RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: looking for 1000 yard .45-70 bullet (cast)

Boolit Master

looking for 1000 yard .45-70 bullet (cast)

I would like to do the Quigley Shoot while I can still lift the Sharps. I have the Lyman 125 but don't know if it is heavy enough, 538 gr. I wonder if I need a 600 gr +/- bullet and if so what one. My range at home is 300 yards but have found a place I can go to 1200 yards with a good back stop. Finding the range and back stop is hard in Indiana.

Boolit Master
    Many people shoot 45=70 with bullets in the 500 to 550 grains at 1000yds matches. You do not need a 600 grain bullet.
    In fact if you have a typical rifle with 18 twist barrel, you will get less accuracy for long range with too LONG a bullet.
    I shot the Lyman 457134 Postel bullet, 535 gr from my 45=70 with no problem.
    I shoot 1000yds now with my 16 twist 40-65/371 grain DDEPP bullet. No Problem.
    beltfed/arnie

I use the PGT boolit (LHS) (545gn) for all my long range loads. It has a high BC and minimal wind drift.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    I am also heading to the Q this year and will be using the Lyman 457125 which weighs 523 from my mould and drops at .4585". I shot it out to 400 this past weekend and it was holding about 2-3 moa in gusty 10-15 winds when I did my part, this with smokeless loads. The longest target at the Q is the buffalo at 805 yards. The smallest target at the Q is a bit over 5 moa and as long as you get a clang it counts. I have never shot at the Q but I suspect the biggest thing is going to be doping the wind, which could blowing from several different directions from the firing line to the target. Combined with blowing dust, mirage, ect. is going to make it a challenge. All for fun though and that is the main thing.

Boolit Master
    How much does your Sharps weigh?
    A 600 grain boolit loaded for 800 yards might add up to a lot of accumulated recoil between now and the match. On the other hand you could load it light and get a taller rear sight. I can shoot a 500 grain boolit over 32 grains of 4198 all day but my rifle weighs over 11 pounds.
    525-535 should be plenty heavy enough to stabilize and be loaded to an effective, reasonable velocity.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 458132 Postel (about 535 grains depending on alloy) will do good at 1000yds from the 45-70
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    @Warren5421, What you hunting with that 45-70 at 1000 yards? Paper or steel.

You might get more responses from the Cast Boolit Section or maybe even the section for, Black powder Cartridge .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Both paper and steel and maybe the long eared thing that thinks he is a horse if he gets out again.

Boolit Master

I had a chance to shoot the Q some years ago. I used a 38-55 with a 320 grn boolit. I had no trouble staying on the buffalo at 800 yds. It was not windy. have fun.