Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Win vs 30-30 WCF

Boolit Master
    Texas By God - I am with you on this.
    If 7.62x51 NATO=308 Winchester then 7.62x51R should be 307 Winchester.

And with standard 30 WCF brass being 51.8mm ....well the Vulcan in me says logic dictates that 7.62x52R should = 30 WCF (the evidence presented by bringing up the 25-35 = 6.5x52R should also be brought to the table - yep I am aware that the 2 cartridges could be argued that they are not precisely the same).

Now, if you will excuse me - I need to get to loading up some 7.62x52R for my 1894's and 325.

Portion redacted.
    Last edited by cwtebay; 01-23-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Now to OP yes the 30 WCF, is just another reference to what is know today as the 30-30, and also known in the metric portion of the world as the 7.62x51R.

Laus Deo, Screwbolts/Ken Hall
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 01-24-2022 at 09:19 AM. Reason: removed unneeded text.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i killed alot of deer with the 30-30. i put her (1972 win m94) away in my safe for years. three years ago i sent it to JES and he did a 35/30-30 and my love affair began again.

sighting it in
    Now here is an idea!

I have an old (1901) takedown 94,re-blued so not real antique. No fire lapping made that barrel reasonable to shoot any bullets. Too much to clean. Re-boring / re-lining to 358 never occured to me.

I'll call a reputable barrel maker about this. Thanks!

Boolit Master

1R or 2R who cares. Americans do not get the metric system. Thats what we argue about now?

Boolit Master

Does not matter what anyone here thinks the metric designation of the 30-30 should be, that was determined many years ago in Europe.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Holy crap, I didn't even realize that I mangled your forum handle until you pointed it out- Screwbolts. And I apologize for that part of my post. But as for all the metric pontificating- I will do as I please.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Redacted this because I didn't like my own words.
    Apologies to all.
    Last edited by cwtebay; 01-23-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Recanted

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Texas by God, thank you.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Americans do not get the metric system.
    I refuse to convert!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    Hey everyone, I recently acquired a Winchester 94 in 30-30 (stamped 30-30 win) I ordered a RCBS 2 die set and the sticker says 30-30 WCF. From my research it appears to be the same cartridge diameters. Just looking for you guys to give a second opinion. I just don’t want to shove a piece of brass up there and get it stuck. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order a copy of "Cartridges Of The World" and become an expert on cartridge names , nomenclature and history overnight ... well maybey not an expert but the confusing names and history of cartridges is explained and helped me a lot in getting this confounding and complicated subject straight .
    In fact ...after Loading Manuals ... COTW is my most used reference book and solved a lot of confusion ... would you believe there are 19 different 9mm cartridges and a few have 3 different names . It's a very interesting book to have on hand . The 16th Edition is $24.23 at Amazon , it isn't an expensive book to own ...
    I need to order myself a new one , mine is 7th Edition (1993)...wow that's old !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

CIP - The European Equivalent of SAAMI, calls it 30-30.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-30-cip.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	296767

Bruce

Boolit Master

Who cares what other people call it, I don't. My Marlin thutty-thutty loves me and I love it and no one else matters. I refuse to convert to the metric system. james

Unless you're from here in Michigan, the Yoopers call it a Turtie-Turtie.

At least that what it sounds like to an old troll's* hearing. Or what's left of it after a lifetime of hearing abuse**.

*troll, people who live under the bridge

** hearing abuse, 55+ years of guns, 55+ years of motorcycles, 35+ years of going in and out of factories in 33 states, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, China and 40+ years of using farm equipment.

Speak louder, I can't hear you...........
    Last edited by 15meter; 02-26-2022 at 10:38 AM.

Boolit Master

huh

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Who cares what other people call it, I don't. My Marlin thutty-thutty loves me and I love it and no one else matters. I refuse to convert to the metric system. james
    Don't you own an 8x57 Mauser?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I just read through the whole thread. The 30-30 Winchester = 30-30 WCF is an easy one: It's the same cartridge. What really becomes confusing is the comparison between American and metric cartridge designations. Sometimes the same exact cartridge will have different designations depending upon which side of the pond your on. Other times two completely different cartridges will have similar designations. When I read through the thread, what caught my eye was that the 6.5x52R is the same as the 25-35 WCF. (I already knew that) Both of these cartridges are based on the same basic case as the 30-30. But, the 6.5x52 is the Carcano cartridge. This is a completely different cartridge; the only difference in the name is an "R". Thank goodness I don't get my 7x57 Mauser cartridges mixed up with some 275 Rigby, because they look so much alike. It can be confusing sometimes because having names in both English and metric can be a real tower of babble.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    Hey everyone, I recently acquired a Winchester 94 in 30-30 (stamped 30-30 win) I ordered a RCBS 2 die set and the sticker says 30-30 WCF. From my research it appears to be the same cartridge diameters. Just looking for you guys to give a second opinion. I just don’t want to shove a piece of brass up there and get it stuck. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if you GOOGLED it you would have found out the answer.

Boolit Master

cwtebay, I have owned and shot several 8x57mm mausers in my long shooting career. However at the present time I do not own a single mauser, sold them all off and don't plan on buying another. The prices these days are far more than I intend to pay for a used military rifle. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    cwtebay, I have owned and shot several 8x57mm mausers in my long shooting career. However at the present time I do not own a single mauser, sold them all off and don't plan on buying another. The prices these days are far more than I intend to pay for a used military rifle. james
    Sorry man, I was ribbing you about your metric system comment.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yeah, well, I am getting older and things go right over my head sometimes and you comment just did not register. I have been slowly downsizing some and the mausers were the first to go. Take Care, james

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast