Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Reckon this will be easier casting for

Reckon this will be easier casting for

Well finally found on of my dream guns. A H&R ultra varmit in .223. Reckon I'll put the Cast 5.56 out the AR on the shelf for a little bit . Eveyone keeps telling me how much easier is to make single shots shoot cast well so guess we'll see. Hopefully it's not too easy, honestly trying to make work as well as they did out my AR was half the fun ,if they just work might end up loosing interest lol

Question though other then reworking my COAL/CBTO about how much you reckon I should drop my AR charge down to start up with this ? I mean the gas system eats a good bit of the energy to get 2180fps so I'm guessing with a single shot with no gas system it's gonna alot faster with the same load. Mabye cut the original charge by 25% ? And work up from there ?
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 01-19-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Banned
    Sounds like a good plan!

Boolit Master
    I’m not sure what you’re after specifically in terms of bullet performance, but I wouldn’t feel any need to drop more than 10% from max book load from a safety perspective.

If you are loading for accuracy start low and listen to the rifle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th ed uses the Universal receiver to work up their data. Any reason to NOT use their suggested starting load and work up to accuracy load from there?

Boolit Master
    I think that you will be hard pressed to find any meaningful velocity difference between the gas ported AR and the single shot (I think that is what you mean by energy). There was an article in the NRA publication a while ago about just that question.
    And yes, I do believe that single shots are easier to get cast shooting well out of.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Just start with the starting loads or , better yet , mid-range loads in your favorite loading manual ... Lyman Cast Bullet 4th edition uses a single shot bolt action universal receiver for load development in this one , so look at those loads ... starting too low just ends up wasting time and primers ... my most accurate loads fall in-between the mid-range to maximum loads ...usually just below max.
    Make sure your 25% reduction doesn't put you too low ... the nice thing about single shots is you don't have to be concerned about the cycling and just about any boolit can be made to work . Lots of leeway with loads !
    Good Luck ... Single Shots are Fun !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not know what powder you are using but many should not be reduced by 25%.

Good advice on looking at load data.

What are your goals? Plinking to 50-100 yards, varmints to 200 yards?

If I was going down the cast road in .223 I would start with Promo (Red Dot) as I have a pile of it and is economical. with a 54 gr bullet, 5.4 gr gets about 1650 fps and 8.5 gr about 2100 fps. Next pick would be Unique...6.7 gr for 1800 and 9.0 for 2100. But I would not use cast for varmint shooting as I have cheap jacketed bullets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

New gun? New load work up. I'd start with book min loads and work up if necessary (sometimes a low/min load is very accurate.). FWIW; for me "chasing the lands", fiddling with OAL is the last step n looking for "The Load"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A 25% cut is huge. Use the starting charge. It's possible you can drop down from the starting charge with the right powders. Just doing a 25% reduction is a recipe for problems if using the wrong powder.

I'd shoot a few of what you do in the AR.
    They might do very well in the new one too.

Just a wild guess,
    but any difference in barrel length may have more influence in velocity than the AR having a gas vent.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Wolf dog, that's a nice piece. All the best in your endevor.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Wolfdog, a lot of it will depend on the twist rate in that H&R. If it's a 12 or 14 inch twist, have at it! If it's a 9 or 8 inch twist, be careful how fast you push those starting loads.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th ed uses the Universal receiver to work up their data. Any reason to NOT use their suggested starting load and work up to accuracy load from there?
    I don't have any of the powers listed ,have only been able to find one on occasion,and I never really use book COAL anymore always find jam and back off from it found it gives me far less head aches
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

For current load out the are for those wondering is
    PC'edLee 55gr GC sized to .225 gas checked weight sorted and loaded in batches by .1 gr
    Alloy : Clip on WW double water dropped around 19-20 bhn
    Brass : Lake city once fired sorted in batches any head stamped annealed
    Brass cleaning method : wet tumbling then drying in food dehydrator
    Case trim :1.751"
    Shoulder bump : .003"-.005" max .004 target
    1.456" ideally for that rifle after initial fire forming
    CBTO of : 1.985 for . 10thou jump to the lands
    Primer :CCi Sr No.400
    Powder : accurate 2015
    17.2 gr = 1855 fps SD 21.74
    17.0 gr= 2055fps SD 21.63
    17.5gr= 2104fps SD 33.9
    18.0 =2104 fps. SD 16.65
    18.2. = 2150fps SD 31.60

18.1 grains is currently the best thing I got running

Then I also meds around with Win 748 but those never grouped too well. But yeah once I can fire form some brass and get some measurements I'll goa head a tweak my CBTO ( I load for each one of my rifles specific one ) and should bumping to this gun. My AR is only a 16" barrel 1/7 twist but think thins one is 22 ? And I know for a fact these have much slower twist rates but I gotta get a dowel rod and some tape and check . What else? O yeah since I don't have a gas system I really don't have to do half the work I was doing with the AR to get it to function so I'll probably drop my velocity some more. As for what I'm trying to do .... I'm not 100% on the that yet honestly probably just seeing what I can do @100yd with it then shooting crows or something probably lol.
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021