Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GC Mold Won't Accept Check

Boolit Master

GC Mold Won't Accept Check

I've got a MP .327 Single 7 Mjoinir(?) mold from a GB quite awhile back. I've ignored it up to now due to other projects. Finally cast up a few along with a similar, but not the same, Accurate mold. The MP molded boolits won't seat a gas check. The Accurate boolits fit fine.

I think if I was able to expand the check slightly, I could get them to seat. Anyone have any recommendation how to best do this? None of the various tools I've got around the shop are of a size to expand a .30 caliber check.
    John
    W.TN

Noe makes a tool to expand the checks. They also make a tool for seating gas checks. I have an mp sledgehammer mold that takes gas checks. The checks are very tight, but I use the Noe seating tool to seat them. It works fine without the added step of expanding the checks.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

I'll check NOE. Without some kind of tool, I can't get them to seat evenly. My next move before I get a tool is to try to use the sizer with the top punch that came with the mold to keep every thing lined up. Never tried that before but nothing to lose.
    John
    W.TN

The Noe seating tool works very well. I messed with this for a very long time. You can still put one on crooked, but if you give it a go, I am sure you will be happy. Good luck!

Boolit Master

Wheelguns 1961: Is the NOE check seater a universal tool? In other words does it work for all sizes? The .30 caliber expander is "out of stock" on the NOE website so I thought I would at least order the seater tool.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

You can but a cheap metal imported punch and cut it to the diameter you want. You can anneal checks too. I had a mold that wouldn't take checks and Redding/Saeco told me to return it with checks from three different lots I had used. They recut the same mold and it works well. I learned a lot when they asked for three lots and a copy of the end boxes with the lot number on them. Not all checks are uniform.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Wheelguns 1961: Is the NOE check seater a universal tool? In other words does it work for all sizes? The .30 caliber expander is "out of stock" on the NOE website so I thought I would at least order the seater tool.
    You need one for each caliber boolit. You might try calling Swede sometimes they have not updated the web site but have them in stock.

^^This info was in relation to the check expander.^^

The body part of the seater uses a top punch but the base is the same as a Lee sizer rod, any of those bigger diameter the the boolit will work.
    Last edited by Minerat; 02-02-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Fixed bogus info.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Yes, the only thing more that you will need is your top punch. You screw the die into your press, and insert your top punch. Then, you use the appropriate push rod and it is ready.

Boolit Master

Have the same problem on 2 MP 32 cal molds also. Threw a check expander in my next order from NOE and problem solved. I'd like to try Gator checks but I have 3 boxes of Hornady checks to burn up first.

Boolit Master

I made a GC expander by super gluing a 3/8" diameter ball bearing in the mouth of an unused lee expander die, installed in a SS press with a flat piece of
    1/8" thick by 1" square steel laying on top of the ram, had scribe lines across corners to mark center. lay a GC on plate raise ram install modified die with the lee
    "O" ring type lock ring until touching GC, screw the lock ring down until "O" ring touches, fine adjust for amount of GC flair from there, make sure the GC is centered
    under the bearing otherwise you will have flair on one side and not all around.
    That 3/8" bearing is just the right size to expand 30 down to 6.5 cal GC's
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Tried the solution I proposed in Post #3. Didn't work very well. Will call NOE tomorrow and get something coming my way. I like the looks of the boolit that the mold kicks out too much to put it back on the shelf.

If I keep having trouble I may have to get off dead center and start powder coat w/o check. Not sure how well that would work. Have been thinking about PC anyway to get size up to .315 to match throats on the Single 7.
    John
    W.TN

What kind of gas checks are you using? I have been using gators. They are tight, but I can still get them on with the seating die. I am powdercoating before installing the checks. This probably makes it more difficult, but it is working. I make it a habit with gas check molds to cast a few to measure, before ordering the checks, but I don’t think it matters with 30 cal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Have the same problem on 2 MP 32 cal molds also. Threw a check expander in my next order from NOE and problem solved. I'd like to try Gator checks but I have 3 boxes of Hornady checks to burn up first.
    I wonder if the gas check is my problem. I've been going by the fact that my cylinder throats are .315 which is a couple of thousandths over normal for the .327 Federal. I just assumed that it was close to .30 cal checks. The only thing I see close to .32 Cal is 8mm checks. I don't think that 8mm checks would work. I don't have any anyway.

BTW, all my checks are Gator checks.
    John
    W.TN

You need 30 cal checks. I think the problem has something to do with the fact that the 30 cal checks are designed for .311” bullets. That is just a guess. It is possible that Miha just has the measurement off a little, but they will work with the seating die.

Boolit Buddy
    For years, I've used a carriage bolt to slightly flare gas checks. Just a slight tap with a hammer usually suffices.

Boolit Grand Master

I found a slick solution for sizing the shanks of 30 caliber bullets. I made it specifically for a NOE mold, but it will work on any .284" shank bullet, which is what you have. It's nothing but a Lee collet crimp die for a 243 WSSM, but it is likely you could use any 243/6mm collet crimp die. I don't remember why I chose that one specifically, probably because it was shortest. All you do is cut the top of the die off with a grinder to make it easier to see. You now have an adjustable shank sizer. It works slick as snot. Set the bullet on there, pull the handle, done. I was never impressed with the NOE gas check expander, which is slow and painful. That's even a 143gr HP bullet for a 327 federal in the picture. They do take 30 caliber checks, and are supposed to be a .284"-.285" shank. I size to .314", and find the .017" 30 cal Sage's checks work best.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-08-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I only use 30 caliber gas checks and have Hornady and Gator. For my Lyman 311407 bullet, the Gator is hard to put on and the Hornady is easier. I don't feel that either check is better than the other but in my case, the Hornady works better but not by a lot.

Boolit Grand Master

Have any large ball bearings? Something half inch or larger set in the check and given a tap should do the deed.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    It is quite likely that you could take a 5/16 bolt and cut the threads off and then spin it on a drill with a file and not much would be needed to take off before you would get it right. Look closely at what you think is necessary as far as angles and so forth might matter. When you get close, change over to a piece of flat wood with very fine sandpaper (maybe 400 grit) in front of it and if you mess up and make it too small, cut what you just did off and do it again. I assumed that you don't have access to a lathe which would make it easier. You might only need an angle and that might work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    It is quite likely that you could take a 5/16 bolt and cut the threads off and then spin it on a drill with a file and not much would be needed to take off before you would get it right. Look closely at what you think is necessary as far as angles and so forth might matter. When you get close, change over to a piece of flat wood with very fine sandpaper (maybe 400 grit) in front of it and if you mess up and make it too small, cut what you just did off and do it again. I assumed that you don't have access to a lathe which would make it easier. You might only need an angle and that might work.
    I'll try this. At least it won't cost anything. I've got lots of 5/16 bolts. You're right, I don't have a lathe. I wanted one at one time. Then I got too old to want to learn how to operate even if I found a suitable lathe.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast