MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Number of shots to down a deer

In a discussion of Non Spinal Column bullet wounds, I do think it matters a Lot what physiological state the animal is in (adrenalin, oxygen level, heart rate, blood pressure, etc.), as to how far it may travel after receiving a particular fatal hit that created a certain measurable degree of damage. An animal with a wound that does not immediately drop blood pressure to zero does retain willful action for a lesser period of time if it is calm when shot, as compared to an animal that is pumped full of adrenalin & oxygen, as long as there is not sufficient time to for the blood to carry a sudden release of adrenalin throughout the body from the effect of the bullet impact.
    Adrenalin raises heart rate and oxygenation, and limits blood supply to extremities driving the available oxygenated blood to the central nervous system and organs. It is how it works.
    It also matters how much damage is created in the organs in question by the bullet impact. Some wounds will close, and may eventually heal. Others incur damage to an extent that the body cannot stop blood loss sufficiently through clotting mechanisms to prevent a rapid loss of volume and drop in blood pressure, thus quickly starving the brain of oxygen.

Don't think that clotting is a scab. Clotting is a function of platelets in the blood, in response to some types of trauma, and can even occur inside of animal that does not have open bleeding and blood loss. Think of a clot as creation of a plug, and it’s a reasonable analogy. Those great big slippery brownish red blobs in a deer’s chest cavity when you gut it after a heart shot are clots. They are not busted up organs as some think. Organs have definitive structure, clots do not.
    When the brain stops getting oxygenated, death occurs. If the brain keeps getting oxygen, the animal will stay alive. Perhaps "alive" is not pretty, and a wounded animal will develop infection or become immobilized, but if blood is pumping and oxygen is getting to the brain, the animal will be alive. This is setting aside discussion on starvation.

I started this off w/ "non spinal column". I don't think much of shooting game animals on the spine, generally. I have shot game this way, and the common proponent refrain is true: immediate cessation of motor control is achieved. The result is the '...rug was jerked out under him...' response.
    However, the target area is small in relation to thoracic cavity shots on heart/lung, and the proper aiming point for spinal shots can be misleading. The proper aiming point on the neck, in relation to vertical span, is different at the chest cavity end than at the head, it is also at a different point on the span of the neck for a heavily muscled buck, or one in the rut, than a doe. I have also seen misplaced shots let deer survive with what amounted to a tracheotomy. I remember a buck shot this way by a relative return to the bait pile the next year and it blew steam out of a hole in its neck.
    A non fatal shot here is not necessarily a 'clean miss' like so many would believe. These non misses can easily become infected and lead to a lingering death.

Most sporting cartridges, sold for a given purpose such as deer hunting, while employing a properly designed bullet for the purpose, will create sufficient damage to rupture a heart, or create a wound through the thoracic cavity sufficient to cause collapsing of the lungs, resulting in reasonably quick death for the animal.
    Note "sold for a given purpose, while employing a properly designed bullet".
    To the people who want easy energy number comparisons to defend why one cartridge is OK for use on a game animal because something of similar energy worked, keep in mind that a 25 gr 17 caliber frangible bullet has Exactly the same kinetic energy at 4000 fps (realm of 17 Remington) as a 400 gr 475 cal hard cast homogenous lead bullet traveling at 1000 fps (480 Ruger realm of operation).
    Kinetic energy = 1/2MV^2. 16 times the Mass, at 1/4 the speed = same energy.
    No one should think for one second that this type of 17 caliber bullet will penetrate as well, or cause the same type of wound cavity as the 475. If you disagree, you have never looked at ballistic media tests, nor done thorough post-mortem examinations of game animals.

Fatal is fatal however, and if a shot sufficiently disrupts the organs that infuse blood with oxygen, or pump the oxygenated blood to the brain, then the animal so shot will die relatively quickly and it won’t matter the brand of rifle that fired the cartridge or caliber bullet that struck it.
    I have shot a good number deer using pistols (44 Rem Mag, 475s, 30-06, 35 Remington) and rifles (7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 35 Whelen Imp, 416 Wildcat off 30-40 Krag, 44 Rem Mag), as well as a good number of antelope (using 6x250 Imp, 6-280 Imp, 7mm RUM, 30-06), boar (35 Whelen Imp), bison (35 Whelen Imp & 500 Linebaugh Long), under varying conditions regarding impact point, yardage to target, bullet construction, etc.
    I can tell you from experience and an understanding of anatomical function that if the heart is ruptured, i.e. cardiac muscle tissue is torn to significant extent by hydraulic action of bullet impact acting on the blood volume inside the heart, or the thoracic cavity is penetrated and a hole through both sides is created large enough so that it cannot seal, thus causing rapid collapsing of both lungs, there will be no noticeable difference what firearm you used given that the animal is in a similar state as another of its species before being so shot.

Here is where the rub comes in: most people want to debate '...what works best...' over a range of cartridge/bullet availability that were all designed to do basically the same thing. Most medium game shot in the US are whitetail deer. Most hunting centerfire medium game rifles and cartridges sold in the US commercially are designed to kill whitetail deer.
    All the cartridge/bullet combinations designed to reliably kill whitetail deer will kill whitetail deer if employed correctly. So, if you look at "dead deer" as the criteria, then this very gross metric makes a lot of things equal. If I have rained on your '...mine is better...' parade, then sorry, but facts are facts.
    The deer / antelope / boar I have shot with different cartridges and bullets all acted the same if the internal damage was the same. Ruptured heart, deer go flop, if calm. Immediate collapse of both lungs, deer run 40-60 yards if calm. How far they move after the shot is extended if they are ‘jacked up’.

If you look into the detail of How the cartridge/bullet killed the animal, and how forgiving the cartridge/bullet combination is for shot placement (can it handle impact of leg bone during entry into the chest cavity, can it penetrate far enough to make it through rear haunches on a facing away presentation, etc.), then you must make a different evaluation and "Does it work" becomes more refined.

In field hunting conditions things happen: some intervening object deflects the bullet in path, a hunter chose a bullet fine for 300 yd impact because they hunted crop fields and then actually shot the game out of a hedgerow at 50 ft causing over expansion & shallow wounding, buttstock slipped on a shoulder in an awkward shooting position, etc.
    Sooner or later, if a person hunts enough, a shot will be taken that results in poor bullet placement on the animal. We don’t hunt with benchrest unlimited guns for animals with kill zones painted on their sides, presented perfectly aligned to the hunter and bullet path. For this reason I prefer to use a cartridge & bullet that are as forgiving as reasonably possible for the game being hunted, no matter how it presents, and this does not have to be a belted magnum nor a 40+ caliber cartridge for deer. Bullet selection, given sufficient cartridge choice is a key component.

For these same reasons, eventually a hunter will need to take more than one shot on a game animal to kill it. No shame in that, at least as long as it is an occasional occurrence due to uncontrollable factors.

Though outside of this thread, but seemingly repeated often in this type of discussion, extrapolating what works for controlled conditions of killing domestic hogs or beef cattle for slaughter, what works for a poacher who is primarily concerned w/ detection of an illegal act rather than wounding game, or some anecdotal success in an emergency situation with a 22 RF and a grizzly bear, is not really relevant to a discussion on ethical hunting practices.

Plate P , no it was the disease they get from the midge fly. We lost maybe 70% of our deer 8 - 10 years ago. We were on the rebound. Only saw 1 deer this fall in the several seasons I can hunt. A nice buck but he only came within a out 400 yards. I wasn't hunting then but did have some binocs. That's how this year ended.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Moderator Emeritus

Don, i took the heart out of a 2 point whitetail at 125 yards. He went off on a dead run, consider the source of that term, and over the hill. I found no blood for 25 yards working in a circle. Found what might have been 2 or three drops 40 yards away then it went dry. I assumed I had missed or grazed him and went around the hill on a trail and found a blood trail out both sides that was 12 " wide. The deer was within 10 yards of it. He was fat which might have sealed it but the heart was loose in the chest and the cavity was full of blood.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Anyone who has bowhunted and shot deer through the chest is familiar with the death run . Both lungs and/ or heart and they do the death run. Run full speed until they drop, usually less than 75 yards.
    I've not killed hundreds of southeastern deer but I have killed a few dozen, all with heart/lung hits from a variety of weapons. Only a few dropped right there and only one traveled as far as 75 yards. Most go unconscious within 50 yards and, head over a shoulder, slide to a stop while running as hard as they can go.

I've killed deer with a bow, a .243, 7x57, 7 Rem Mag, .30-30, .35 Rem, .308, .30-06 and a .54 cal smoke pole and I've seen no real difference in how the lung holes get punched. If the hit is high and through both lungs a dead deer will be within 75 yards or half that ... everytime.

The only deer I've had to shoot twice was with the .243. Actually, one round was plenty but he kept standing perfectly still so I assumed I'd missed and popped him again; then he dropped. Both entrance holes were only about 1.5" apart so the second bullet wasn't needed. (IMHO, the .243/100 gr. is plenty for whitetail.)

Of course there's one guy who hunts near me and claims he once "blew the heart of a deer with a .30-30 and then had to track it "about a mile." So, he says he then bought a .338 Win Mag to be sure he has enough "power" to reliably kill 150# Georgia deer! (I've seen how he shoots and think what he really needs is a WW2 bazooka loaded with some new self-guided heatseeker ammo.)

Death with an arrow is caused strictly by blood loss, where a firearm will stop a deer by blood loss, organ, Central nervous system or severe skeletal damage (usually stops them, but my need to finish the job).
    Exactly so. Any high lung hit will immediately flood the lung surfaces, top to bottom, with blood and that totally stops any oxygen exchange. No animal with badly leaking lungs is going to run far. Fifty yards is a long way for any deer to run flat out through the woods while (effectively) holding its breath.

I find it difficult to believe ....
    Ditto. In fact, I find it so difficult to believe that I don't believe it.

We like to eat venison but we can't eat meat that's been exploded into a bloody paste by a high velocity bullet. Of course I like all of my deer killers but I've come to dearly love my 336/.35 Rem. (and bow) best of all. The old .35 is plenty accurate, it shoots plenty flat out to about 150 yards and I can eat the bullet hole.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-19-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've probably killed 30-40 deer in PA and VA using 270 Win and 30-06 and one or two with 6.5/284. Shots from 50 to 288 yds. Most were shot with 270 Win 130gr j-words and dropped where they stood. Bullets stopped inside the animals, generally under the skin on the far side. The only ones that ever ran (less than 50 yds generally) were shot with 30-06 Power Point 150gr j-words that passed right through. Only once had to shoot one twice -- a big doe shot w/ 30-06 at point-blank range. Both bullets went right through, but the 2nd one was in the neck.

Boolit Master
    My father had a placard hanging on the wall of our cabin that read: "Dear Lord, let me shoot clean, kill clean. And if I can't kill clean, please Lord, let me miss clean." I have chuckled over that message many times but have followed it every hunting day in the deer woods. If the target isn't right (for any of the usual reasons) it isn't fired. If it is right, there will be meat on the ground. Works every time.

Banned

ive killed ALOT of deer as anyone on here that knows me knows is fact. Ill say this. Ive never shot a deer hit it and shot again. Either they go down or dont and run off. Ive missed deer at LONG range and had them take a few leaps and stop and then shot and hit them. Ive walked up on deer ive tracked that were still alive and put them down with a pistol or rifle. But if you claim every deer youve shot died instantly or within visual distance of you. Then your either hunting where you can see for miles or you just havent shot many deer. Ive seen deer hit perfectly make 200 yards and that can be major tracking issues in some places we shoot deer. Deer are hard to predict. You can shoot 10 in the vitals and they drop right on the spot. You can hit #11 in the same spot and have it run 200 yards or more. Heck i can honestly say ive seen gut shot deer drop on the spot and in the same day had one hit in the vitals that ran off. This is why im a propent of not just using the smallest gun i can get away with but if anything using one on the powerful side for the game im shooting. Hit deer in the meat with any caliber and your going to loose that meat. Hit one in the ribs (lungs) with a 300 mag and it 9 times out of 10 is going down faster then if you hit it with a 308. Hit it there with either and all your loosing is ribs and that doesnt bother me. Have the deer of a lifetime step out at 400 yards instead of a 100 and youll thank God you took out that 300mag that day. You cant kill a deer to dead. Thin man hit on something very important too. If your not absolutely sure of your shot and that its within your skill range of the ethical range of the gun your using DONT SHOOT. Even following this rule if you shoot enough deer your going to mess up. Weve had a few guys that wanted to do crop damage shooting with us and we took them along and after the first day they were never asked again. Why. Because they sounded like a war zone where they were shooting. One guy shot 9 times one evening and had one dead deer. He claimed he missed all the others so it wasnt worth going over and checking for blood!!!!! Sad thing was he was proud of that deer he shot!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive killed ALOT of deer as anyone on here that knows me knows is fact. Ill say this. Ive never shot a deer hit it and shot again. Either they go down or dont and run off. Ive missed deer at LONG range and had them take a few leaps and stop and then shot and hit them. Ive walked up on deer ive tracked that were still alive and put them down with a pistol or rifle. But if you claim every deer youve shot died instantly or within visual distance of you. Then your either hunting where you can see for miles or you just havent shot many deer. Ive seen deer hit perfectly make 200 yards and that can be major tracking issues in some places we shoot deer. Deer are hard to predict. You can shoot 10 in the vitals and they drop right on the spot. You can hit #11 in the same spot and have it run 200 yards or more. Heck i can honestly say ive seen gut shot deer drop on the spot and in the same day had one hit in the vitals that ran off. This is why im a propent of not just using the smallest gun i can get away with but if anything using one on the powerful side for the game im shooting. Hit deer in the meat with any caliber and your going to loose that meat. Hit one in the ribs (lungs) with a 300 mag and it 9 times out of 10 is going down faster then if you hit it with a 308. Hit it there with either and all your loosing is ribs and that doesnt bother me. Have the deer of a lifetime step out at 400 yards instead of a 100 and youll thank God you took out that 300mag that day. You cant kill a deer to dead. Thin man hit on something very important too. If your not absolutely sure of your shot and that its within your skill range of the ethical range of the gun your using DONT SHOOT. Even following this rule if you shoot enough deer your going to mess up. Weve had a few guys that wanted to do crop damage shooting with us and we took them along and after the first day they were never asked again. Why. Because they sounded like a war zone where they were shooting. One guy shot 9 times one evening and had one dead deer. He claimed he missed all the others so it wasnt worth going over and checking for blood!!!!! Sad thing was he was proud of that deer he shot!!
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    My experience is they don't go very far when hit with a Dodge! You guys and your silly firearms.
    One year my Dad and brother were sitting around the table and I regaled them with the tale of the doe that crossed a dirt road and I dropped her with my Model '83.
    My brother asked "83 what?"
    And I replied "Toyota."

All I have to add is how many of you know guys that have been hunting for years and don’t know the first thing about ballistics or have guns or bows that have never been set up properly or scopes that have not been mounted correctly or sighted in ?
    I could tell you dozens of true stories that I have experienced with guys who hunt but don’t know - - - - about how a gun works.
    These are the guys that buy a gun that comes with a scope mounted and thinks they come pre sighted and work with any ammo they have, especially the ammo someone gave them 20 years ago without ever shooting them first before going deer hunting with them.
    Or the guy who will never shoot a target when anyone is present and claims he has the rifle sighted perfectly but if and when he does hit a deer it’s always gut shot or hit somewhere that the deer is never recovered.

I could give too many examples of intelligent people that act so stupidly with a gun when hunting deer that you would think I made it up and I am sure I ain’t seen it all but got to shake my head remembering some of the things I have seen and heard. I’m sure most of you know people like this but no longer will hunt with them.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    All I have to add is how many of you know guys that have been hunting for years and don’t know the first thing about ballistics or have guns or bows that have never been set up properly or scopes that have not been mounted correctly or sighted in ?
    You're right. And you prompt a couple of laughable memories of some well meaning real life hunter dummies:

1. Hey Jim, you shoot a lot, tell us how far a rifle bullet will travel before it starts to drop. Jim says, "As soon as it clears the muzzle." Response back, "No, seriously how far will it go before it starts to drop?"

2. "Hey Jim, bullets are speeding up when they leave the muzzle, how much faster will they normally go before they start to slow down?" Jim cannot answer because he's gasping for breath in a fit of uncontrollable laughter.

Bottom line, it's nearly hopeless to help much.

Due to the long decades of socialist dreams and the determined efforts of America's professional uneducation system, I find that the very nice young people asking such bad questions rarely possess a sufficient grounding in science - or math - to accept the real answers.

Today's woke kid's world is kinda flat and they ALL know "science" says we and the polar bears will all burn to a crisp if we don't stop driving cars and running our community sustainable yurt's space heaters/air conditioners by the end of the year. What year is that you may ask? "Why, EVERY year you dummy!" they effectively say.
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-22-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've killed a lot of deer and been in on watching lots of deer killed. I've seen very, very few exceptions to the rule of "if the bullet (or arrow) is put in the right place, the deer dies". I can think of one mule deer that I watched my brother hit with a .308 Winchester, great placement, 150 gr. ballistic tip didn't penetrate well. Huge wound on the ribcage. We tracked him for over a mile before he finally gave in. I shot a deer with a bow at 25 yards, biggest WT I've ever had in range of any weapon. Good shot - slightly high. Pass through. Found the arrow. Tracked over two miles of cornfields. Farmer called me a week later and said he saw my buck in a slough when he was harvesting. Two weeks after that a neighbor called on opening day of rifle season "I shot your buck". Sure did. B&C 6x7. I helped him skin it. Scarred whorls from my broadhead were in the skin. Still don't know how he didn't die. Otherwise, deer that are recovered are from poor bullet placement. No more, no less. We all make mistakes. Sometimes the animal moves. Sometimes equipment fails. But bullet/projectile placement rarely, rarely fails. And there are many different paths to the vitals. Just make sure your bullet will get there from whatever angle you're shooting at.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Amen to all of this. My brother in law hit a big muley buck about 15 years ago when we were hunting West River SD and I had to help him track it. "My shot was perfect. He should be down." .30-06 with 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. When we finally caught up to him he missed him four times at about 200 yards when he was lying down with his head up. I finally pulled the trigger and put it where I wanted in the neck. His "perfect" shot was across the front of the brisket. Of course, this is the same guy that I did load workup for with his Browning A-Bolt, 57 gr. IMR 4350 and that 165 gr. Ballistic Tip. Then I guided him through loading his own on my equipment. He called the next weekend, wondering why his rifle wouldn't shoot any better than a 3" group. We hit the range and I had him put five downrange. Yup. 3" group at best. I asked for the rifle and sent 5 downrange. Exactly the same results as when I did load workup. sub-MOA. I loaded the rifle for him and asked him to shoot again, but put an empty in the chamber. Flinched like an abused dog when he pulled the trigger. "There's the problem".
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Grand Master

This deals with elk but it has some interesting observations https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/bl...JtSvlWK4wc0xMI
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    This deals with elk but it has some interesting observations https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/bl...JtSvlWK4wc0xMI
    What kind of fool has two different bullets loaded in the same gun for the same hunt? I tend to ignore idiots.

Now, there may be a very good reason he hunts this way, but I cannot think of it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    1 shot placed correctly should always equal 1 dead deer . I know a kid that has killed a ton of deer with a .17 rimfire , never known him to shoot one twice . The not enough gun argument don't hold water as far as I'm concerned . Costal Brown bears , maybe , deer , no way . Deer are lost due to bad shot placement and either lack of tracking knowledge or being too lazy to spend the time to recover the wounded deer. I been hunting a hair over 50 years and have eaten or gave away every deer I ever put a bullet in .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    What kind of fool has two different bullets loaded in the same gun for the same hunt? I tend to ignore idiots.
    The part about needing to consider the cost of shooting a 7Mag or .300 got me.

I may be among the ultra rich and not even know it:
    For all it takes to go on a elk hunting trip and the over all expense of it-
    the difference in the cost of shooting a .300Mag. over a.270 wouldn't even come up on my radar.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The part about needing to consider the cost of shooting a 7Mag or .300 got me.

I may be among the ultra rich and not even know it:
    For all it takes to go on a elk hunting trip and the over all expense of it-
    the difference in the cost of shooting a .300Mag. over a.270 wouldn't even come up on my radar.
    heck even crop damage shooting where we shoot a 100 deer a year whats 10 more grains of powder in each case. Even factory ammo. compare 270 to 300 mag. Maybe 10 bucks a box difference. So i would have to buy 5 boxes at so 50 bucks more. Heck lets say even a 100 bucks more. Now figure the meat you put in the freezer and what it saved on your food bill through the year. That 100 bucks is nothing. Heck spend a couple nights do all night searches for wounded deer and youd gladly give 50 bucks to walk up on that deer and go home to bed. My guess is that complaint about the cost comes from someone with 4 or 5 rifles. A nice 4x4 pickup to go hunting. Good hunting clothes and maybe even an atv or heck a camp to go hunting at. Probably spend more on beer in hunting season then the differnce in that ammo cost. Winger is right. Thats just digging deep to justify what your using. Its a non issue. If it gets so bad that i have to worry about the difference in cost between a box of 270s and 300 mags i wont be going hunting. ill be to conserned with getting off my duff and finding a job that pays me enough to actually live. I would surely know that somewhere along the line i made BIG MISTAKES!!

Banned

well im sorry but your buddy with his 17 rimfire is an idiot that needs his kicked. Id like to watch you track a deer wounded by that pop gun in TN where theres not even any snow. Buddy must be full blown apache. 50 years and never for ANY reason lost a deer???? Either you have a bad memory or just didnt shoot that many deer in 50 years. Ive shot deer and had to track them when it started raining or a snow storm hit that covered tracks. Ive had deer run into elephant grass that you cant see a foot in front of you in and would have to be a lucky sob to come up on blood. ive seen deer shot with 2506s 243s 223s ect that left absoultely no blood trail. I probably shoot an average of 50 deer a year and so does my partner. Im sure a year went by that we didnt loose one. But most years we loose maybe one. Now both of us have been doing this for over 10 years. Both of us shoot more then most on here and are good shots and are WAY past buck fever. Fact of the matter is you can do everything right and yup even use enough gun and if you shoot enough deer your going to lose one even if you stay up all night looking. Anyone that wants to argue that is just like i said. Someone who just hasnt shot many deer. thats a fact and it just doesnt make sense to me to start out with a marginal gun that makes it more likely. Not when i have a safe full of guns that GET IT DONE.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-23-2022 at 06:45 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Now, there may be a very good reason he hunts this way, but I cannot think of it.
    yup just another blowhole with a computer that wants to pretend hes an expert when in fact hes an idiot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast