Thread: Any Harley enthusiasts here?

Boolit Master
    Flip flops and shorts?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Flip flops and shorts?
    Not what I would ever ride in, but I'm not judging.

Bought the bike.

Arranging payment and figuring out when I want to go down there to get it. My trailer is an open 10' utility trailer that is lifted and has AT tires. Dad said I could use his tandem axle 14' covered trailer. Has typical highway tread trailer tires. Not sure which is better for the trip on potentially snow-covered roads.

Leaning towards my utility trailer and buying a cover for the motorcycle to keep road grime off of it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet! Congrats on the bike. Boy I remember that sound my Vance Long Shots made. Sounds like nothing else. I'm excited for you just watching that video
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Back in the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, I was a big fan of the XR 750’s! From the 1/2 miles, to the TT Tracks to the mile ovals they dominated! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Don't trailer it with a cover on it. The grime will clean of easier than polishing the abrasions on the paint from the cover rubbing on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Don't trailer it with a cover on it. The grime will clean of easier than polishing the abrasions on the paint from the cover rubbing on it.
    This

Boolit Master

Thinking about driving down there with no trailer, then renting a U-Haul covered trailer to bring it back in. Can't be too much money.

Edited: $144 for a 5'x8' enclosed trailer. Trying to figure out how long the bike is. No specs online. Current Road King is 95". Will have to have my dad measure it. If it's too long, then the next size up trailer is $251, and that is just a bit too much.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 01-16-2022 at 11:55 PM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Maybe have it shipped to you? Might end up less than the road trip. Or have your Dad keep it until spring time and fly down and ride it back.

Boolit Master
    Not a Harley fan specifically, but a bike fan even though I am bikeless for the time being. I have had... err... 4 different bikes myself and ridden Heaven only knows how many.

There are a few that stand out as remarkable experiences to ride, and the 1200 Sportster was one of those. It handled nicely while being stable and substantial, and it was just COOL. I usually prefer lighter bikes with more efficient powerplants, but that was a lovely experience. The Buell XB12S (same engine, basically) was an absolutely hoot to ride, torque for days no matter what gear you were in or how fast you were going.

Don't really care for the full dressers which seem to be so dominant in the Harley space these days, at that point I'll just take a car.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Not a Harley fan specifically, but a bike fan even though I am bikeless for the time being. I have had... err... 4 different bikes myself and ridden Heaven only knows how many.

Don't really care for the full dressers which seem to be so dominant in the Harley space these days, at that point I'll just take a car.
    Me too unless i was going on a longer ride. I like twins though, had 2002 SV650 thta was a hoot to ride. Now i have DL1000A V StromClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170728_082532.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	294718 photo from 2017 at Sumatra Montana oN HWY 12.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 01-18-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Maybe have it shipped to you? Might end up less than the road trip. Or have your Dad keep it until spring time and fly down and ride it back.
    Shipping is about the same as the gas, since my SUV gets 16 mpg on road trips. 3500 miles for the last trip(multiple trips into the desert and mini-road trips into California) was over $800 just for gas.

Airline ticket is $315 one way. I'm assuming this Road King gets as bad gas mileage as my last one, which was 22 mpg on the highway. It's 1400 miles one way, so $230 for gas based on local prices.

Flying down and riding back would be about $550, which is less than the road trip option. If I just drive there and back and only do one or two trips into the desert, then figure 3000 miles at 16 mpg, 187.5 gallons of gas, at $3.65 a gallon, is $685.

But, I was planning on driving down there anyway for vacation in the next month or so. I love going to Yuma in the winter!

I get to leave this...

Attachment 294727

And enjoy this for a week or two...

Attachment 294728

Boolit Buddy

It's nice you got the bike. I think a road trip is the right idea.

Boolit Master

Harley is back from service. Was tuned and oil changed. Transmission fluid was like new. Dealer said throttle cable needs replaced because it's sticky, so seller took $300 off the price.

$4700 paid in full. Should be in my folk's garage tonight.

Boolit Master

You should be getting at least 35 to 40 MPG. My 93 Fatboy gets that and it's pretty built.

You should be getting at least 35 to 40 MPG. My 93 Fatboy gets that and it's pretty built.
    I agree. At 22 mpg that bike must have been gargling fuel. Here's mine;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2914.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	294732
    Bought new in the fall of '98' Even with the mods, it gets 52-55mpg. Still have it. I have 6 other bikes also. I lean mostly to dual sport riding now. The idiots out there are keeping me out in the boonies in the dirt. Like I like. These are the hooligans I ride with:
    http://www.gldsmc.com/
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

The problem with the old bike was that it was rebuilt with all S&S parts and built pretty hot. The owner said it was around 100hp (liklely exxagerated). The other problem was that on my daily ride, I was commuting from an elevation of 5050' down to Phoenix at 1080'. The bike was tuned for 5050', so for half of the daily trip, it was running very rich and you could smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Boolit Master

At altitude the mix should be leaner as the air is less dense. If it was tuned for elevation, you would be lean at sea level. Lean is not good on a motor and really bad juju on a Harley.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    The problem with the old bike was that it was rebuilt with all S&S parts and built pretty hot. The owner said it was around 100hp (liklely exxagerated). The other problem was that on my daily ride, I was commuting from an elevation of 5050' down to Phoenix at 1080'. The bike was tuned for 5050', so for half of the daily trip, it was running very rich and you could smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.
    Maybe the best... perhaps Only, argument for Fuel Injection... Push the Button, and Go!!!
    If it gives problems!!! Call ThunderMax... Problem(s) solved....

Boolit Master

At altitude the mix should be leaner as the air is less dense. If it was tuned for elevation, you would be lean at sea level. Lean is not good on a motor and really bad juju on a Harley.
    Duh! You're right! Back in High school, when I would go to Lewiston, ID to cruise the main drag in my muscle-cars, I always had to retard the timing at the lower elevation to eliminate pre-detonation and back the fuel screws out to richen the mixture. Good times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Maybe the best... perhaps Only, argument for Fuel Injection... Push the Button, and Go!!!
    If it gives problems!!! Call ThunderMax... Problem(s) solved....
    Yep, i crossed the Rockies and the Cascades without a hiccup on the Suzuki back in 2017. My mileage went down with intake, fueling and exhaust mods but man, does that thing go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast