Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Magnum LR primers in cast loads

Boolit Master

Magnum LR primers in cast loads

I hope I'm not repeating a discussion topic here. I'm faced with a delima. After my yearn for shooting the big calibers like the .375 H & H and .458 Win Mag, I've downsized over the years and have a stash of Federal 215 Magnum Rifle primers left to the tune of about 4,000. With the primer shortage, I'd like to use them up.
    Now, I've used mag primers in jacketed loads and know that you can get in trouble switching from regular to mag with loads near the top end in jacketed. Been there and done that in the .270 one time.
    My question is. How about using them with cast in the .30/30 and .30/06 instead of regular Large Rifle primers. All loads down in the 17-1900 FPS range and nowhere near top end. Powders in use will be MS4759, MS4198 and Tu2000 left over from the milsurp days of plenty.
    I've used them for years in the .45/70 as it gives better ignition with that big case which can be erratic with some powders.
    Anybody here have any experience with this, especially Larry with his meticulous tests on the small pistol/small rifle switch in the 9mm. That helped a lot.
    I'd offer to trade with other members here on the site but for the hassle of shipping hazmat.
    Anybody have any experience doing this, please weigh in here. I'm sure this question has come up before./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I do it all the time. In fact, for small rifle I only have mag primers at this time. Back about twenty years ago when we had the last major shortage of primers I ended up buying around 40,000 primers at a very good price at a major shooting event in Florida. I’ve been using them off and on since then with no problems at all. I’d suggest you start off a bit from max loads until you see how they perform. I used to think primers were a more exact science/engineering issue. I’ve since found out that there’s not anywhere near the control everyone thinks there is. It’s all over the map in fact. This subject is ongoing on one site or another every day and lately there’s been a lot more “facts” coming out on the subject. I have pictures and charts that tell about the “brissance” of different primers, cup thickness, etc. Depending on the manufacturer and day of the week it’s all subject to change. Larry is “the expert” here and he’s recently posted a lot of new, probably factual (to the best of his ability to collect) info on this subject. There probably should be a sticky on this subject. Anyway, when you’re below th max load listed, closer to the middle, I think you’re OK using your mag primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Short answer - It's OK to use them
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

After I got away from 7mmMag, I had a some LR mag. primers left over and used them for cast in my M1A,
    and .30-06 target loads. I wasn't at max. charges, but if there was a big difference- I'm not smart enough to notice it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

You might offer to trade them one for one for standard LR primers first?

If you use them, you may find they increase velocity a bit with those powders in those cartridges. That increase may bump the load out of its accuracy node. Thus, you may want to reduce the load and work back up to the original velocity. A chronograph is your friend here. Or, since you are not near top end loads there may be no difference in on target results. Just remains to be seen.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry,

Was hoping you would weigh in here. I would trade but the hazmat hassle prevents that.

Kinda what I was figuring on the switch between the two. Have been doing it in the .45/70 for years with no adverse affects but my loads are nowhere near max. I'll start with the 06 and see where that goes as I'm at the beginning of load development on a newly acquired Model 70 and take it from there.

Kinda figured this would be the consensus but thought I'd throw it out and see what the rest of the guys thought. Several minds are better than one in a situation like this.
    Thanks for the replies./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    You might offer to trade them one for one for standard LR primers first?

If you use them, you may find they increase velocity a bit with those powders in those cartridges. That increase may bump the load out of its accuracy node. Thus, you may want to reduce the load and work back up to the original velocity. A chronograph is your friend here. Or, since you are not near top end loads there may be no difference in on target results. Just remains to be seen.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I do it all the time. I just back off the powder load by 10%, try some, and play around from there. Depending on your powder, boolit design, and weight, things will vary. But you are not going to blow something up by swapping primers.

Boolit Master
    beagle--Since you have a quantity of 4K, that might make it worthwhile to see if someone within, say 100 miles of Perryville may wanna swap. Put 'er on Swapping and Selling and see what happens
    I did that with just 1K CCI 250 mags on our local Spokaneguntrader.com and got 1K CCI 200's for them.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!