Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time for a 30-06

Boolit Master
    Bought my first '06 right after I got out of the navy in '67. Have 5 of them now. chopped 1917 Enfield, sporterized 1903A3, M1 Garand (naturally) Sako 75 hunter which is no longer made and post '64 Winchester match rifle. Wouldn't be without a '06. Frank

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was a 30-06 remington 742. A single shot.

Boolit Master

Having suffered with magnum-itus in my younger years. My favorite sporting 30/06 is strangely a JC Penny’s Foremost which is actually a UK manufactured Parker Hale. My Sears Model 50 is a close second.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    My first rifle was a 30-06 remington 742. A single shot.
    Yup! There are a blue million 742 single shots out there. I have one in my shop now. The forend screw is so rusted that I can't remove it. Soaking in Kroil now for the weekend.

Boolit Master
    PTCSmith I am glad someone else understands.

In order of ownership, my 30-06 history started with a Westernfield ( Heym) Mauser with a Mannlicher stock, then a Savage 110 laminated - from when they made ONLY 110s, then a Remington 721, then a Remington 760, then a Century FrankenGarand, then a Remington 700 ADL. I think I sold all of them to Colorado ranch buddies. In 1999 I killed a spike elk at 300 paces with one Speer 200gr HotCor. Now I'll explore the milder side of the old 06. I've used its awesome little brother the 25-06 to great effect on deer and hogs.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    PTCSmith I am glad someone else understands.
    742 is the original "Jamamatic".

Winter is here for a few days, so I started studying this project. I have stripped the T3 down to a barreled receiver only. I may have to build a new action wrench if my old home made one isn't adaptable to the hex shape of the T3.

You will have a nice gun when you're all done for sure. Good components to start always helps.
    Winter has set in here also. -41f this morning on the way to work.

Boolit Master
    Seems that Browning could make a semi-auto rifle, and they are sweet. I have no experience but have heard that the H&R and the Winchester 100 were both excellent rifles

The 30-06 barrel is on and now I need to file down the bolt stop for the longer cartridge. My 25-06 T3 provides the pattern to go by.

Last edited by Texas by God; 02-05-2022 at 06:52 PM.

All done. I was fortunate that when the barrel was tightened,the headspace was correct and the caliber marking is visible.( upside down- I don't care)It is funny that the new barrel with the first three 165gr test loads- combined with the old K4 on the old receiver- hits point of aim at 40yds- just like the former 22-250 barrel did.
    Yes, with 180gr factory loads- it kicks pretty well. The "recoil pad" is no softer than my boot heel, so I'll use the slip on pad for that silliness but mostly shoot cast. And I'll put the old K10 on it for load development.
    I've got plans for the old barrel.....

The first outing with cast went well. Just 40 yds, I adjusted the windage after the first 3 shots. 13 grs Red Dot with pc'd C309150F Lees.

It was windy today but I managed to keep my 3 shot groups under 2" at 100yds with the cast loads. 3 shots in 3/4""with 110gr V-max and three in 1" with Sierra 175gr.
    I'm glad that I sprung for a Limbsaver airtech recoil pad for those normal "06 power" loads.

Last edited by Texas by God; 03-22-2022 at 08:38 PM.

It looks like this project turned out well. The two cast bullet loads and results are interesting. Seems as though every rifle has it's individual preferences, but both are good considering the different distances.

I have several '06 sporters, but haven't laid eyes on them for a while. There was a time that 8-10 lb. '06 sporters were what was "in", and I thought them great until I swapped carrying them for a '94 Win. .30-30. Made a big difference climbing hills....

DG

Thanks, DG! This one is lightweight. Even with the needed recoil pad and steel 10x Weaver. For hunting I'll put a 6x or 3x9 on lt and it will be around 7 pounds. I never shot cast in my previous ought sixes so this is fun.
    Maybe some day I'll restock it with wood. But for now the synthetic factory stock is fine.

Last fall I ran into a rifle I had to buy. It’s a near mint Sears M 53 which is a Winchester M 70 in 30-06.
    I have seen these with hardwood stocks but this one has a walnut stock and had a vintage Weaver V 9 scope on it for under $ 300. The scope looked great on the rifle but was not quite bright enough for me with my changing eyesight so I sold it and it fetched me $ 100 on eBay.
    I ended up putting a fixed 4 x scope on it and the first time out killed a small whitetail buck with it !
    So even though I didn’t need another 06 I had to buy it and am very pleased with it . I also have a single shot and a O/U 12 ga. / 30-06 combination gun that are great guns in 06 and work for anything I want to hunt for.

Jedman

Those store brand rifles are frequently great deals. One of my old 30-06 rifles was a mannlicher stocked Westernfield ( Montgomery Wards) Mauser that was actually made by Heym in Germany.
    I was thinking the other day; "With this 30-06 and handloads- I don't really need my 30-30 or 30-40 Krag."
    I've got to call the doctor and get my meds changed!

Boolit Master
    two of the prettiest girls in my cabinet are my P17 custom (wieghs 10-1/2 lbs almost no bump with 220s) and my cz 550 cant even fathom being without an ought six its just wrong!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast