher number is slower.
    Not only is 296 slower than 231, but rifle powders like 748 and 760 are way slower.
    But they used to have the 500 and 600 series that were in between 231 and 296,
    and they also have powders like WST and WSF that don't follow the rule, so go figure.

Some manufacturers like Ramshot only use names. Ha! So much for what the numbers mean.

Sorry, but if you hoped to find a magic hidden meaning you are now disappointed.
    But probably a little more knowledgeable anyhow.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Hatcher's Notebook may have the answer.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a fan of Alcan AL-7 (and their AL-5 and AL-8)

Then...
    I am a fan of Accurate Arms No. 7 (and their No. 5 and No. 9)

Then...
    I am a fan of Alliant Reloder 7

Are they using 7, because it's lucky?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    3031 was introduced as a standard for the new 30 caliber cartridge introduced by Winchester in 1895. 31 grains of this new powder was the proper load, but I don't remember which bullet it was intended for. So the 3031 referred to 30 caliber, 31 grains.
    Ummm, no. IMR-3031 was introduced by Dupont in the 1930's, for use in the 30-06 Government cartridge, replacing MR-17 1/2. Charges were 40-47 grains, depending on bullet weight.

Between 1932 and 1936, Dupont released Improved Military Rifle powders 4227, 4198, 3031, 4064 and 4320. Replacing older, WWI era powders, Phil Sharpe rhapsodized these "modern" powders as cleaner, and more efficient that were a boone to pre-WWII reloaders. The numbers have no ballistic significance and were simply assigned to various chemical compositions. One wonders though, were there 3032-4197 powders that didn't make the cut?
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-23-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t count on the names or numbers telling you how much of a change is safe. Always go to a reloading manual for you loads. If you just look at a powder burn rate table, you will see that generally the difference names and numbers don’t usually make any sense. What does make sense is how BP is graded.

I'm always a fan of product numbers or model numbers that make sense. Like aa2,5,7,9. I've never used them but the Reloader series makes sense and you can get an idea of powder speed and appropriate uses from the numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast