RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I take the PB or GC bullets to hunt?

Boolit Mold

Should I take the PB or GC bullets to hunt?

Just looking for opinions, I think I've got my loads more or less figured out, but am still unsure wether to take the PB @1450 or GC @1850 (both 92/6/2 alloy, big meplat RD clone, 30-30, 170gr) to hunt the later part of the season with. Using irons I can't imagine I'd want to shoot more than maybe 120yds, and figure both'd do the job at that range, which would you say?

I use a gas checked 170RN in .30-30 and like it.
    I'd take which ever one is the most accurate at the highest speed, and that will lean heavily toward the GC one.
    What ever damage a 170 at 1450 will do to a deer, a 170 at 1850 will do better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I would say figure out which one you shoot the best and hold to that!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Either will do the job quite effectively.... Which is more accurate?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Mold
    Accuracy wise it's a bit hard to tell, there's only so good I can do with irons in the first place, they seem fairly equal. Now when it comes to consistant velocity the PB over w231 wins hands down, 30fps extreme spread, the lowest I've gotten the gc's over h380 down to is around 100fps.

Honestly I'd like to take the PB, seems more traditional i think, and the whole '30cal that sounds and recoils like a 22' thing is really cool, I quite enjoy shooting 'em. I do understand the GC is going to have more umph though, so I wonder if it's the more ethical choice; I worry a bit about my alloy at the lower velocity.

170gn @1450 will kill anything on this continent.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    More so because of trajectory I would use the faster load.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Either would do, but I prefer the GC boolit in my own 30/30.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Gas Check @ 1850 .
    When hunting ... +400 fps isn't going to hinder a boolit from doing it's job !
    A 170 gr. FP at 1850 fps in a 30-30 sounds like the perfect thing for Deer or Hogs
    Do It
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    In my experience so far, a powder
    coated plain base does just fine at
    1800 fps.

Boolit Mold
    Alright, I think I'm guna try for the plain base. I did some ballistics charts and @ my planned max of 120yds I've still got as much energy as a 357 revolver at the muzzle, so energy wise that should be fine, and with 100yd zero it keeps me +/- 2in in trajectory the whole way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why? What if you see a 12 pt at 150 yards? If you make a shot at a small doe at 100 yards, you can make the shot on a big buck at 150 yards.

ES is meaningless at the ranges you are hunting. More velocity gives a flatter trajectory and more energy.

Stop listening to people who recommend marginal loads. They are justifying what they do most of the time.

You can kill a deer with a .22 “if you go your part”. That does not make it a smart option.

What are you saving the GC load for? Moose and grizzly?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to agree with dverna in this situation.

Your GC load is fairly close to a factory loaded .30-30, which has worked well for deer 125 years.

The PB load on the other hand, reminds me of the .32-40 which went out of favor once the .30-30 was in widespread use. It will kill a deer, but what if the one that dwarfs the Jordan buck steps into the clear at 175 yards?

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If you used a softer alloy, id say it wouldn't matter. Your alloy is quite hard, and I don't think it would do a good job at 1450 fps. At 1850 fps, you should see at least some expansion.

Boolit Master

What is the difference in accuracy out to 200? Can you hit a paper plate with the pb every time?

I’m asking cause I have a similar gc mold and the gc shank is too large to get a gc on straight and I thought about cutting one of the cavities out to PB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Gas check.

I have zero doubts in your PB load's ability to do the job, in fact I would gleefully shoot deer with handgun rounds offering considerably less. If you really are shooting as close as you plan, it'll do.

HOWEVER -

Deer hunting is often a sport of sleep deprivation, caffeine abuse, and sudden spurts of excitement. In that context, I'd want the flatter trajectory to assist with any compromised spur-of-the-moment decision making on my part.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    I don't know, I'm in NW FL, 120yds is kinda me being generous, I'll be hunting like in the woods, litterally (blackwater wma in Santa rosa county) Do y'all really think the +/- 2in trajectory with PB isn't enough?

Boolit Grand Master
    MSM made a very good point. You are using a hard alloy at low velocity. There may be little or no expansion and the bullet may "pencil" through.

In thick woods the ranges are short, but it is also easy to lose a deer that is wounded. In snow there is both a decent blood trail and tracks to follow while in FL tracking will be more challenging.
    Don Verna

As you are talking hunting and purchasing? cast, I'd go with the GC. You can always download it. PB can be just as accurate but the gc pretty much guarantees a square base and that is what determines accuracy. I have proved this to myself experimentally. Save the PB for practice and hogs. I did a 'test' on a dead hog carcass( 1 min dead), shot soft (1% Sb - 185gr RD gc'd) in the gut and shoulder. Shoulder didn't penetrate (1 30 cal hole), gut expanded to .4" exit (30/30 from ~ 5 ft). I don't like tracking and 2 holes is better than one.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

I like gas checks and soft alloy, but accuracy (and shot placement) is SO MUCH more important!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast