Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gen 5 Glock sighting in.

Boolit Master

What model? Factory adjustable sights?

I have bought about a dozen or so Glocks over the years and only one needed any sight adjustment at all.

Ignore the ignorant Glock haters; worthless drivel. Might want to go to GlockTalk.com and ask there. They will likely refer you to trying to get used to the trigger pull or grip. There is a chart.

The trigger pull is 5.5 lbs. Same amount that my new 1911 came with. Only difference is that if I want to lighten the Glock trigger and smooth it out, it costs me $20 and 30 minutes with some polishing compound rather than $200 and months at a gunsmith.

A pistol that far off at 15 yards is either seriously screwed up, or the trigger puller is.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Only one of many Glocks I have/or have owned needed sight work. My G20 10 mm was shooting 4 inches high @ 25 yards, sandbagged and off handed, 180 gr load @ 1200 fps. Ordered a lower Glock 6.1mm rear sight, replaced the higher rear sight, and put the impact right where I wanted it. I have been fortunate that all my other Glocks have shot at/or close to point-of-aim for me and my loads.

I agree with Idaho45guy, the fellows on the Glock site may have some incite to your problem.

When it comes to people not liking Glocks,...

I could show someone a pure gold bar, right out of Fort Knox,....and someone would tell me it was too heavy, too big, and not the correct color!.....a worthless piece of junk!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I have a gen 1 g17. For the life of me I couldn’t hit what I was aiming at. It was mostly me, at that time I shot left handed and I’m right eye dominate. My mentor was a Glock armorer and put the adjustable rear sight on and adjusted the sight for me. Later he got me to shoot right handed and readjusted the sight and as long as I do my part it’s right on target. When I learned to not try to see where the boolit was going and watch the front sight through the shot I shot so much better.

Boolit Master
    Didn't mean to hit send....will finish later
    Last edited by cwtebay; 01-26-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Only one of many Glocks I have/or have owned needed sight work. My G20 10 mm was shooting 4 inches high @ 25 yards, sandbagged and off handed, 180 gr load @ 1200 fps. Ordered a lower Glock 6.1mm rear sight, replaced the higher rear sight, and put the impact right where I wanted it. I have been fortunate that all my other Glocks have shot at/or close to point-of-aim for me and my loads.

I agree with Idaho45guy, the fellows on the Glock site may have some incite to your problem.

When it comes to people not liking Glocks,...

I could show someone a pure gold bar, right out of Fort Knox,....and someone would tell me it was too heavy, too big, and not the correct color!.....a worthless piece of junk!!!
    Yep. There are guns that don't fit everyone, or have odd triggers, or have something that some folks just don't like.

But when it comes to Glocks, you'd think some of these people were inappropriately touched by one due to the inane lengths they go to in posting that they hate them.

I don't understand it. It's just a pistol. It didn't take your sister too far on a date. Get over it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep. There are guns that don't fit everyone, or have odd triggers, or have something that some folks just don't like.

But when it comes to Glocks, you'd think some of these people were inappropriately touched by one due to the inane lengths they go to in posting that they hate them.

I don't understand it. It's just a pistol. It didn't take your sister too far on a date. Get over it.

Then there are those who go overboard to defend them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Then there are those who go overboard to defend them.
    Agreed. Glock fan boys are as annoying as the haters. Glocks have an amazing reputation because they are extremely reliable, durable, and reasonably accurate. But there are many polymer pistols out there that have better triggers, sights, ergonomics, and are just as reliable. Glocks are the number one pistol for law enforcement because of their LE sales tactics and not because they are the best pistol.

I have 5 Glocks because I got into GSSF matches and enjoy the fun. Three of my Glocks were bought mostly for matches, one for woods carry, and one for defensive carry.

I have 9 other pistols from Ruger, Colt, Remington, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, S&W, Uberti, and Taurus.

I like most guns and can find some good in most of them.

But people who bash an entire brand due to subjective things like how they fit their hand and how they look annoy the heck out of me.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I only like Glocks because they function really well, you can get any part you need instantly from many sources, and there is so much aftermarket support that you can build one any way you want to - even without using a single factory part. It's the small block Chevy of pistols!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    if you plan on keeping it you might consider a barrel from storm lake or Wilson , might change things up a bit

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if you plan on keeping it you might consider a barrel from storm lake or Wilson , might change things up a bit
    Storm Lake is garbage. Bought a barrel from them for my Gen 4 G19 and it increased group sizes 100%. I called them and they said not their problem. Sent it to a gunsmith on this forum who worked on it and sent it back and it was the same.

I've used KKM barrels and they are fine barrels, but no more accurate than factory. I've also used Lone Wolf and it was inaccurate. Sent it back and it was returned dirty with no explanation as to what they did, but it was actually much more accurate after that.

This was several years ago when my eyes were better and a 1" group at 25 yards was the gold standard. Now, it's 2", as that seems about the best I can do.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a Glock guy either, but one came along, and I've kind of had my eye out for a small, reliable semi auto - so I grabbed it. Mine is a G26.5. This is my first black, plastic gun. Been shooting some lubed/cast, but have mostly gone to powder coated. It's an impressive little machine. Reliable and accurate with my Lee 105 SWC's and 124 TLTC's, both powder coated. The 105's are very accurate but I'll get an occasional hiccup with them. The 124's are 100% reliable, but not as accurate.
    Mine had the glow sights added by the original owner. They are nice.

I've heard the warning about shooting cast in a Glock. We brush after every meal.
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 01-29-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Every Glock I have owned has shot to the sights right out of the box. G35, G23, G21sf and G36 The G35 and G21SF got Dawson Sights and were sighted in dead on at 5 yards with the Square Target Dot sitting directly on top of the Front Sight. The G23 got True Glo TFO night sights and shot to the sights after installation by Eyeball. IE; Centered on the slide. They all get nothing but Reloads shot in them.

as far as down range accuracy I put a Burris Fast Fire 3 on the G35 got it dead on at 75 yards, and while using a 1 Shot Pistol Brace I was able to hit,,, 10/10 on Silhouette Chickens at 50 M, 9/10 on Pigs at 100 M, 4/10 on Turkeys at 150M and 6/10 on Rams at 200M!

That proves the accuracy of these guns is not a problem. The 1 Shot Pistol Brace made all the difference in the world !

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464630.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Storm Lake is garbage. Bought a barrel from them for my Gen 4 G19 and it increased group sizes 100%. I called them and they said not their problem. Sent it to a gunsmith on this forum who worked on it and sent it back and it was the same.
    How long ago was this? I bought SL tubes for my 19 and 26 back when they were an independent company. I asked them if they could throat and crown for cast boolits similar to what Doug Guy does and they did both barrels for free with one week turnaround.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How long ago was this? I bought SL tubes for my 19 and 26 back when they were an independent company. I asked them if they could throat and crown for cast boolits similar to what Doug Guy does and they did both barrels for free with one week turnaround.
    It was a couple of years ago, after they were bought out by that evil conglomerate taht bought Remington and ran it into the ground.

It looks like Palmetto State Armory bought Storm Lake recently, so who knows if they are good again.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used KKM barrels and they are fine barrels, but no more accurate than factory. I've also used Lone Wolf and it was inaccurate. Sent it back and it was returned dirty with no explanation as to what they did, but it was actually much more accurate after that.

This was several years ago when my eyes were better and a 1" group at 25 yards was the gold standard. Now, it's 2", as that seems about the best I can do.
    I am very satisfied with a Glock that will average 3” groups at 25 yards off a rest. I doubt 2% of folks could average 3” groups with a match pistol using a two handed hold unless shooting off a bench with a rest. But we do not have bench rests when a pistol is needed for what a Glock is intend for....killing people.

For a combat gun, the accuracy levels you expect are not needed and unachievable by most people.

I have never seen a Glock that could average 2” at 25 yards. I would certainly treasure a Glock that performs at that level.

I never tested the two Clark match guns at 25 yards (only at 50 yards). I expect they would hold 1”. But they are hand fitted and not Tupperware. LOL. To be honest, I could never shoot that well even off a bench, but my mentor had a Ransom rest for load testing.

IMO expecting a drop in barrel for a Glock to shoot 2” groups at 25 yards is unrealistic.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    For a combat gun, the accuracy levels you expect are not needed and unachievable by most people.

I have never seen a Glock that could average 2” at 25 yards.
    Why do you think a 2" average group size at 25 yards with a rest is not needed for a "combat gun"? Is there no conceivable need for self defense at 25 yards? Has there been no incident of self-defense that involves distances at 25 yards?

I regularly achieve excellent group sizes with my Glocks. I have videos of me shooting Glocks and other pistols to achieve these groups. Just because you've never seen an accurate Glock doesn't mean they aren't common.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a Glock hater but I don't care for them much. I had a Gen 1 Glock 21 and it shot quite well and in my job I was assigned a Glock 22 which also shot well enough. The issue I have with them is the gun doesn't fit me well. Both are pointing high and left when I pull up on target and I have to force myself to point in low and right. I never had any malfunctions with either and being used to shooting revolvers DA the triggers weren't a problem. They are good guns, they just don't fit me well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12