WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder Scales??

Boolit Master

Powder Scales??

When did the different powder scale manufactures stop using the 10th grain markings where the
    pointer is? I know it had to do with the cost but damn, I like the old markings a whole lot better.
    Anyone know of a way to duplicate these markings on the newer scales? Thanks for any info.
    leadhead

Boolit Grand Master

You might check the .1 grads against a steel ruler. 1/8 1/16 1/32 and 1/64 to see if they line up with .1 adjustments. If one does then a inexpensive general 6" scale cut to be ) then the grads each way to fill the spot.

Set the scale up and zero measure the, measure with the scale adjust .1 grn and re measure. do this a few times each way to verify. Im thinking 1/16 or 1/32 will be very close. Once you determine the distance of the spacing then its a simple matter to make the new insert. .

Boolit Master
    Another way to do it is to zero the scale, put a label or something you can mark on under the pointer and mark the zero point. Now put a 1 grain check weight in the pan, and re-zero it using the poises. Take the check weight out mark where the pointer drops to. Put a 2 grain check weight in the pan and mark where the pointer rises to. You now have the center, 1 grain up and 1 grain down marked. Get out your rulers and mark the intermediate points at .1 (or .2) grain intervals.

Still another way Is to zero the scale, mark the zero point, weigh a paper clip, move the grains poise up one grain, mark this point, move the poise down two grains, and mark that point. You now have the center, one grain up and one grain down marked. Put in the intermediate points.
    Last edited by C.F.Plinker; 01-18-2022 at 02:32 PM.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Depending on how good your printer is - creating the desired label / measurement scale on your computer, printing and cutting it out is fairly straightforward. Keeping the measurements true can be a struggle because of printer distortion, but I have made several for my heavy use instruments and glued them in place.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should just look for an older model with the
    marks already on it.
    leadhead

Boolit Master

I concur, having the tenths marks at the pointer are handy. Without doing much looking I see the Redding #2 scale still has them.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    When did the different powder scale manufactures stop using the 10th grain markings where the
    pointer is? I know it had to do with the cost but damn, I like the old markings a whole lot better.
    Anyone know of a way to duplicate these markings on the newer scales? Thanks for any info.
    leadhead
    Perhaps I have an alternate (?) method, started when I got a Dial-A-Gram (as opposed to Dial-A-Grain) scales. After (figuratively) pulling out hair trying to come up with a marking, I reduced it to simple math and a small bottle of White-Out (correction fluid -- which, incidentally I had to make dots on revolver sights). I converted grains to grams and then got scale at EXACT spot. Then I used a small piece of black paper stuck on with (removable) Elmer's Glue Stick glue. Finally, I dipped a pencil point in the White-out and applied a dot to the black paper. This, bion, worked like a charm!
    (As an example, say I needed 30 grains. This is 1.944 grams, so I'd trickle powder to that exact amount. I'd then apply the piece of black paper, followed with the dot of WhiteOut. A slightly used #2 pencil point gave a perfect-sized dot.
    Just an alternative to putting a new scale on it. Worked for me for years....
    geo