Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Bullet design question for long freebore

Bullet design question for long freebore

I have a 40-70 SS rifle with a 0.408 bore and a freebore of 0.410 that is 0.300 long. I have a boolit that shoots great with smokeless but I have to have several grease grooves exposed for the bullet to just engage the rifling when chambered. I am thinking of having a new boolit mould built that eliminates the top groove (3 would be left) and make a section that is 0.250 long at 0.410 diameter. Using 20:1 alloy, would this work with a length of 0.250 without any lube? Looking for a hunting boolit that is easy to carry in your pocket! Thanks. Bulseyetom

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Don't worry about exposed grooves, it's time to think about powder coating.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Are you loading smokeless or the Holy Black? If Black you need to look at your lube adequacy - if you remove a groove you may need to deepen the ones left or add a lube cookie.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to put lube in the top lube grooves . A good lubricant sometimes is less accurate when all the grooves are filled .
    Have you tried shooting the boolits when they are not touching the lands ... no law says they have to and accuracy might be just as good .
    I would seat the boolit a little deeper into the case and not put lube in the top one or two grooves ...
    Also use a quality lube like SPG .

Unless you are looking for an excuse to have a custom mould made , a quality lube and not filling the exposed lube grooves should do the trick . Poor lubes and Black powder might need as much as possible but Modern lubes are very efficient at keeping things lead-free ... Worth a Shot !
    (Sorry about the bad shot pun ... I couldn't help myself )
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I am shooting smokeless with the bullet. I use either Javalina lube or SPG and am not shooting very fast with 1600 fps or so maximum velocity. I will try a few lubed only on the bottom grooves and see what happens. It is easy to do as I pan lube everything. The extra long freebore length of 0.300 is a royal PITA sometimes! Thanks for all responses. Tom