RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Cast coated in my henry 30-30

Boolit Mold

Cast coated in my henry 30-30

Have some coated cast from sns 136 gr. Shooting a pattern at 20 yards while sighting in using vortex green dot. Poderpuff load with unique. Not expecting much but better than 4” groups @ 20yds. Gun shoots copper fairly accurately at fifty yds 1-2” groups. Would like to try a different boolit. Recommendations please. No, I did not slug the barrel as not trying for extreme accuracy. Tia

One sized .311

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

When I first started reloading cast in my 30-30 I thought the Lee C309-120-R would be just the thing for light loads on cans ... but that light boolit just didn't shoot . It may be too short
    A C309-170-F grouped much better from the git-go ... with 7.0 to 10.0 grs. Unique , just dial in your rifles accuracy sweet spot . My daughter just loves that 170 gr. boolit with 10.0 grs. Unique in my model 94 Winchester .
    Important tip ... use the gas check on the boolit ...it makes a big accuracy difference in my rifle .

Welcome to Castboolits !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I’m guessing plain based. How much unique?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D078CD7-687E-416A-8F6E-0E62B5B5CAE7.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	294768

This was a 165 grain bullet, with 5.5/Red Dot at 50 yards. Bullet was sized .310, as I recall.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

145gr PB PC from 336 with 9.5 unique. Worked fine @ 50. Loaded some more with 10 gr. Just from front bag. Ignore flyers from another gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20220105.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	294779
    Whatever!

What size Popper?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

My Henry likes .311 a lot. Not so much so for .310. My Marlins I had once were the same way. With .309's the Marlin couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, The Henry would at least hit paper. I haven't slugged the Henry, I had a variety of cast boolits so just tried some. Even some mouse fart loads with .311's shoot really good.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all for the help. My coated cast miked out at 3095. Have some 311 on order from midway. Been using 8 gr of 2400. Going to step it up a bit. Last time shooting cast was back in the 1970’s using moms 336! The henry shoots copper pretty good, so there is hope!

Let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Master
    just last week someone else was asking about very similar situation with 30-30.
    my suggestion if you have or can find a source for cheap alloy, clip on wheel weights would be great, make the investment for a an old stainless or cast iron pot, m some sort of burner or hot plate to put it on, a few stainless tablespoons or larger you can shape into a ladle and an old toaster oven for powder coating from thrift store, some welding gloves to protect your hands. and then I noticed that mid south shooters supply currently has the lee 309-170f, 1000 hornady .30 cal gas checks and lee .311 push through die in stock. then get a pound of powder paint, a cool whip container and some plastic bb's from Walmart for powder coating.
    this is about the minimum you will need to be shooting and making your own bullets. this is of course if you have brass, powder and primers.
    welcome to the world of bullet casting a truly rewarding hobby.
    oh one thing I forgot, an expander for the case mouth, but since you have already loaded some cast loads I guess maybe you already have one.

Or use liquid alox thinned with mineral spirits. 2 thin coats. One before sizing. One after sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtswampfox View Post
    Thanks all for the help. My coated cast miked out at 3095. Have some 311 on order from midway. Been using 8 gr of 2400. Going to step it up a bit. Last time shooting cast was back in the 1970’s using moms 336! The henry shoots copper pretty good, so there is hope!
    The 2400 might not be the best powder at that level. Do you have any fast shotgun/pistol powders? Most anything from Unique or faster for 1000 fps or slower. My best powder is 700X at 5.6 grains and it don't matter what the boolit weight is. Most any fast powder like the Dot's, Bullseye, Tight group, HP-38 etc... can be made to work. Search this forum for subsonic or powder puff or cat sneeze load and the caliber and you will be reading for days.
    I have switched to normal weight for caliber like the 150 plain base in 30-30 with the above load. Feeds better than the light for caliber and I think it's easier to find an accurate load. I do think the .311 should do much better.
    If you increase the 2400 very much more you might need a gas check unless your using coated.
    Tony