Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Davide Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Old West "Maple" 30"

Boolit Master

Davide Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Old West "Maple" 30"

Any one shooting a Davide Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Old West "Maple" 30". I have a C Sharps in .38-55, had a Shiloh Sharps® in .45-70 and had to sell it. I want another .45-70 sharps and am looking at the Pedersoli in maple. I know it isn't a Shiloh so want some input from owners as to what they like or don't like. Do know the Pedersoli guns will shoot with the MT made guns. How is the butt plate on the shoulder? Dose the wedge have any effect on shooting small groups at 500 yards? Would I be better off looking at a different model?

Boolit Master
    I’ve owned three different Pedersoli Sharps rifles, but not that model. All I can say is that each one I owned shot fantastic. They are fully capable of 1moa groups and the finish on each one was superb. International economics is pricing them higher every year. Now days you have to look at the gap in cost closing between them and the domestic production guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont have that model but do have the Pedersoli Long range model that was labeled for Cabellas. double set triggers 34" half round 1-18 twist barrel. I have added a soule style sight and wind adj front globe. Hit and finish are good wood is decent accuracy is superb. WHen I bought mine they were on sale for $999.00.

I dont think the wedge will affect accuracy if fitted correctly, my concern would be it changing with wood compression over time. The only other issue with the wedge might be if it hits on stiks or rests.

I have a new "Walnut" version. I haven't fired it yet so I can't comment on the barrel wedge. Besides, I am so inexperienced with these types of rifles that any comment I make isn't worth it's weight in feathers. What I can tell you is that you will need a recoil pad or a sleeve that offers some protection. The shape of the butt is extreme and not very comfortable against the shoulder. My plan is to get someone to make me a nice recoil sleeve and cheek riser out of leather. And as far as quality goes, again I'm not experienced enough to form a valid opinion, but it appears quite good. It's a beautiful rifle and I specifically chose this model because of how it presents itself.

Good luck with your decision and if you need any pictures let me know.

I've only seen pictures, but thought they were gorgeous looking if the rest the guns look like the one on their website. I think the wedge forearm attachment looks very classy, and no reason it should hurt accuracy. But I know from experience with deep crescent buttplates on my old singles that the buttplate will indeed hurt.
    If you have a lace on cover made for it I'd consider a custom one that fills the crescent in the middle, but not at the top and bottom, so it wont add too much length to the stock and create fit issues. Unless you've got extremely long arms an actually need more length?

Boolit Master
    As long as the forearm is tight with the wedges, you should have no accuracy issues. If it loosens up as the wood dries over the years, a small amount of bedding in the righ places will take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Any one shooting a Davide Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Old West "Maple" 30". I have a C Sharps in .38-55, had a Shiloh Sharps® in .45-70 and had to sell it. I want another .45-70 sharps and am looking at the Pedersoli in maple. I know it isn't a Shiloh so want some input from owners as to what they like or don't like. Do know the Pedersoli guns will shoot with the MT made guns. How is the butt plate on the shoulder? Dose the wedge have any effect on shooting small groups at 500 yards? Would I be better off looking at a different model?
    I have the long range rifle and i would strongly recommend getting one with a flat buttplate too.

The rifle is fantastic, beautiful wood, fit and finish is great, its incredibly accurate and my favorite firearm purchase for a long time. I added long range Soule Baldwin sights on the tang and baldwin spirit front sight. Great smooth action and crisp light trigger.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

So today was the first time I had an hour or so to spend familiarizing myself with the Old West. The butt, althought very aggressive in shape, can actually be comfortable in a certain position. You just need to find that position on your shoulder! I found that shifting the butt away from where I normally shoulder a rifle or shotgun helped tremendously. I don't see the need to cover that beautiful color case hardened plate with anything now. That being said, after 20 or 50 rounds I might have a different take on that!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I happen to have a Pedersoli Old West Maple. I happen to really enjoy the shape of the stock. Mine is fitted with a scope and the line of sight as to the cheek weld is perfect. Only thing is that crescent shape vs one with a shotgun style butt plate is, when shooting from prone, if not in the right spot will make you say some really bad things. But sitting from bench or shooting sticks or laying prone with in the right spot is fine. They are very nice guns. I have never regretted buying mine. I also bought the crosno .22 liner for it also. With the scope it is really a blast. Ringing steel out to 300 is no problem.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have 3 Pedersoli 1874’s in various configurations…….also a C. Sharps and 2 Shilohs. I shoot the C. Sharps the most but the Pedersolis can keep up with the 2 MT made ones as far as accuracy goes. They aren’t as fancy as the MT made examples but they’re close!

Quote Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
    Yes, I happen to have a Pedersoli Old West Maple. I happen to really enjoy the shape of the stock. Mine is fitted with a scope and the line of sight as to the cheek weld is perfect. Only thing is that crescent shape vs one with a shotgun style butt plate is, when shooting from prone, if not in the right spot will make you say some really bad things. But sitting from bench or shooting sticks or laying prone with in the right spot is fine. They are very nice guns. I have never regretted buying mine. I also bought the crosno .22 liner for it also. With the scope it is really a blast. Ringing steel out to 300 is no problem.

Beauty! I can't quite tell from your picture but it appears that you had some engraving work done on the brass plate. I tried to remove mine so that I could take it to an engraver but I was not successful. It's on the butt quite well and just removing the two screws wasn't enough for my plate to fall clear. Do you know if it's glued to the stock? I would assume not....but you never know!

Boolit Buddy
    Hello, sorry I didn't see the question until now. My plate was not glued to the stock. I removed the two screws and it the screw hole being very gentle took a sharp but sturdy dental pick and went in the screw hole and lifted it right out. I just have my initials on it.