RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: 6.5 x 55 and 4831

6.5 x 55 and 4831

I am wanting to try something. I have 6.5 boolits cast up that weigh 159+ grains ready to load. They are sized. 266 for use in a Ruger 77.

Wanting to break 2000 fps with a fast twist I feel that a slow powder is the way to go. I have data for 160 grain j word boolits using 4831.

I'm thinking of rounding up the starting j word load and trying it with my boolits. Am I asking for trouble here? Logically it makes sense but I know that powder and pressures don't always behave logically.

Any input appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    You should be in safe territory. Start with the starting load and look for an accuracy node. If you have any other slower powders they may prove better suited to what you want to do.
    USMC 6638

Tried it. It sucked. Lesson learned.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

4831 is still on the fast side. WC872 is more like it.
    I was not able to break 2000 fps with any kind of accuracy in my '96 Mauser until I started paper patching the bullets, now equaling the military load ballistics is easy with the PP bullets and some REALLY slow powder.

Boolit Master
    I would think a J load would be too hot for a boolet....at least 10 gr less for r 30-06 with 4895 so same proportion here? Dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I would think a J load would be too hot for a boolet....at least 10 gr less for r 30-06 with 4895 so same proportion here? Dunno
    Not if they are paper patched. Trying that without the patch was kind of comical, those long skinny boolets were breaking in half from the very fast twist of the '96. Apparently the nose started rotating before the base could catch up. It took a while before I figured out why I was getting two strikes for every shot and they weren't very close together. That's using the "cruise missile" 170 grain Lee bullet.

I do have some 8700 around here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Starting loads for 4831 with jacketed bullets in the 6.5x55 are still too fast for cast bullets in the fast twists of the Swede. You might want to back it down a bit and use a dacron filler if the load density is under 80%.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

1600 FPS is about the sweet spot for cast bullets in the Swede. 25 BNH bullets (water hardened) and Rx7 or 5744 lets me shoot about 1.5 MOA at 100 and 200 yards. With 160 (+/-) grain boolits.

4831 way too slow IMHO. garrisonjoe