MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone built a Jim Kibler flint kit gun

Boolit Master

Anyone built a Jim Kibler flint kit gun

https://kiblerslongrifles.com

I am looking at a SOUTHERN MOUNTAIN RIFLE KIT sold by Jim Kibler. Styling is from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina. I was wondering just how close the inletting is on putting it together. I remember the kits from the 70's and don't want to spend a $1000 on junk for me. Would like to talk to someone that has bought and assembled one of the kits.

It's just about a snap together kit. You lightly clean out a miniscule bit of wood in the corners is all. Even all the pin holes are drilles as weel as the screw/bolt holes. It's so easy it's ridiculous.

Boolit Buddy
    While I haven't assembled one personally, I do have a friend who is a builder for those who don't want to do the work so I've seen more than one kit both in as delivered and finished. They have top quality locks and furniture. The stock is very nearly completely finished as far as inletting. All that is required there is a bit of cleanup, a little bit of light sanding and then finish. So do they shoot? I think so-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kibler.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	294710
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Boolit Buddy
    I built a Colonial 58 caliber. Very easy, top quality components and accurate. You can't go wrong with one of their kits.

Don

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I know Jim,
    He makes a nice component kit! If you can build it you will like it
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I haven't got around to buying a kit from Killer "Yet "
    But it is next on my list after I finish the Lyman and Pedersoli kits that I already bought.
    I want the Kilber kit because You can Upgrade the wood when you order it.
    I want Extra Fancy Maple.
    Price wise,
    The Kilber is very reasonable for what you get.
    I wish they would come out with a "Hawken " style kit.
    Only because I prefer that style of rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Oh yes!!! A Hawken with the .45 cal option!

Back to the OP.... Good luck on your build!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Jim,
    is a PA Longrifle man!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I haven't got around to buying a kit from Killer "Yet "
    But it is next on my list after I finish the Lyman and Pedersoli kits that I already bought.
    I want the Kilber kit because You can Upgrade the wood when you order it.
    I want Extra Fancy Maple.
    Price wise,
    The Kilber is very reasonable for what you get.
    Jim Kibler is on the American Longrifle Forum. Recently he was on there discussing the next type of kits coming out. According to that thread, the Hawkens in #3 in line of new models coming out.
    https://americanlongrifles.org/forum...topic=69521.25

Boolit Grand Master

I have put together one of his Colonial's in 58 cal. with swamped barrel. VERY WELL MADE KIT! There is a minimal amount of fitting left to be done. That being said there are still enough areas to personalize the rifle if you choose to.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    https://kiblerslongrifles.com

I am looking at a SOUTHERN MOUNTAIN RIFLE KIT sold by Jim Kibler. Styling is from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina. I was wondering just how close the inletting is on putting it together. I remember the kits from the 70's and don't want to spend a $1000 on junk for me. Would like to talk to someone that has bought and assembled one of the kits.
    If I could do it anyone can , great kit /great service/great people what else needs sayin/Ed

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I handled one at the club shoot a couple weeks ago. I wish the barrel had a ore pronounced swamp, as it seems like a rather heavy rifle. But then again, I'm getting older, and every rifle feels heavy now.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I handled one at the club shoot a couple weeks ago. I wish the barrel had a ore pronounced swamp, as it seems like a rather heavy rifle. But then again, I'm getting older, and every rifle feels heavy now.
    The .58's handle nice. All the smaller bores are heavy.

Boolit Bub
    Kibler has done is right with his kits. I put together a .58 Colonial rifle and for what you are paying for it's a "great kit". There has been rumors out there since December 2020 that Jim is looking at putting out a Hawken kit. Will be interesting on what he does, but no doubt the man is very busy with putting out these two kits along with the CNC locks he is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmtkVaY_zY

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Footman View Post
    Kibler has done is right with his kits. I put together a .58 Colonial rifle and for what you are paying for it's a "great kit". There has been rumors out there since December 2020 that Jim is looking at putting out a Hawken kit. Will be interesting on what he does, but no doubt the man is very busy with putting out these two kits along with the CNC locks he is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmtkVaY_zY
    If the rumor on the Hawken come to fruition I will be ordering one.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I’m eyeballing one of these kits but I’m going to have to reach out to him first. I would hate to buy a southern mountain rifle and have to buy a Hawken if he released one.

By hate I mean love but realistically I only need one. I’m not much of a muzzleloader guy to begin with but I would love any one of his kits.

Boolit Master
    If you buy your first muzzleloader , then you will be hooked.
    Especially if you buy something as good as a Kilber Kit first.

Boolit Master

I have had a couple TC rifles and still have a 56 smoothbore.
    I tend to shoot my pretty guns more and these are about as pretty as they get.

As mentioned, you get one muzzle loader, another won't be far behind. Right now, I only have six in the safe and I am really trying to find an affordable wheellock.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.