Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: hurky aka rice sausage

Boolit Master

hurky aka rice sausage

Happened to find in a store some Hurky sausage, also know as rice sausage. I do know how to cook it, but if there are some variations out there, I'm open to trying them.

Since a local family run shop closed up, Norm finally retired, I haven't seen this sausage anywhere else, and I really like it. So much so that I would eat a whole ring of it! Not good for the waist line.
    There's also what referred to as blood sausage, although I haven't had that in several years.

Brian
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master

If rice sausage is anything like Louisiana Cajun Boudin Sausage ... cooked rice , traditionally pork meat , onions , bellpepper , and spices ... Then we buy it hot , kept in simmering hot water , the market wraps it in paper and we eat it in the parking lot off the front fender or hood of the truck .
    If cold and raining ...sit inside the truck . Lately there has come to be Crawfish Boudin , Seafood Boudin and Alligator Boudin ... it's all good . A cold beer isn't mandated but along with a sleeve of Saltine Crackers , makes for a first class Cajun meal .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Moved to La from Ala. when I got out of Vet School. I learned about Boudin, I love it, my wife .. not so much. In those days, just 2 types were available, both pork as far as I know, Boudin blanc (white) and Boudin rouge (red).Would love to try the rice sausage (Hurky) too.

You could make some hurka balls, like boudin balls. Take out of the casing, form into 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls.
    Put in egg wash and coat with seasoned flour, bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, then fry or deep fry.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Moved to La from Ala. when I got out of Vet School. I learned about Boudin, I love it, my wife .. not so much. In those days, just 2 types were available, both pork as far as I know, Boudin blanc (white) and Boudin rouge (red).Would love to try the rice sausage (Hurky) too.
    Do you know what makes Boudin Rouge that color ... Pork Blood ... it's also been called Blood Sausage by some . Getting hard to find , the La. Dept. of Health has some strict regulations on the handling of fresh blood ...it spoils rather quickly if not handled properly .
    There was a market , that was also a slaughter house , that made it ... Bourgeois Meat Market , I went there but they had sold out ! Darn !!! It is best to place an order for the Blood Boudin so they can make it and have it ready for you ... regular White Boudin (Blanc) is available all the time ...hot readyto eat , refrigerated or frozen ! The Blood Boudin is $5.99 / lb. and you have to call and place an order . Check out their site www.bourgeousmeatmarket.com
    I asked my dad about how the blood boudin tasted and he said he didn't like it ... so I never tried to place an order ... the place is in Thibodaux La ...another city West of Baton Rouge.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

For those who are as curious as am about what it is...

https://www.therecipes.info/hungaria...sausage-recipe

Since lungs are part of it it must soak up gravy like a sponge.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I preferred the white. Liked both. The red was a bit "livery" to me, and yes, I was aware that blood was what made it "rouge". I lived in Lake Charles in the very early '80's and there were private markets that would wrap it in paper hot for you and you could sit in the car and eat it in the parking lot. YUM!