Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: For Thoought and Meditation - Friday, January 21

For Thoought and Meditation - Friday, January 21

Good morning all. I love the story of Daniel and this message. Have a safe and blessed day.

Friday, January 21, 2022 - Pastor Greg Laurie
    How to Waste Your Energy

"Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation."
    —Hebrews 11:2

If you’re worrying about when you’re going to die, you’re wasting a lot of energy. That is in God’s hands. The Bible says, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27 NKJV).

You will live as long as God wants you to live and not a day longer.

Take, for instance, the men and women in the Bible’s Heroes Hall of Faith: “By faith these people overthrew kingdoms, ruled with justice, and received what God had promised them. They shut the mouths of lions, quenched the flames of fire, and escaped death by the edge of the sword. Their weakness was turned to strength. They became strong in battle and put whole armies to flight” (Hebrews 11:33–34 NLT).

Of course, there’s one person in the Bible we especially associate with the word lions, and that is Daniel. Daniel was a prophet of the Lord, and he served Babylon’s King Darius, who relied on him for his counsel. Daniel’s enemies knew the only way they could remove him from his position of influence was by finding something connected to his faith.

Daniel had an amazing habit of daily prayer, so they convinced the king to sign a decree that no one could pray to anyone except the king for 30 days. But Daniel went home and prayed as he always did, so they arrested him and threw him into a den of lions.

The king had a sleepless night, despite the comforts of the palace. Meanwhile, Daniel slept like a baby in the lions’ den, and God preserved his life. This reminds us of the simple fact that it’s better to be in a lions’ den with God than anywhere else without Him.

God wasn’t done with Daniel yet, and He isn’t done with you yet. So stop worrying and start trusting Him.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master

Detrich Bonhoffer started a true Christian seminary under Hitler's Germany in opposition to the Nazification of the German Church. Eventually each of his students were called up to the war, mostly to the Eastern Front. Dr. Bonhoffer wrote each of them reminding them that, if God has not decided, the bullet that would kill them had not been made, but if God has decided they could not avoid that death. It seems fatalistic, but it truly is God's choice how and when we die, not ours. That is why suicide is such a heinous sin, it puts in my hands what is God's to decide.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Amen, By faith the mouths were shut and God preserved Daniel.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you do something foolish and die as a result, is that due to your choice or God's will?

Maybe a couple of examples...

You jack up a vehicle and do not put axle stands under it. The jack fails and you are crushed.

You put a round in the cylinder of a revolver, spin the cylinder put the gun to you head and pull the trigger. If it fires is that God's way of bringing you home? He can cause that cylinder to stop on an empty chamber if He is not done with you yet. Bonus question. Would that be suicide?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you do something foolish and die as a result, is that due to your choice or God's will?

Maybe a couple of examples...

You jack up a vehicle and do not put axle stands under it. The jack fails and you are crushed.

You put a round in the cylinder of a revolver, spin the cylinder put the gun to you head and pull the trigger. If it fires is that God's way of bringing you home? He can cause that cylinder to stop on an empty chamber if He is not done with you yet. Bonus question. Would that be suicide?
    I agree. The idea that God absolutely controls everything that happens to us is ridiculous and not biblical. If a child is murdered, that's God's will? If my wiring shorts out and I burn alive in my house, that's God's will?

Our longevity is based on genetics, lifestyle and just plain luck (not the superstitious kind). None of these are controlled by God (I've seen lots of fat Christians and even some smokers).

I will conceded that if God absolutely doesn't want you to die at a certain time, you will not. Daniel in the Lion's Den is a good example. But we're all not Daniel...just ask John the Baptist!

Hebrews 9:27 tells of the certainty of death, not the idea that God controls when you die.

Boolit Master

I would say Genetics is controlled by God's Will - Lifestyle, controlled by free will of the individual
    Thank you for the Word and Scripture today
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I would say Genetics is controlled by God's Will - Lifestyle, controlled by free will of the individual
    Thank you for the Word and Scripture today
    God does not control who you marry or even how many kids you decide to have. These decisions are up to the individuals involved. Some parents have better genes than others.

Boolit Master

A study of Genotype, Phenotype and the Genetics of Human Gene expression might be in order
    Last edited by square butte; 01-21-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    A study of Genotype, Phenotype and the Genetics of Human Gene expression might be in order
    From what I understand if your grandparents and parents had diabetes and heart disease, you are probably looking at similar experiences down the road if you're not careful. I also have noticed that some family lines just live longer than others. That's what I mean by genetics.

Boolit Grand Master

By our understanding there are multiple causes of death. God reminds us that all die, there no exceptions - life is one thing you don't survive. To a large degree your quality of life is a result of your choices and understanding. Your ending is always a result of God's choice, weather you see it that way or not. I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes for the past 16 years and control it with diet and exercise. I had the advantage of an early diagnosis and very good doctors and education and the determination to learn how to deal with it. I have been successful according to all the results, no symptoms, blood sugar typically within normal limits.
    Alcoholism is a perfect example - a clear genetic cause but if you don't drink you avoid all the consequences - and it is literally that simple. Genetics are not a death sentence - but do require education and determination to have the quality of life I want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Your ending is always a result of God's choice, weather you see it that way or not.
    I suppose you could see it that way by saying God's decision not to act is his choice that you will die. For example: A man kidnaps a child and kills him. God did not stop the murderer so it was God's choice that child died at that time.

The way I see it, and I believe it is backup with Scripture, is that God allows man to act outside of his will. That is, man does things that God does not want to happen. The Bible shows that God acts to override man's will infrequently.

Boolit Master

Another aspect of this whole genetics deal is that it seems some who live within God's will or are pleasing to God - even with "bad genetics" - are given what appears to be exceptionally good outcomes in terms of life span, health , and accomplishment - regardless of what the science might indicate the outcome would normally be. Of course it's only my opinion or belief. Only God knows for sure.