WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Scales

perhaps I finally got “the one” that works -- nope, I got that one. Been using it for 10+ yrs, change batteries when needed. Don't have another scale of any kind. Don't even trickle powder - I did get the plastic hornady thing that sits on the shelf.
    Whatever!

I have a Redding balance beam just to confirm any charge that doesn’t look or feel quite right. Basically, I use two digitals. One battery and one electric plug in. My standard procedure is to weigh it in the battery one, and confirm it on the digital plug in and throw the charge if the are at least within .1 (if not, the balance beam will let me know if I have a battery problem, or a scale error). I keep the measures away from vents, fans, and heating ducts. This method for me has really made the process quick and efficient without having to be “mesmerized” watching a balance beam go through its “moods” My .02

Boolit Master

I bought a Frankford Arsenal digital scale some years back and immediately realized it was not what I expected. It’s not sensitive to trickling or other small changes. It’s fine for sorting boolits.

The scale on my RCBS Chargemaster is dead on when the dispensed loads are weighed on either of two balance beam scales but it’s a bit more expensive than the FA.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

My PACT scale has been plugged in on my bench since 2003. I dread the day it dies as nothing I see today is it’s equivalent.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine digital scale plugs in. Wonder if that is why it works?

But it is over $300 so not in your budget.

I had a PACT and it plugged in too and was accurate and not expensive. It died about 8 years ago.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

The closest thing I can find to my old PACT is the Dillon. It uses either batteries or wall charger. It has a check weight and zeroing program, although I think my PACT with its 2 lighter weights and 3 step zero is superior. It handles trickled charges. I don’t like the large platform that doesn’t center the scale pan. $149 plus Dillon’s ruinous shipping. If I have to buy another, that’s probably where I’d go.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I just discovered my BPI scale was reading a lot too much.

Instructions say to use 50 grams to calibrate it so I check with 50 and it reads 50.02. I figure things are okay.

But it reads too much at lower weights, one gram shows 1,05 g, 3g reads 3,10, 5g reads 5,15 etc...

It also doesn't calibrate as per instructions.

Santa brought me an RCBS dispenser which is working great - and all my old beam scales agree with it.

Here is how BPI reads 3,0 grams. In trash it went.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    My PACT scale has been plugged in on my bench since 2003. I dread the day it dies as nothing I see today is it’s equivalent.
    I am with you, sadly, my pact died after I don't know how many years, a lot. always work and was accurate. there is nothing like it on the market now, sad that they quit making them. If I remember rightly, there was a green one sold my rcbs, looked the same as mine.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    I have a RCBS Micro Pro that is more than 15 years old. It stays plugged in almost constantly. I check it frequently with check weights. I calibrate it every time I use it. It is just now starting to be a little off. It reads 1 tenth lighter than a check weight when under 20 grains. Once I get over that figure its dead nuts. Cant ask for more from a electronic scale.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Hornady G3-1500. A good set of calibration weights will also keep things honest. I do this before every reloading session....I have a checklist I go through after learning the hard way that finding out something is wrong 15 minutes in is worse than knowing beforehand.

Boolit Master

My RCBS 505 I believe **** the bed during a cross country move some 25 years ago. It was replaced with an RCBS Chargemaster and a set of check weights. Not having the accuracy I desired, I bought another E scale accurate to 2/100 gr.

E scales are fast but can have shielding problems around fluorescent lights and need a warm up period to prevent drift. Like computer power supplies, add a ferris oxide line scrubber/filter to your scale power supply cord and try and get rid of the fluorescent lights above your bench.

Last week I was pursuing the local loan shark and scored an old RCBS 10-10 for 60 clams and jumped on it. Been wanting to get an older beam scale for years after loosing confidence in 502 and 505 scale.

At the least, I believe a fellow should have some sort of check weights whether homemade or store bought in the 1, 3, 5, 10 grain weights cause setting up a new load with a fast powder leaves little room for error. Thank the Lord when my second scale went out I was trying to load 18-21 grains of Clay's and when the pile of powder looked like too much based on my experience I stopped. If that had been an unfamiliar powder, I don't know if I would have caught it.

Boolit Master
    I found that the inexpensive digital scales to be more accurate than weighing powder on the bathroom scale but I tried two of them both less than $30 and both seemed to be off by about 0.2 grains, just like others here are reporting. I'll stick with the old Lyman m2 and RCBS 505 for working up loads.

Boolit Master
    Had an electronic wonder toy. Couldn't get it to hold zero,a trip back to the factory,and it worked right for about 30 seconds. Garbage can.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    I used to repair/calibrate electronic scales for the space program; I do not and never will have a digital scale for powder weighing.

Any (affordable) digital scale claiming accuracy to 2/100 (20 thousants) of a grain will lie to you about other things as well.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-30-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Digital scales have had too much bad press with `wandering zero's`.

My Redding No.2 beam scale, verified with RCBS check weights, is my method of choice.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Mold
    I tried several of the $50-100 electronic scales available, and all were completely unreliable. I bought a $20 Homgeek off Amazon, and it has been dead on the weights my 5-0-5 shows. I don't do precision reloading, so it's definitely accurate enough for my needs.

Boolit Master
    I got a new one, a cheapo this time. Can buy four of these for the price of one BPI "Elite". BPI lasted four years though.

For now this is dead on with every calibration weight from one to one hundred grams. And calibration with the included weight actually works.

Ive gone through so many cheap scales and learned not to mess around with them anymore. They are ok to measure coffee and such but not for reloading. My gempro 250 was a great little scale but just gave out yesterday after many years of great service. It seemed to be the exception to the rule regarding cheap scales although it wasn't exactly cheap at 160 bucks. I replaced it with a ohaus spx123...it better be worth it, at almost 3 times the price but it hear that it is. I agree though regarding mechanical scales...i trust them more, hopefully this electronic one will change my mind.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12