Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder for 223 cast in an AR15?

Powder for 223 cast in an AR15?

Looking into what powders I can use for heavier 75-80gr GC cast bullets that will cycle an AR15.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

+ another for 4895, preferably H4895 with those heavier case bullets. RL7 would be my next choice.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    W748 at around 20 grains

Boolit Buddy
    H-335 at 19 grains with 55 grain cast in mine works the action.

What would be a good velocity to shoot for with an 80gr cast bullet? What velocity did you guys have luck with?

I tested 18gr of IMR-4198 and got 1796fps I don't really have any load data to go off of so not sure how fast I should push these.

Whatever cycles the action and gives you accuracy. Normally with boolits i load for accuracy. With an AR most want it to cycle as well. There is a balance point. The rifle will tell you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Thanks these did cycle my mini-14 rifle just fine guess I'm trying to get an idea of a max fps since I'm not really going by any published data since I can't find anything for 80gr cast.

I need to test them again for groups but I will say the 55gr cast were terrible and these 80gr were way better my rifle is from the 90's so its gotta be a 1/7 if it liked the heavier bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by commando223 View Post
    Thanks these did cycle my mini-14 rifle just fine guess I'm trying to get an idea of a max fps since I'm not really going by any published data since I can't find anything for 80gr cast.

I need to test them again for groups but I will say the 55gr cast were terrible and these 80gr were way better my rifle is from the 90's so its gotta be a 1/7 if it liked the heavier bullet.
    One way I tell twist is to put a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod and insert in barrel. Put a piece of tape at the muzzle with the rod in the barrel with the tape at 12 O'clock and pull until the tape is at 12'Oclock again and measure the distance from the tape to the muzzle. If it is a 1 by 7 twist it should be 7 inch's. Sometimes the barrel twist might be off a little, say 1 by 7 1/2 or 1 by 6.9 etc.

Getting a gun to shoot boolits as accurately as it does jacketed is not that hard assuming the gun has no major issues. Getting a gun to shoot boolits as FAST and accurately as it does jacketed is a whole nother critter. Some very advanced loaders make it happen.

Ultimately the question is what do you want the boolit load to do? If you want to duplicate all aspects of factory jacketed rifle loads you have a very long road ahead. I have never done it in any high velocity cartridge. On the other hand I have matched the accuracy of factory loads on a repeatable basis. The targets, soda cans, and critters never knew the difference.

Full power and accuracy is a PhD in loading boolits and I remain in junior college.

Boolit Master
    My load for cast in my AR's one 1:9 the other 1:7 is either IMR or H 4895 18.7 gr ! As the other poster stated runs about 1900 fps. works the action perfectly with lock back on last round! Get about 1.5" groups at 100 yards! Minute of man at 200 yards! I found pushing my cast boolits any faster accuracy went to hell!
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 05-08-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate 5744 around 13 grains will work.