Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Heavy Boolits in 358 Winchester

Heavy Boolits in 358 Winchester

I'm working on a 358 Winchester project, and I was curious if anyone had success with cast bullets between 250-320 grains. I can't find much data on them, but I think it'd be fun to play around with. Stabilization calculators show that above 250gr, bullets tend to get over stabilized by the common twist rates, 1-12, 1-14, 1-16. But in the face of that, I'm curious as to peoples experiences.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

I attempted to use the NOE clone of Lyman 358009 (280gr) in a Mauser custom bolt rifle(358win).
    I don't recall the load I tried? I could look it up, I assume I got the starting load in the Lyman manual. I couldn't get the COAL I needed for the throat, to fit in the Magazine. So, to shoot the few I shot, I had to cycle the action "single shot style" and that got old real quick, so I just stuck with the Ranch Dog 190gr.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have shot a fair number of those NOE #358009 in my rifle. Built on a long Remington so no problem with overall length. 1:14 barrel, they shot great over 3031 and 7383. That length thing is going to be an issue for most rifles though, either you'll half fill the case with bullet or have to use it as a single shot. If you seat it to 2.8" to fit in most short action magazines there's not a lot of room left for gunpowder.

I would not bet on the 1-16" over stabilizing a 250 gr and for sure not a 320 gr. A 250 gr cast boolit from a 358 or 35 whelen will penetrate into the next zip code anyway. I have a 1-14" barrel on my 358 Norma Mag and it handles 250 gr Noslers as well as cast 220gr equally well. Actually the 220 gr cast groups better than the Noslers at 1900-2000 fps. Based on my experience, I'd vote for a 1-14" twist.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I'm looking at the NOE 360-313-FN specifically. It looks like in a 2.1 inch case, seated properly it should come out to 2.8 inches, which works fine with my AR-10 in 308. (This is just gonna be another upper). I figured 1-12 would be better for stability with a heavier bullet, but after looking at calculators I'm not entirely sure.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had experience with 1-12 and 1-14. Accuracy is excellent. Either will handle heavy cast in a .358 Win to factory velocity and beyond, considering how little factory info there is on the heavy projectiles.
    You may need to lengthen your throat to take advantage of the heavy bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shoot a 35-250 if a 1-14 358 Win . I can't speak to over spun but 2100 fps is right in the jacketed speeds . I didn't have satisfying results with jacketed powder selections , a full case of IMR 4350 backed off 10% from full to the neck base . I don't remember the charge now it's been 3-4 years since I loaded them last .

The 4350 loads went into an inch several times except for those that tossed a gas check .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Make sure you use crimp on gas checks, a la Hornady because there is a theory, probably justified, that when the long boolit, set below the neck will strip the check off. I have personally not experienced this but a lot of my cast shooter friends report of finding the gas checks out in front of the gun a few yards and accuracy was not too great. I don't know what action you are using for your 358 but a 300+ gr boolit base will probably be below the neck. As far as powder, my best luck was with SR 4759 but it has been discontinued-again- so Accurate 5744 or Shooters World Buffalo Rifle is a good place to start.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Murf
    The length might be an issue in the AR , not so much in a 98' .

I spent my first 10 years avoiding gas checks at all costs to such lengths that I learned paper patch . It was only after I loaded for a gas gun that I gave in .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I'm in the same camp as avoiding gas checks because of the added time it takes my fumble fingers to get them in place. HOWEVER....I have to admit that almost all of my accurate cast boolit experiences have been with gas checks.

I dunno... I have owned exactly two rifles in .358 Winchester. The first was a Savage 99 thatI couldn't get to be accurate. Don't have it any more. New one is a short action Remingtin 660 that was rebored by JES. I have settled on the 200 grain cast boolits out of Lee moulds. Gas checked. I cannot imagine trying to load heavier boolits than these because of the problems as mentioned above. Seems to me if you want 250 grain boolits make it a .375 bore. My opinion only.

Jim