RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Case question for 45-70

Boolit Man

Case question for 45-70

Not sure what forum to put this question in...see picture

I am cleaning up my old 45-70 brass and ran across some that have a distinct band running around the brass case, does anyone know why this is?

I also have some cases that after running through the tumbler are still stained/discolored, while I'm not fanatical about my brass, I would like to clean them up as best as possible...any tips for removing the discoloration?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220117_145035.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

The band is a channelure (SP) it was rolled in at where the base of the bullet was to keep it from pushing back into the case feeding or in lever actions the recoil and magazine spring tension.

As to the staining it is hard to remove once it is in the metal with out removing material

Boolit Man
    will the cannelure cause issues with reloading?

Boolit Master
    no it won't
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Other than appearance, stains are no big deal.
    One time I got 5,000 .45ACP brass for $5. a thousand because they were stained from water or something
    so bad the fella couldn't sell them at the $30-40 or so dollars per 1,000 market price at the time.

I ran a bunch for several days in a tumbler, and it didn't come out.
    Like a tattoo--- it didn't wash off.
    I don't know how many times I've loaded some of them but 20-odd years later, they're all still on the job.

Just watch for corrosion pitting. It can be a problematic.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Cannelures are rolled onto cases after the projectile is loaded to help ensure the bullet doesn't slide deeper into the case during recoil. It can eliminate the need for a heavy roll crimp - or can augment a light crimp. They tend to get ironed out the first time the shell is fired.

Boolit Buddy
    I clean all my cases with steel wool. Never cleaned any that were that stained, but maybe worth a shot? I just hold about a 2" piece of it and twist the cases between my fingers.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The top case is showing metal precipitation. Some strong cleaner was probably used at one time, like vinegar, causing the separation of the alloys in the brass. Trash it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The top case is showing metal precipitation. Some strong cleaner was probably used at one time, like vinegar, causing the separation of the alloys in the brass. Trash it.
    Seriously? Well, poop..45-70 brass is hard to come by around here. There are quite a few cases that show dots and spots of tarnish. I'm pretty sure they were at one time loaded with black powder, but I cant verify that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bnt55 View Post
    Seriously? Well, poop..45-70 brass is hard to come by around here. There are quite a few cases that show dots and spots of tarnish. I'm pretty sure they were at one time loaded with black powder, but I cant verify that.
    Inspect it carefully and if there is no pitting into the case material ... keep it .
    I'm a believer on NOT tossing out brass just because it is stained , discolored or even lightly corroded .
    Brass is to hard to come by and I trash only if there is a structural defect or ...the primer pocket has enlarged to the point that primers keep falling out ... then it's time to drill them out and use for wax boolit loads !!!
    Gary ...
    don't trash brass
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"