MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slower Twist AR 15 Barrel ?

Boolit Master

Slower Twist AR 15 Barrel ?

I am finishing building a 223 Varmint rifle on a Savage 110 action and a Douglas Barrel
    As I had the rifle , but since 1981 I shot it enough to really make the groups grow
    So now I just need to finish the new custom Osage Orange stock and I can work up a load

BUT I also would like to hunt ground hogs with my AR 15 , coyotes will also be hunted with the rifle
    I am right now using 50 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets in the old Savage barrel and hope to keep using them as I bought a bunch of them 2 years back
    I also hope to use them in the AR 15 Varmint rifle
    As I plan on using a 50 or 55 gr bullet
    I want a barrel with a twist rate for that weight bullet
    I tried Berger Match bullets in my 1 - 7" twist barrel and that didn't work LOL

I have a 1 -10 twist 223 AR 15 barrel , but it is not a heavy barrel and it has been shot a lot ( still shoots decent though )
    But I have no idea who made the barrel
    I figure if I am building a new 223 AR 15 upper
    I want to get a Good new barrel with a twist rate for 50 or 55 gr bullets

So anyone know of someone making a 20" heavy profile 223 barrel , 22" would also be fine
    1 -12" or 1 - 10" twist
    No gas block , as I plan on a adjustable gas block
    A threaded muzzle , as my Migraine Doctor keeps pushing me to keep the noise down to reduce the Migraines
    So I plan on paying the $200 for the Form 4
    Blue or stainless , either is fine
    But I would be willing to pay the extra for a OD Green or Flat Dark Earth coating

I feel it is better to buy a good barrel to start with

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I built a AR a while back with a X caliber barrel And a SA adjustable gas block. I'm happy with both.
    X caliber Has quite a selection. My last one from them was a AR 10 7mm-08 22" with a rifle +2" gas system.
    If you send them a Good bolt they will tune the head space and give you a MOA guarantee.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

They make this barrel in both threaded and non threaded. All their barrels come with a gas block. I use an Airbrush to spray on KG Gunkote and then bake in the oven on stainless barrels. They have a lot of different colors.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/var...-manifold.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    They make this barrel in both threaded and non threaded. All their barrels come with a gas block. I use an Airbrush to spray on KG Gunkote and then bake in the oven on stainless barrels. They have a lot of different colors.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/var...-manifold.html
    That would be an excellent barrel to use both with jacketed varmint bullets and with appropriate length cast bullets. I've always favored the 12" twist in 223/5.56 bolt action, SSs and gas guns, especially for varmint shooting. I've been using that twist rate since '72 with complete success. In my own 12" twist AR my bullet of preference is the Speer 52 gr HP but BT'd bullets of appropriate length also work fine. Sierras 55 gr Game Kings (not the Blitz) are too long for the 12" twist. The Nosler 50 gr BTs are excellent in my 12" twist rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the 1-12" for the lighter bullets in my bolt guns, but if I was ordering a new barrel, I might check into a 1-11". My favorite bullet is the 53 vmax. I have read people call them a varmint bullet that thinks its a match bullet.

Super Moderator

I bought a White Oak Armament 20" 1/12 twist Varmint upper two years ago, and am very, very pleased with it. I hunt prairie dogs, and the 52 grain Speer HP varmint bullet is my all time favorite. It'll do under 3/4" all day long at 100 yards, and the bullets don't deform as they cycle through the magazine. White Oak makes some great products for sure, worthy of serious consideration.

Boolit Buddy
    Green Mountain Barrels list 12 twist AR barrels, but they have been out of stock for a very long time.

I would love to have one.
    Last edited by PopcornSutton; 01-19-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Rock River Arms sells a 1:12 twist stainless barrel.

I believe they are made by Wilson Arms Barrels, not WilsonCombat.

Boolit Master

Thanks
    Now I do the HARD part
    Figure out what to buy and part with my $$

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

FWIW my bull barreled AR-15 shoots very small groups at 100 yd and 3/4” at 200 with a 1:9 twist. I mostly use 50 gr V-Max and 53 gr Sierra Match King.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I have AR15's in 6.5, 7, 7.7, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 14 twist. Most are Krieger cut rifled. The very fast twist are specially for 80 grain plus bullets.

For general purpose I prefer the 9 twist. In a 9 twist on the Kieger's 40 grain V-max or Nosler BT thru 69 grain hold sub 1/2 MOA for 10 shot groups. I did build a buddy a 13 twist at the same time I did my 9 twist. Identical Krigers except one was 9 twist and the other was 13 twist. With 40 grain thru 55 grain V-max or Nosler BT's both barrel are solid 3/8 MOA. Past 55 grains the 9 twist allows me to use heavier bullet as an option. Both of these rifles were primarily for shooting pararie dogs. The faster spun 9 twist did provide noticeably more explosive impact than the 13 twist.

For jacketed bullets I don't see a downside to using 9 twist over the 12 twist but if you are sure you are not going to use over 55 grain bullets accuracy should be the same with quality bullet.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-22-2022 at 09:43 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

With hunting typically being a rather short ranged affair it's seems more people would use that blunt nosed Speer 70 grainer. If I was hunting with an AR that would be my choice for penetration. Pretty sure little beasties wouldn't shrug them off.

Boolit Master
    Some of the best AR barrels i ran across were Bushmaster 1/9. Even the chrome lined ones were tack drivers. Most of the ones i have gotten lately are 1/8 which is more than you need for 55 grain bullets.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

The 1/9" twist barrels won't handle the thin jacketed bullets [ Speer 52 gr, Hornady SX, Sierra Blitz] as they spin apart if muzzle velocity is above 2800 - 2900 fps. In my 9" twist ARs I usually use the Sierra 55 gr Blitz King (not to be confused with the 55 gr Blitz) over H335 for 3150 fps. It is not nearly as explosive as the Speer 52 gr HP, Hornady SX or Sierra Blitz on rock chucks, rabbits and coyotes. Then too, if regular lubed cast bullets are to be considered the 12" twist gives excellent usable accuracy up through 2300 - 2400 fps. If PC'd and HT'd upwards of 2800 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla