RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith To Bore Cylinder To Barrel

Boolit Mold

Smith To Bore Cylinder To Barrel

First new post:

I have a few Freedom Arms revolvers. I like that the cylinders’ chambers are bored in aligment with barrel, as opposed using timing to align the cylinder with the bore.

Does anyone one know of a currently working gunsmith that would make a new cylinder for my S&W 617, boring the cylinders to align with barrel. Of course I would make sure the work to be done in conjunction with such would include reducing play in lock-up and end-shake.

Maybe my “google” skills aren’t good enough, but I haven’t had success in searching— all roads have led back to Kuhnhausen and Freedom Arms. I thought I once read about a ‘smith in California that’s manufactured custom cylinders, but I haven’t been able to find said post on any forums.

Thanks for any help!

Boolit Grand Master

Isnt the 617 a 22 rim fire? Thats going to be a long skinny boring bar to reach threw the ring and cylinder.

Boolit Mold
    Hadn’t thought about that, but good point. I know FA line-bores, and I think most assume the 22s are line bored also. I may reach out to FA, and see if their 22s are line bored, such as the larger calibers. I don’t want to be chasing a process that just can’t be executed due to doability constraints. Thanks for the thoughts.

(Just sent them an email. I expect quick response, as they are good at that. )
    Last edited by AK_Salmon; 01-18-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Might check with Andy Horvath.

Andy Horvath
    Diagonal Road Gun Shop
    14131 Diagonal Rd.
    LaGrange, OH 44050

(440) 458-4369

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Nobade! Will hit Andy up tomorrow. Even if he doesn’t, he should know if anyone does.
    Last edited by AK_Salmon; 01-19-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Straight from FA: “All of the cylinders are line bored the same, no matter the caliber”

Thanks for the provocative (in a good way) question Country Gent. At least I know it’s doable with currently existing tooling.

Line boring cylinder was a big thing some years back, but no longer is. There is a reason why. Any accuracy improvement from a line bored cylinder is very small and not worth the rather high cost.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Biggest and most expensive issue will be getting someone who can machine, heat treat and fit a cylinder blank for your 617. Good luck with that. As Charger said, not worth the expense for the minimal gain.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Isnt the 617 a 22 rim fire? Thats going to be a long skinny boring bar to reach threw the ring and cylinder.
    Normally align boring is done by centering the boring head off the threads in the frame not through the barrel.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Correct on cost versus gain, but that hasn’t stopped me supporting the gunsmiths, lol.
    Not wanting to give more than a ‘smith would offer to do it for, but I’d be willing to pony up some good $. My Freedoms Arms have tight lockups, and little endplay, but I feel the line boring elimates any odd cylinder issues. I have Smith revolvers that I’ve tested chamber by chamber, and found in two cases where one of the chambers had a group of its own. Now that I’m thinking through it, I need to do that test on this specific revolver.
    Thanks for the input—you’re helping me think through this a bit more.
    Last edited by AK_Salmon; 01-19-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Cylinders with uneven throats group according to which chamber is being fired. In short, inconsistent throats cause pressure variations, which cause the gun to recoil differently in the shooter's hands, this in turn causes the boolit to strike a different point of impact than a tighter throat, or a much looser throat. The same will happen with uneven powder charges, uneven seating depth, etc. Anything that causes variables, causes inconsistent recoil which opens groups accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Salmon View Post
    I have Smith revolvers that I’ve tested chamber by chamber, and found in two cases where one of the chambers had a group of its own.
    Check the holes that throw fliers, see what is different about them. Many times honing a cylinder and making the throats consistent in diameter, within a couple of tenths of each other, will correct the fliers.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Check the holes that throw fliers, see what is different about them. Many times honing a cylinder and making the throats consistent in diameter, within a couple of tenths of each other, will correct the fliers.
    Thanks for the suggestion Doug. I’ve just been living with it on the two aforementioned Smiths. If I find a gunsmith to line bore for the 617, I was going to send these off too. I just assumed the jig at the factory was getting sloppy at the time of manufacture on these two guns.

Remember a .22 doesn't have throats. Since it uses outside lubricated bullets the chambers are the same diameter all the way through.
    If it is throwing flyers in one or more chambers, check the locking notches and make sure the bolt drops in correctly and completely. Sometimes a notch will get peened over and not lock up correctly, allowing that chamber to be misaligned when it's fired.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Remember a .22 doesn't have throats. Since it uses outside lubricated bullets the chambers are the same diameter all the way through.
    If it is throwing flyers in one or more chambers, check the locking notches and make sure the bolt drops in correctly and completely. Sometimes a notch will get peened over and not lock up correctly, allowing that chamber to be misaligned when it's fired.
    S&W have chambers, rather tight ones at that. With .2245" throats for the most part. I ream a LOT of these. They are NOT bored straight through.

Ruger on the other hand, uses a straight through .227" cylinder. You can guess why ten out of ten competition shooters use the S&W and not the Ruger.

Boolit Mold
    Wow, some great info here guys. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    S&W have chambers, rather tight ones at that. With .2245" throats for the most part. I ream a LOT of these. They are NOT bored straight through.

Ruger on the other hand, uses a straight through .227" cylinder. You can guess why ten out of ten competition shooters use the S&W and not the Ruger.
    Really? I gotta go look at my K22 now. I coulda swore they were straight.

Boolit Mold

Freedom Arms Cylinder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBF927F0-C933-4F9B-B8CB-5E1101C711D2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	294969

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	657250C2-4997-4DF0-9418-5E9852ADDDD7.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	294971
    Took me forever to size this pic to upload. Anyway, this is the FA 97 in 22 LR.

I hope this shoots as good as my two FA 454 Casulls to bring it all back to boolits. I just picked this one up today.

Cheers,
    Phil
    Last edited by AK_Salmon; 01-21-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Nice! Now there's no need to modify anything else. From what I've seen those shoot incredibly well. Really the only 22LR revolver accurate enough to shoot IHMSA silhouette at the top level. You'll certainly enjoy it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Nice! Now there's no need to modify anything else. From what I've seen those shoot incredibly well. Really the only 22LR revolver accurate enough to shoot IHMSA silhouette at the top level. You'll certainly enjoy it.
    Haha, no. This one is not going to be modified. Ultimately, the start of the thread arose from the purchase of this gun. I'm looking for a holy grail of a more aesthetically pleasing (in my eyes) S&W, that will shoot as accurately as the Freedom Arms.

I am super glad I ordered the Model 97 though. The 83 is just too much frame, and I find the shortened cylinders of the 83 not pleasant to look at.

Cheers, and y'all have a good weekend!
    Last edited by AK_Salmon; 01-22-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast