MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 336 30-30

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Starline had the brass a few weeks ago, order it now or you may have to wait a few years for more.

on their website today: "out of stock, no backorders at this time"

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah the 38-55 has some cool factor. But for the money. I'd just find & buy one in 35Rem. Old school thumper. Very easy to load for from Wild [sortof] to mild. Really good selection of bullets available. I really enjoy using my old 336 M series 1955 vintage rifle in that caliber.

Boolit Master

Just finished a barrel swap in a 336 from a round barrel 30-30 to an octagon 38-55/375. A new barrel is quite a bit more than a re-bore.

You probably can buy a 336 in 30 30 and send it to JES to make it a 38 55 for the same or less than a 336 in 35 Remington. I know because I have been looking for a 35 to use for my McGowen 250ai barrel swap.

Boolit Master

Hold on!! Another option I'm thinking about. I have a Uberti High Wall oddly enough in 30-30 that I could have converted to 38-55 instead of the Marlin 336. Not sure JES would do the job or not, but I'm going to find out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Hold on!! Another option I'm thinking about. I have a Uberti High Wall oddly enough in 30-30 that I could have converted to 38-55 instead of the Marlin 336. Not sure JES would do the job or not, but I'm going to find out.
    Now yer talkin'! A fast twist barrel combined with a longer throat, no action length requirements for feeding , and the bomb-proof nature of the High Wall open you up to the heavy target bullet possibilities of the .38-55.

In a lever action repeater, the .38-55 has some cool factor, but it really is just another 200 yard brush gun.

All that said, your single shot .30-30 has the potential to take 200+ grain target bullets like the 311299 or 311284. This would effectively give you a .32-40 target rifle on a mild dose of steroids. To me, that is an EXTREMELY intriguing idea that would bear exploring before you decide that the rifle is broke and needs fixing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    You need to read more articles. Declaring a single cartridge the BEST for anything is just a way to display a lack of knowledge. There aren't too many 38-55's used in Cast Bullet Association matches, 30BR, 32 Miller and 308 seem to appear in the most Matches, the 32-40 and 33-40 were favorites of Pope, for hunting with cast the 358 Win, 444 and 45-70 offer more, maybe Cowboy Silhouette? The 38-55 is OK but I would look for a Marlin that needed work before changing a good 30-30. A pristine Marlin 336 in 30-30 has gotten expensive, maybe you should find a well used Marlin and make a trade before make the change. I have a Savage 99 in .375 Win but don't find a use for it. I find the my Marlin 336's in 32 Special shoots about as good as any rifle I have when using cast boolits with other rifles filling my real hunting requirements. Usually rebores are a way to give new life to a tired rifle. Sorry to here the loss of a good 30-30.

Banned
    in my younger days, i shot a boat full of deer with my (1972) winchester m94 in 30-30. then i started handloading at 19yo and i put it in my safe for about 25+/- years. three years ago, i sent the m94 to JES to rebore it to 35/30-30. when the m94 came back, a williams fp aperture sight was put on. i luv it!!!!! altho the deer don't!!!!

sighting it in

My JES rebore will not chamber the long Starline brass, but it will chamber the thicker 375 brass with a .382 Lee boolit in it, and shoots beautifully.
    I have seen the price of Marlins skyrocket lately, I wonder what will happen if Ruger does make new ones and what if they are of high quality. Prices may come back down. In my opinion, there's nothing super special about a '79 either.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    You need to read more articles. Declaring a single cartridge the BEST for anything is just a way to display a lack of knowledge. There aren't too many 38-55's used in Cast Bullet Association matches, 30BR, 32 Miller and 308 seem to appear in the most Matches, the 32-40 and 33-40 were favorites of Pope, for hunting with cast the 358 Win, 444 and 45-70 offer more, maybe Cowboy Silhouette? The 38-55 is OK but I would look for a Marlin that needed work before changing a good 30-30. A pristine Marlin 336 in 30-30 has gotten expensive, maybe you should find a well used Marlin and make a trade before make the change. I have a Savage 99 in .375 Win but don't find a use for it. I find the my Marlin 336's in 32 Special shoots about as good as any rifle I have when using cast boolits with other rifles filling my real hunting requirements. Usually rebores are a way to give new life to a tired rifle. Sorry to here the loss of a good 30-30.
    You apparently didn't read my above post or your reading comprehension is slipping. I'm going to have Jesse re-bore my Uberti 1885 Highwall. BTW, it's also a 30-30.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    My JES rebore will not chamber the long Starline brass, but it will chamber the thicker 375 brass with a .382 Lee boolit in it, and shoots beautifully.
    I have seen the price of Marlins skyrocket lately, I wonder what will happen if Ruger does make new ones and what if they are of high quality. Prices may come back down. In my opinion, there's nothing super special about a '79 either.
    Don't think I've ever fired a '79.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Don't think I've ever fired a '79.
    He was speaking of the Marlin you bought new in 1979 .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Yep; knew that Eddie.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dekeshooter View Post
    I had JES rebore a 336 for me a few years ago and I am very pleased with the results. Mine really like the Sierra 200gr. jacketed flat point and IMR 4198. This load is very accurate and will totally ruin a whitetail’s day.
    I had to learn that the hard way. I had a very accurate 90s 336SC that had the pistol group and cross bolt safety. I got it to shoot very well with cast bullets. However, I got a chance to pick up a 336 with a straight stock made in 76'. I had to sell the pistol group to finance the deal. However the straight stock is not as accurate and it kicks harder.

Boolit Master

I sincerely hope the Ruglins(?) turn out to be the high quality guns everyone is hoping for. I won't be buying one since I've already got more than enough lever actions. Marlin had a long standing good reputation until a failing Remington got hold of them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

You won't be sorry! He did mine in the 5 groove like the original, but 3 groove is hard to beat!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master

I got a win mod 94 30/30 rebored by JES to 38/55 a few years ago. I got 3 groove it shoot's better than I do. I shoot the Lee 250 boolit at about 1300-1400 fps, (black powder velocity) I love it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So how is that conversion done? New barrel or existing one rebored?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    So how is that conversion done? New barrel or existing one rebored?
    Rebored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12