Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use Skinner Sights?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Anyone here use Skinner Sights?

Hey guys. I'm pondering a Skinner front and rear sight for my 336 Texan. Anybody here use them? My carbine has a ramp mounted front sight. Any idea what front sight height I would need with one of Skinner's receiver sights?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm pondering a Skinner front and rear sight for my 336 Texan. Anybody here use them? My carbine has a ramp mounted front sight. Any idea what front sight height I would need with one of Skinner's receiver sights?
    Have a set on my 30-30. Had them on the 35, and decided to move them over. Love the rear peep. Not sure on the front sight height. But they can steer you in the right direction for rifle and bullet you shoot.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have a rear Skinner on a Henry .22 lever. Really improved my accuracy with these old eyes. Didn't want to scope the rifle, just didn't look right.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I have two of em and had to change the front on the 357 but have not tried the little 1897 Texan but it appears to be on the same plane as the bbl sight.

I hav them on my Marlin 1894C 0.357. They're really nice. I recommend them, expecially for the price.

Boolit Master
    Link to Skinner sights.

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

Boolit Master

I recently put one on my Marlin 444. I have taken it to the range on a couple of occasions and I like it. It looks nice on the rifle and it is a quality made product. The problem I have with it that I think needs to be addressed is in the windage adjustment. There really is none. The peep sits in a dovetail that is secured by an allen screw. It can be moved to the left or right but when you do it is no longer "lined up" in the dovetail slot and it no longer looks right. I wish the Skinner bottom mount was a little wider and then the peep could be moved right or left and still be fully in the sight base. Just my opinion. If someone has another idea I'd like to hear it. I know one can drift the front sight over to compensate, but then it is out if its dovetail also.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That sounds like you have a crooked barrel, or one that wasn't mounted to the receiver properly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Humm...
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

I have 2 of his ladder type sights on a 1895 Marlin LTDIII and a 1895 CB, they give you 2 zero's with the same sight.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I have Skinners on all my lever guns. I order them with the high front sight and file down to the height I need. That's easier for me than guessing and guessing wrong.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    I have Skinners on all my lever guns. I order them with the high front sight and file down to the height I need. That's easier for me than guessing and guessing wrong.

Key
    Ditto Keyston44. And they are good people to deal with.

Bob
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    I have the Skinner 'Lo-Pro' on my Marlin 336T and am in the process of getting another installed on my 444T. I like them quite a bit.

The neat thing about the Lo-Pro is that if you work at it, you can get it installed below a low-mounted scope, resulting in one of the best backup sights imaginable.

I know that it looks like the sight is touching the scope tube in a couple of the above pics, but there is 0.005" of clearance between the two and I am confident that there are no issues.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Looking' good!! I'm also a fan of the compact, straight tube scopes on lever actions.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like they dont make them for Winchester 94's Gettin hard to see the sights..LOL

Boolit Mold
    Anyone know if the fit Browing M92s? I've e-mailed Skinner but no reply yet.

Phil

Boolit Man
    I've got a Skinner "XA" on my 1895, no modifications to the front sight.
    Max

Whenever asked I used to tell folks that casting boolits wasn't rocket science... I have since been proven wrong.

I have the Express sight on my Marlin 1895 STBL and was able to keep the factory front sight. I also bought the blank and filed it to match the barrel contour.

Last edited by Clinebo; 10-19-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Bub
    If you want to mount a scope this is a good option....Barrel Mount

http://skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

I haven't actually bought a Skinner sight, but I can tell just buy looking at them that they are well made and rugged sights.

They have alot in common with XS Sights which I am very fond of.

The combo of a Skinner rear and an XS white line front would be a very usable set of sights for a levergun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast