MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Number of shots to down a deer

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd when someone posts something so unbelievalbe.Just remember this https://suchwow.net/about-13-percent...logical-liars/ i think the numbers higher on the internet

Banned

Heck wildwilly this is still one of the better sites on the internet. Ive been on some ar15 sites that will make you spit out your coffee.

Boolit Buddy
    There are some amazing stories on the internet.Big difference between internet hunting and real hunting.

Boolit Master

When I shoot a deer if it runs I shoot it again until it falls or is out of sight. Where I hunt it is thick and I know the background as in hill side.

Why watch it run away?

Banned

Ive shot deer a second time in the fields doing crop damage shooting. But in normal deer season we hunt out of blinds and you only have a window to shoot out of and its pretty much all thick woods and swamps. In my over 50 years of deer hunting like that have only got a second shot off once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    There are some amazing stories on the internet.Big difference between internet hunting and real hunting.
    yes sir!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    When I shoot a deer if it runs I shoot it again until it falls or is out of sight. Where I hunt it is thick and I know the background as in hill side.

Why watch it run away?
    I'm in the same camp. I've thought about it, and I can not come up with one reason not to take another shot if you can. As Lloyd says, you don't always get the chance, but when I do, I shoot twice. Besides the brush, I believe the other part is that our deer are accustomed to shooting. I could be wrong, but I recall Lloyd hunts northern MI. I've done most of my hunting in central MN, and there is not a day that goes by without deer there hearing many shots all day. Often at night too. These deer do not associate shooting with danger, so they don't run from it. I've shot 2 deer a minute apart with a muzzleloader if that says anything.

Think I'll stick with my 3/8" wide pieces of wheel weights. If I need to kill a deer that is. Used #375296, a compressed charge of 760 and a CCI-250 primer in necked down 45-70 cases. Been a few years but evolution is slower than I am so I'm pretty sure the deer haven't changed much. Hmm, but I do have that 320 grain hollow point mold that I never did try out.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone really believe this person was losing lung/heart shot deer because he wasn’t using enough gun? I’ll call BS on that any day.
    My first thought is, "How did he know he hit the deer with a lung/heart shot if he didn't recover the deer?"

My second thought is that every deer I have killed with a heart and/or lung shot took off on a dead run. If one doesn't have a good idea where to start looking, you might have a problem picking up the start of the blood trail. What I have seen with such a shot is that it starts with a drop or two, and every bound the blood trail gets exponentially easier to see until it looks like somebody spray painted the trail right before a piled up deer. The trick is to keep an eye on where the deer was hit. That would not be too much of a problem if the deer is standing by the big oak tree 40 yards away, but it can be if you shot it halfway across the cornfield, where every row looks alike. So if a guy doesn't mark the location of the deer last seen and is not somewhat capable of looking for blood, a guy could lose a heart/lung shot deer.

Boolit Master
    The last deer I killed was 600 yards on a dead run...

...the deer was moving pretty fast as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    The last deer I killed was 600 yards on a dead run...

...the deer was moving pretty fast as well.
    I'm indeed impressed. Even when I was young I would have had a tuff time doing that at half the distance!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    My first thought is, "How did he know he hit the deer with a lung/heart shot if he didn't recover the deer?"

My second thought is that every deer I have killed with a heart and/or lung shot took off on a dead run. If one doesn't have a good idea where to start looking, you might have a problem picking up the start of the blood trail. What I have seen with such a shot is that it starts with a drop or two, and every bound the blood trail gets exponentially easier to see until it looks like somebody spray painted the trail right before a piled up deer. The trick is to keep an eye on where the deer was hit. That would not be too much of a problem if the deer is standing by the big oak tree 40 yards away, but it can be if you shot it halfway across the cornfield, where every row looks alike. So if a guy doesn't mark the location of the deer last seen and is not somewhat capable of looking for blood, a guy could lose a heart/lung shot deer.
    dont know how many deer i tracked at camp shot by my brother in law and nephews that made the claim i hit it right behind the shoulder and found them gut shot. Worse one was dads first year bow hunting. He came into camp and said he wounded a deer. Said he hit it right behind the shoulder and with a bow its possible to know that. I went looking with him and my brother in law. We found one drop of blood and luckily did have some snow on the ground. But there were tracks everywhere so it was tough following that one track. We found the deer about 200 yards into the swamp with an arrow stuck right in its skull!!! Had a nephew once came in from the woods from bow hunting and he said he shot a nice buck and hit it right behind the shoulder. We searched for almost 12 hours and never found a drop of blood. Ended up back at his blind and i looked up and there was a tree right in front of his blind he kind of used for cover. Low and behold there was an arrow stuck in it about 3 feet from the bottom of his tree blind.

Boolit Master
    I just use my vehicle, they're all one hit, right dead, right there,sometimes theres even something left to eat.
    Last edited by brass410; 02-01-2022 at 02:37 PM. Reason: grammer

Boolit Master
    I remember walking out from a morning hunt with a younger brother , when we walked out into a small field a good size doe stood 40-50 yards out . I swung up my pump shotgun and shot her in the chest - down she went , but then she got her front legs under herself so I shot her again - deg-gon if she don't try to get up again so I gave her the third slug . Not realizing I was loading a couple rounds in my pumpgun , my brother said how many times are you planning on shooting that deer !
    I don't like tracking wounded game.

From the 80s to '07 when we had property in the Hill Country, the deer were like a second herd in the ranch lands there.
    It was in 'low fence' country and I didn't even call it hunting. We just went down there during deer season to shoot a few.
    There was never any excuse for taking a poor shot, or even one on a walking deer.

Only a couple of shots were over 100 yards, and then- not by much.
    I'd let them walk by, and wait until one was standing stock still, then take a head shot with no brush or anything in between.
    I never had to track one of them more than a second step.

One time I was shooting down a steep hill at about 110 yards with a .30-06. That deer took off so fast, I think I heard a sonic boom.
    I looked for it just in case for a couple hours---- nothing. I figured it was a clean miss.

The next year, I shot another one a little closer, and it went down, and stayed down.
    When dressing it out---- it had a scared .30cal. hole just above the base of its ear.

Back in my 7Mag days, I took it down there because I hadn't killed anything with it yet.
    A eight point-- biggest one I'd seen down there walked by, turned, and stood looking at me so close the scope wouldn't quite focus.
    I shot it in 'the boiler room'. It went down, got up, and ran about 30-40 yards before it ran out of gas.

I had another one go about 25 yards after being tagged with a 405FP from the .45-70.
    I don't see how it ran that far. The wound channel looked like a basket ball went through there.

That's my tracking experiences.
    But I never took any long range, difficult, or 'fancy' shots either.
    I also fired a few hundred rounds a year at the range with the rifles I took to go shoot deer with.
    And, the smallest one I ever took was my M1A with .308 loads of J-words.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

A young kid I know shot an antelope, it got up so he shot it again. It got up a third time and went down hard. When he went over there there were three dead antelope which was more than they had tags for.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Have not killed that many. But one shot did the trick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I just use my vehicle, they're all one hit, right dead, right there,sometimes theres even something left to eat.
    ive killed a few with that weapon myself

I’ve never killed a deer with a Dodge. But I’ve gotten several with a Chevy, Ford, Olds and Jeep. Some were DRT. Some ran off. I have never tried for a second shoot at those. I remember the Olds and Jeep were pretty deadly. No problem this year, deer really disappeared. But turkeys are another story, lots!
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    I’ve never killed a deer with a Dodge. But I’ve gotten several with a Chevy, Ford, Olds and Jeep. Some were DRT. Some ran off. I have never tried for a second shoot at those. I remember the Olds and Jeep were pretty deadly. No problem this year, deer really disappeared. But turkeys are another story, lots!
    Yeah ,turkeys are really bad news for grilles hoods windshield pretty much anythin on the front of your vehicle I've seen some vehicles with the door pillers bent down from turkey strkes pretty much totaled the vehicle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast