WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 30-30

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 30-30

So I have a 336 in 30-30 that I bought new in 1979 and maybe have a box of ammo run through her. I have a couple of questions: One; will the stock on the 1894 Marlin fit on the 336; and two; who would you have convert the rifle to a 38-55 WCF?

Boolit Master

JES will do a great job on recording:

Don’t know about the stock question…

http://35caliber.com/

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I would stick with the 30-30. It is an excellent cast bullet cartridge, with many bullets, other components, brass and much data available. I don't believe the 38-55 provides any significant gains for most shooting or hunting. It is sort of a novelty compared to the 30-30 with a more limited range due to lower velocities and arching trajectory. The bullets require more lead, heavier bullets do increase recoil. I would only consider the 38-55 if a 30-30 barrel was badly pitted or damaged. For close range hunting, under 75 yards, the 38-55 MAY be better than the 30-30 WITH CAST BULLETS but the 30-30 is very well proven with cast bullets on deer sized game. The Marlin 1894 is usually a straight grip with the most of Marlin 336's having a pistol grip so an 1894 stock would PROBABLY not fit your 336, unless it is a straight grip, then maybe.

+1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Article I just finished reading declared the 38-55 is probably the very best cartridge for cast bullets. Talked with JES this evening and the rifle will be on its way to him for renovation this week.

Boolit Master

What is the function of swapping to an 1894 stock? Is it to make it straight instead of pistol grip?

I could be wrong but I believe the 1895 lower tang and lever will swap out so you can use an 1895 guide straight stock if that’s the end goal.

Boolit Grand Master
    sparky 45 ~ It's your gun, you do what you want. I think you made a good choice. The "medium - medium" is super to hunt with. Other think otherwise, as they may, but I think as a hunter, you are hard pressed to beat the .38-55. Great payload, easy recoil, legal in straight wall zones, and from my experiences, just a very fine hunter. Accurate, too. Dig up a few articles by Chuck Hawks about the .38-55. As I remember the titles they are "Gentile Medium Bore" & "Medium Medium Bore" - or something like that. Good luck.

I predict happiness. Are you going with the 3 groove or 5 groove rifling? Jes did a .358 Win and a 38-55 for me; both 3 groove and both are good shooters.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

JES said I'd get excellent (my word) accuracy with the 3 grove; it's in his hands. As far as the straight stock, that's for another day.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm excited about leverguns again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I envy you. I came close to doing what you are doing with a Winchester 94 but could not justify the cost for a toy. The .38/55 would have just been a plinker for me.

IMO it is a better round than the .35 Rem because cases are easy to get or make.

Here is the article 725 mentioned:
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/38-55_gentle_medium.html
    Don Verna

You will be more than happy with your JES rebore.

Boolit Mold
    I had JES rebore a 336 for me a few years ago and I am very pleased with the results. Mine really like the Sierra 200gr. jacketed flat point and IMR 4198. This load is very accurate and will totally ruin a whitetail’s day.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't change out the 336 stock or lever. STRAIGHT STOCKS SUCK! Doubly so when you have a cartridge capable of generating anything resembling real recoil.

I'da left it .30-30, but you should have fun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Starline had the brass a few weeks ago, order it now or you may have to wait a few years for more.

Boolit Master
    i agree with mostleverguns the barrel is like new leave it alone shot out is a different story

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Article I just finished reading declared the 38-55 is probably the very best cartridge for cast bullets. Talked with JES this evening and the rifle will be on its way to him for renovation this week.
    I have 30-30 , .32 Spl , and 38-55 , love them all and would be hard pressed to pick one if I absolutely had to . Get J.E.S. to do the 38-55 , you will be happy with it . 30-30's are easy to come by at a reasonable price, try finding a cheap 38-55. I got a 94 I'm gonna send him this spring to convert , my current 38-55 is an 1885 . I assume yours is a Micro Groove barrel and would benefit from better rifling for shooting cast bullets anyway. My two Marlins are both Pope rifling and both shoot jacketed and cast equally well. My pap had a MG marlin back in the 70's and it never shot cast worth a damn.

Got to agree with some of the others on the straight stock . Most I have seen have the crescent butt plate and as much as I love the look and feel of a straight stock , I hate the deep curved butt plates . Pretty is as pretty does is what my momma used to say , stick to a flat shotgun type butt or something lightly curved like the Winchester carbine butt and your shoulder will thank you.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-22-2022 at 12:34 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    375 win and 356 win I think are both interesting calibers that the marlin 336 can be converted to.

Boolit Master

I understand everything posted about lever rifles. I went thru a period of accumulating lever rifles even though I don't hunt. I like shooting them and just looking at them. My small collection only includes one Marlin, a .30-30 and one Win 94, 1953 date. The others are reproductions(Miroku) or pistol cartridge(.357 and .44 Mag). The attraction of this thread is that my other Winchester is a Big Bore .375. I don't shoot the .375 much but enjoy it when I do. All are shot with cast. The .375 is loaded down somewhat since I find that lever action stocks don't do me any favors when it comes to recoil.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    375 win and 356 win I think are both interesting calibers that the marlin 336 can be converted to.
    I am lucky enough to have both. The 356 is an original that I added a laminated stock; the 375 is a JES conversion. They are both on my spring and summer play list.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    Had an origional 356, but preferred a longer mag tube. Sold it and had JES turn my 24" barreled 336 into a 356 Win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast