RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal .30 Super Carry

Some of the new shooters will enjoy wasting their money on it, but I would also guess that some Government Agency is the the intended target consumer.

Boolit Master

.40 Swindle & Whitewash

.45 Gaston's Asinine Project

.30 Shouldn't Consider

While they're plugging this thing's ballistic superiority to the .32 and .380 ACPs, it is VERY unlikely that we'll see a round so hot dropped into something the size of a PPK, so that argument is invalid.

They're saying it's terminally ALMOST as good as the 9mm, and it's coming in the same sized guns.

And it holds a couple more rounds per magazine than the 9mm - which is already popular because it offers high capacity

Best I can factor, it generates a whole pound less recoil than the 9mm - which is already popular because it doesn't kick much.

The world would be a better place if we sent every person in charge of product marketing to explore the wreck of the Titanic, without a submarine.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

The only thing that I saw/wondered about this new cartridge was:

What kind of performance would I get if I reloaded this cartridge with those 85gr steel cored russian bullets used in the 7.62 tokarev???

Designed for the millennial crowd - its new ! its more! its expensive! its everything you ever wanted! its just like what you have in a new package!! be the first in your self centered little group to have one! it might even do everything the one you have does.....and all the new "gun testers" will test it & regurgitate the manufacturer spec sheets extoling how it will replace every other gun. And the high power & 1911 are how old?? yep another answer looking for a question .
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    .40 Swindle & Whitewash

.45 Gaston's Asinine Project

.30 Shouldn't Consider

While they're plugging this thing's ballistic superiority to the .32 and .380 ACPs, it is VERY unlikely that we'll see a round so hot dropped into something the size of a PPK, so that argument is invalid.

They're saying it's terminally ALMOST as good as the 9mm, and it's coming in the same sized guns.

And it holds a couple more rounds per magazine than the 9mm - which is already popular because it offers high capacity

Best I can factor, it generates a whole pound less recoil than the 9mm - which is already popular because it doesn't kick much.

The world would be a better place if we sent every person in charge of product marketing to explore the wreck of the Titanic, without a submarine.
    These threads on this cartridge crack me up. The very arguments that the 9mm lovers used to contend that their beloved cartridge was better than the 45 ACP (greater mag capacity, lower recoil, excellent terminal performance because of better bullets, et al.) are now being used to argue that the 30 SC is as good as the 9mm. Rich, indeed.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Most interesting, Gentlemen! Close to 100% negative vibes. As I indicated originally, I don't really see either a necessity for it or a lasting place in the lineup of cartridges. Hope some were able to find and read the article. It seems to be a 9mm Luger all over again with a smaller diameter bullet. And, I keep hearing that small voice in my ear whispering, "Bigger is better!"

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    These threads on this cartridge crack me up. The very arguments that the 9mm lovers used to contend that their beloved cartridge was better than the 45 ACP (greater mag capacity, lower recoil, excellent terminal performance because of better bullets, et al.) are now being used to argue that the 30 SC is as good as the 9mm. Rich, indeed.

35W
    This. This cracks me up like I can't believe.

I have no intention of buying anything that flings reloadable brass around like it's disposable, but really this is like 9mm all over again.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post

35W
    The history of firearms development is filled with quests to find the answers to questions:

1200 AD: Q: My enemies need more terror in their lives! How do I achieve this? A: CANNONS!

1600: Q: How do I not blow up my powder horn with this smoking slow match? A: Invent the flintlock.

1830: Q: How do I get rid of this annoying whiff!. . .bang! delay? A: Invent percussion caps.

1836: Q: How do I not get myself overwhelmed by superior numbers? A: Invent the revolver.

1850: Q: How do I not get shot while I stand up to load this thing? A: Invent an efficient breechloader.

1860: Q: That 1836 question hasn't been answered all that well. . . A: Invent the repeating rifle.

1860: Q: Ammo wet! Rifle no bang! Soldier not happy! Pencil-necks fix! Ugh! A: BRASS CARTRIDGES!

1882: Q: My lead bullets get cold in the winter! A: Put a jacket on them!

1884: Q: Still really not happy with the choices for dealing with that nagging 1836 problem. . . A: Hiram Maxim, For Those About to Rock, We Salute You!

1886: Q: I'm worried about my bullets getting lung cancer. . . A: SMOKELESS powder!

1890: Q: Do we have any other problems left? A: Messrs. Mauser and Browning would like a word. . .

2020: Q: All those geniuses didn't leave us any problems to solve! How do we get people to keep giving us money? A: Summon the ghost of P.T. Barnum to convince them that all the questions we spent the last 800 years answering haven't been answered.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master

Perfect for the soyboyz that can't take the recoil of a real handgun. Spray and pray is the new norm and aimed fire is a thing of the past. I carry 8 on my hip and 5 in my pocket.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Perfect for the soyboyz that can't take the recoil of a real handgun. Spray and pray is the new norm and aimed fire is a thing of the past. I carry 8 on my hip and 5 in my pocket.
    This could be a quote from 1985, except for the soy part...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    I love the idea of a 30 caliber handgun , as a critter getter , but I don't think this is it .

Boolit Master
    Running a 115 grain bullet at 1200 fps is going to produce the same recoil as a 115 grain 9mm as that is about the average velocity for 9mms in that grain weight... With 50k psi there is going to be a higher frequency muzzle blast...

Would be very interesting to see what they could get for velocity with the Hornady 85 grain XTP or the 85 grain bullet that Federal uses in their HS Low Recoil rounds in the .327 Federal...1400 fps maybe....

Bob

Suddenly I'm feeling like I need I to buy a tokarev and a case of Rushki 7.62x25 burp gun ammoes. I always did like that pistol.
    Deplorable infidel

I'm not really sure that chamber pressure is an indication of the level of muzzle blast. Two of the more ear-splitting cartridges I've ever fired out of handguns is the .22 WMR and the 32-20, both relatively low pressure cartridges. Elemer Keith, in SIXGUNS specifically mentions the loud report of the 32-20.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I like the idea. Not sure if it fills a void or not and I couldn't really care less. If it is a cartridge chambered in a handgun I like the looks of I'll probably try it out. I love playing with different types of cartridges and firearms and to me this is exciting. I have no need to compare it to anything else or to consider it either superior or inferior to anything else.

Remember gentlemen, anything that creates interest in shooting is, at least in my opinion, a good thing. We should be happy that there are manufacturers out there that are willing to try different things. Now, it would be nice if one of them would open up a new primer manufacturing plant as well...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Running a 115 grain bullet at 1200 fps is going to produce the same recoil as a 115 grain 9mm as that is about the average velocity for 9mms in that grain weight... With 50k psi there is going to be a higher frequency muzzle blast...

Would be very interesting to see what they could get for velocity with the Hornady 85 grain XTP or the 85 grain bullet that Federal uses in their HS Low Recoil rounds in the .327 Federal...1400 fps maybe....

Bob
    I've mentioned elsewhere, but I think the right path for this cartridge is the one not being taken - initially, at least.

The 115 grain .30 SC has about the same sectional density as a 147 grain 9mm, but thus far, they are only offering that weight as the FMJ target load. The penetration of the 9mm/147 moving around 1000 fps tends to be a little deeper and more consistent across the various barrier/gel tests than it's 115 and 124 grain counterparts, which is why it's got a pretty solid LE following. That it also happens to be subsonic doesn't hurt either.

A 115-120 grain hollowpoint out of the .30SC at about 1100 fps would probably make the round the 9mm equivalent they are pitching it as, albeit with a expanded diameter of around .45"-.50" instead of about .65"-.70". I suspect such a version of the round would stack up VERY well in the formal gel tests.

It would still have to compete against the 9mm's established logistical juggernaut while offering little more than a few extra rounds in guns that already hold a BLOB (Butt Load Of Bullets), but that would certainly make the argument more intriguing.

The main future I see for it is among the "bottomless magazine" race gun competitors.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Master
    No interest on my part, but maybe it will get someone like CZ to bring out a nice pistol in 7.65x21. I like 32s but 50k pressure is going to bark out of the small bore and the brass is odd, just like the 350 L of recent release. Not like reinventing the wheel.
    Could have been the marketing people decided they were tired of hearing the 327 revolvers can shoot all the 32 rounds….
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jrayborn View Post
    I like the idea. Not sure if it fills a void or not and I couldn't really care less. If it is a cartridge chambered in a handgun I like the looks of I'll probably try it out. I love playing with different types of cartridges and firearms and to me this is exciting. I have no need to compare it to anything else or to consider it either superior or inferior to anything else.

Remember gentlemen, anything that creates interest in shooting is, at least in my opinion, a good thing. We should be happy that there are manufacturers out there that are willing to try different things. Now, it would be nice if one of them would open up a new primer manufacturing plant as well...
    Most people either cannot afford a lot of toys or use more rigorous criteria to make purchase decisions. I think you are in the minority, and that will affect the future of this round. The .243 WSSM is one of many examples of "useless" rounds to push more sales that then died. (BTW I was overjoyed when I found a "sucker" to buy my .243 WSSM).

A few .32 aficionados will be attracted to it because of the caliber and getting 9mm performance is big boost over other semi-autos in that caliber. But if they already have 9mm's, it seems like a poor way to spend money unless someone has money to waste.

I have a small (Kahr) and large (Glock) 9mm I use for self defense. And a couple of 9mm carbines. This cartridge does not offer a significant advantage to warrant adding another caliber to deal with. The vast majority will come to the same conclusion.

Many folks are like me...jaded. We are tired of "new and improved" that is marketing BS.

But the sad part is companies are investing in R&D to sell more guns and ammunition based on BS instead of real improvements. Even good ideas get corrupted...like the .350 Legend that should have been based on .223 brass.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Even good ideas get corrupted...like the .350 Legend that should have been based on .223 brass.
    ... and should have used 358 instead of 355 bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    ... and should have used 358 instead of 355 bullets.
    As a caster I agree!!

But I can see using .355 so reloaders would not use .358 bullets meant for more powerful calibers. At least with pistol bullets, there will be expansion. They were likely worried about bullets pencil holing through and people reporting poor performance on game.

For the majority of people that shoot factory ammunition is a non-issue.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast