WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock sighting in.

Boolit Master

Gen 5 Glock sighting in.

Let me begin with the fact that I am not a Glock guy at all, I personally don't enjoy shooting them - no real specific reason - just not my cuppa.
    I won one in a raffle and just picked it up yesterday. My son and I took it out last evening for a test drive.
    The pistol shot 5" high and 4" left at 15 yards to begin with. I adjusted the sight for vertical to the maximum amount, and drifted for windage until the rear sight is now partially hanging out. It still shoots 3" high and 1-2" to the left.
    We put around 100 rounds through it and used red box federal, white box Winchester and some CCI. I have not slugged the barrel, but cannot imagine that it should be this far off.
    Should I plan on purchasing after market sights? Send it back?
    Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If they are the stock Glock plastic sights I would definitely plan on replacing them. It is an easy job; all you will need is the proper tool to tighten the nut on the new front sight.

That said; I have no idea why yours doesn’t shoot to the sights. How did you adjust the sight to lower the impact?
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when the Glock was introdued years ago. It was touted as the "perfect design".....now it's on "gen 5".........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Elevation: Plenty of combinations available to fix that. The OEM plastic sights are pretty much installed with the assumption they're going to get replaced anyway. Ameriglo and Dawson Precision both offer a wide range of different height front and rear sights that will get you in the game. Glock too, for that matter. Before you try ANY of that, however, try blacking out the white inserts with a dry-erase marker. The white blobs don't do you any favors where a clear sight picture is concerned.

Windage: 99% of all folks new to Glocks chuck their rounds to the support hand side, and a brand new Glock with a trigger connector/trigger bar interface that hasn't worn in yet won't help. Keep that interface lubed per instructions, then make sure your right arm and wrist are locked out and your trigger finger is pulling straight back at your shoulder, not pressing or curling the gun left. Finally, treat your sight picture like you're shooting a DA revolver with the realization that you have to constantly tweak alignment until the shot breaks. I suspect you have a little bit of the "single action" tendency to start looking downrange just before the shot actually breaks, which takes your eyes of the sight picture breaking left.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Glocks are a fine weapon I suppose, just not for me. Had I won it I believe I would have seen what I could trade it for before even shooting it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Elevation: Plenty of combinations available to fix that. The OEM plastic sights are pretty much installed with the assumption they're going to get replaced anyway. Ameriglo and Dawson Precision both offer a wide range of different height front and rear sights that will get you in the game. Glock too, for that matter. Before you try ANY of that, however, try blacking out the white inserts with a dry-erase marker. The white blobs don't do you any favors where a clear sight picture is concerned.

Windage: 99% of all folks new to Glocks chuck their rounds to the support hand side, and a brand new Glock with a trigger connector/trigger bar interface that hasn't worn in yet won't help. Keep that interface lubed per instructions, then make sure your right arm and wrist are locked out and your trigger finger is pulling straight back at your shoulder, not pressing or curling the gun left. Finally, treat your sight picture like you're shooting a DA revolver with the realization that you have to constantly tweak alignment until the shot breaks. I suspect you have a little bit of the "single action" tendency to start looking downrange just before the shot actually breaks, which takes your eyes of the sight picture breaking left.
    Boy, that's all good information! Thank you.
    I should have mentioned that my son (a fair shot with a handgun, and has considerable experience) is left handed - I am right handed. I am definitely not taking user error out of the equation!

Boolit Master
    I shoot high and slightly left with a Glock. NEVER had to drift the sights much to the right to cure the windage situation. Glock rears come in different heights. Surely you can figure the height you need. Dry fire and see if your front sight goes to the right alot when the trigger breaks. If it does then you are the windage problem. Learn to control the trigger better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    If they are the stock Glock plastic sights I would definitely plan on replacing them. It is an easy job; all you will need is the proper tool to tighten the nut on the new front sight.

That said; I have no idea why yours doesn’t shoot to the sights. How did you adjust the sight to lower the impact?
    Tony
    I didn't really adjust the height, I used the 2nd sight included in the kit.

Those sights may be 'calibrated' for a slower and or heavier bullet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

2nd sight in the kit? That is a new one to me. Thank you; I learned something!
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    2nd sight in the kit? That is a new one to me. Thank you; I learned something!
    Tony
    There was a little goodie bag with the "G" on the outside of it, assuming that it was included?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I shoot high and slightly left with a Glock. NEVER had to drift the sights much to the right to cure the windage situation. Glock rears come in different heights. Surely you can figure the height you need. Dry fire and see if your front sight goes to the right alot when the trigger breaks. If it does then you are the windage problem. Learn to control the trigger better.
    Like I said - not excluding me as the cause. Ordinarily, I would say that it is - but it's so consistently off to the same degree with both left and right handed shooters, and the POI is so proportionally off when increasing or decreasing distance. I never have liked having a firearm that has a different "hold". And yes, I can figure out the difference - but the sight will be proud of the dovetail for windage and the elevation would have to be a different "hold".
    I handed it to my brother this morning, he shot it with similar results (he's definitely a Glock guy) and I shot his Gen 2 with no real issues.
    I gave it to a fella at church that shoots competition, we'll have to see what he comes up with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Like I said - not excluding me as the cause. Ordinarily, I would say that it is - but it's so consistently off to the same degree with both left and right handed shooters, and the POI is so proportionally off when increasing or decreasing distance. I never have liked having a firearm that has a different "hold". And yes, I can figure out the difference - but the sight will be proud of the dovetail for windage and the elevation would have to be a different "hold".
    I handed it to my brother this morning, he shot it with similar results (he's definitely a Glock guy) and I shot his Gen 2 with no real issues.
    I gave it to a fella at church that shoots competition, we'll have to see what he comes up with.

All I'm saying is in 51 years of shooting handguns I have only seen one that required me moving a rear sight more than a few thousands to correct the windage. If I have had to move the sight more than a few thousands it was me that was the trouble.
    You problem may be something mechanical. One can't rule that out either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Boy, that's all good information! Thank you.
    I should have mentioned that my son (a fair shot with a handgun, and has considerable experience) is left handed - I am right handed. I am definitely not taking user error out of the equation!

Assuming the gun is good to go, high impacts are often the result of looking over the gun at the last instant before the bullet exits. This is all stuff that happens in tiny fractions of seconds, but if you're trying to see the hole as soon as the gun fires, your lizard brain tells you to get that gun out of your eyeballs way, while at the same time you're trying to keep your front sight on target. Result is the back of the gun dips down and the front effectively rises.

Much like the windage issue I mentioned, follow through on your sight picture all the way until AFTER the shot is key.

Basically think in terms of tweaking your arm and grip so hopefully the gun CAN'T go offline, then adjust your sighting process so you can perceive it when it does.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing I can add is shoot it off a rest and see where it groups. I had to drift the rear sight on mine a wee bit, but elevation was fine.

Good luck
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I really appreciate everyone's input and help. I'm really hoping it's just the jackwagon holding the darn thing. I know that even suggesting that Gaston's work isn't the epitome of perfection is closing in on blasphemy to most, but the ones I have shot (and I have owned a couple in the past) just seemed better than this one. I'm looking forward to hearing results from my friend.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Also, don't assume that the super high grip which swallows the gun being pushed by all the reviewers is right for you. I find it causes my trigger finger to slant downwards, making trigger control much harder. I try to keep my trigger finger on a horizontal plane with the barrel, which means I actually have a little daylight between the web of my palm and the beavertail of the grip. I have always found striker fired autos are way more sensitive to minor adjustments in grip and trigger finger placement than other guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I typically shoot my Glock(s) slightly high and left, unless I really concentrate. Not as much as the OP, maybe 1-2 inches each way. It doesn't really bother me, because I don't regard them as "target" pistols. In a self-defense situation, such a minor difference won't matter anyway.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few Glocks now. I hated them until I bought one. I took it to the range and it went Bang on every trigger pull and was accurate, for what it is.

Is your gun new in box? Or has it been modified? The reason I ask is I haven't seen one NIB with adjustable sights. Maybe they make some that way. I just haven't seen them. Also, the Gen 5 guns have the sights set up to "Drive the dot", meaning the bullet impact is intended to go where the dot on the front sight is. Previous guns were set up for a 5 o'clock hold, which I prefer. Shooting a Gen 5 using a 6 o'clock hold will shoot low.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a Gen 4 Glock 19. Thought it was shooting way left until I shot it off bags. That’s when I realized it was me camming the gun left as I pulled that mushy trigger. Started experimenting with different grip and found that by putting my strong hand thumb over my support hand thumb and engaging the trigger at the joint of my trigger rectified the camming effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast