Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Harley enthusiasts here?

Boolit Master

Any Harley enthusiasts here?

Getting the itch for a bike, again. I used to own a 1993 Harley Davidson Road King that was heavily customized when I lived in Arizona. I fell into the deal for that bike and bought it for profit. Paid $6500 and sold it a year later for $8500.

I absolutely loved that bike! Only issue was that since it was carbed, going from Prescott Valley to Phoenix was quite a change in elevation, and it ran rich down in the Valley.

A female friend of mine at work has a Honda cruiser and convinced me to get a bike for this summer so we can do some road trips. Bike prices are ridiculous up here, which is silly, since you can only ride them a few months out of the year.

So, since I was planning on visiting my folks down in Arizona soon, started searching that area for bikes and found a deal that has to be too good to be true.

1994 Harley Davidson Road King, with only 31,000 miles, in immaculate shape, for $5000. I believe it is completely original and comes with a lot of factory options.

I was only wanting to spend around $3500 for a used Japanese cruiser bike, but this seems like a great deal. My uncle used to own a Honda motorcycle dealership and is going with my dad over to look at it tomorrow.

One source I looked at said it was fuel-injected, while another said 1995 was the first year for EFI.

Anybody have any thoughts on what it is really worth and if I should get it?

Only one photo...

Attachment 294642
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 2002 Road King. I love it. Mine has a carburetor on it. Some of these Harleys have an issue with the camshaft drive chain tensioners. Mine was one of them. I am not sure what years had issues but do not ignore it. Good luck in your search.

Boolit Buddy

Harley started with the Electra Glides as an option in 1995. First Road Kings were in 1996.

Good luck. Looks like a sharp bike. Just traded in a Road King on a Ultra this summer. Loved the Road King but don't regret the trade.

Boolit Master
    Not a Harley enthusiast, but am very into motycycles. That is definitely a carb model. Fuel injection did not start for most models til the 2000's. It will need to be jetted for your elevation in Idaho. If it is gonna sit over the winter, start it regularly. I would also go so far as to get alcohol free gas for it before it sits. Marine gas is alcohol free if you're near a lake.

Boolit Buddy
    Evo powerplant. Reliable, easy to work on, easy to maintain.
    Couple things I can notice. S&s carb, not factory but a good carb if treated right. That means at the least it should be "stage 1" and possibly have aftermarket pipes or slip on mufflers.

Hard to tell from the pic, but the rear cargo box did not come on the bike. May be a harley add on or may be aftermarket. Seat looks like an electraglude seat. The road king seats had a shorter nose section, once again hard to tell from pic. The bars may be aftermarket, again hard to tell from the pic.

5k$ is a decent price now, that is on the high side but not out of the question pre pandemic.

A few things it will most likely need with that low amount of miles and original.
    - flush and change all fluids, including the brake fluid. They use a silicon based brake fluid (dot 4 I think), not compatible with dot 3 and gets gummy after 20+ years.
    - may need new brake lines, again 20+ years causes dryrot.
    - if they were not replaced it's gonna need tappets/lifters soon. Harley recommends an initial change at 25k on the evos. The factory lifters were junky and prone to coming apart. Much better option out there now.
    - the cam bearing may need replaced at some point. The bean counters changed them at some point and I cannot remember the exact year. If yours came with a torrington from the factory it is good to go, ina is bad.

None of this is to dissuade you whatsoever. Just remember this is now a "vintage" machine.....
    I love the evos for their simplicity and reliability
    But like any other machine older machine they need some care. Certainly not as much as the old shovelheads and iron head sporties though.

The early injection models introduced in 95 are temperamental and can be difficult to work on and diagnose. I have one carbed and one injected, I know a thing or two about them. Evoken

Banned
    Brough Superior fan here!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Getting the itch for a bike, again. I used to own a 1993 Harley Davidson Road King that was heavily customized when I lived in Arizona. I fell into the deal for that bike and bought it for profit. Paid $6500 and sold it a year later for $8500.

I absolutely loved that bike! Only issue was that since it was carbed, going from Prescott Valley to Phoenix was quite a change in elevation, and it ran rich down in the Valley.

A female friend of mine at work has a Honda cruiser and convinced me to get a bike for this summer so we can do some road trips. Bike prices are ridiculous up here, which is silly, since you can only ride them a few months out of the year.

So, since I was planning on visiting my folks down in Arizona soon, started searching that area for bikes and found a deal that has to be too good to be true.

1994 Harley Davidson Road King, with only 31,000 miles, in immaculate shape, for $5000. I believe it is completely original and comes with a lot of factory options.

I was only wanting to spend around $3500 for a used Japanese cruiser bike, but this seems like a great deal. My uncle used to own a Honda motorcycle dealership and is going with my dad over to look at it tomorrow.

One source I looked at said it was fuel-injected, while another said 1995 was the first year for EFI.

Anybody have any thoughts on what it is really worth and if I should get it?

Only one photo...

Attachment 294642
    I am highly skeptical of that price as it is clearly not a junker or something that needs a great deal of fixing. The owner took very good care of it. If true, I'd buy it, ride it to Arizona and trade it for a new bike like a Boulevard. I loved my 99 Softtail Custom. Bike ran and rode great but sold it last year as I never had time to ride it. No interest in buying another one, though. Harley's are nice but very overpriced. For less money I'd buy a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki and not look back. We found a similar deal on an almost new 1200 Sportster that a guy bought, ran one summer then went blind. He kept it several years and used to go out to the garage and run it every so often but then just sold it for a good price. Don't buy one, Sportsters are not made for older people in my opinion. I never liked it but it was the wife's and she never really liked it either.

As a former owner you already know that HD stands for "Hundred Dollars" as that's the min your going to pay for a standard Spring Oil Change.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-16-2022 at 07:23 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Hopefully you won't have another scorching summer out there. I rode less last summer because of the heat.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

A few things it will most likely need with that low amount of miles and original.
    - flush and change all fluids, including the brake fluid. They use a silicon based brake fluid (dot 4 I think), not compatible with dot 3 and gets gummy after 20+ years.
    - may need new brake lines, again 20+ years causes dryrot.
    - if they were not replaced it's gonna need tappets/lifters soon. Harley recommends an initial change at 25k on the evos. The factory lifters were junky and prone to coming apart. Much better option out there now.
    - the cam bearing may need replaced at some point. The bean counters changed them at some point and I cannot remember the exact year. If yours came with a torrington from the factory it is good to go, ina is bad.

I agree but if I bought that bike and was intending a trip from Idaho to Arizona I'd bite the bullet and take it to either a Harley dealer or recommended independent and tell them to go through it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

If it checks out, then I would have my dad buy it, then I would drive from Idaho to Arizona in my SUV towing my utility trailer. I would then re-pay my dad, load the Harley into the trailer, and drive back up to Idaho.

I would use it for daily commuting to work and back, and weekend trips in the region of no more than 100 miles.

Interestingly enough, I found an even better deal on a 2002 HD Heritage Soft Tail over in Montana for $5400. Beautiful bike with 43,000 miles and all the parts I would want.

Attachment 294645
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Something like this would turn my crank;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HARLEY-DAVIDSON-XL1200-SPORTSTER.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	294646
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Many years ago after owing two BSA's and a Triumph I bought a 1952 Harley and rode it until in the early 60's when Honda started selling bikes here. I bought a 305 Super Hawk and discovered what a real motorcycle was. I'm sure that Harley had to have improved their machines over the years but, with the Honda all I had to do was put gas in it, change the oil and ride the heck out of it. Over the years I bought and rode a lot of Hondas and never looked back. I sold my last one, a Gold Wing, in 2015 after a fire that gutted my garage and shop. I had to leave the bike outside and didn't have time to ride it during the reconstruction of the garage. I've thought about buying a bike again, even thought about a Harley, but I realized that I don't have the strength to pick it back up if I dumped it. This getting old is getting old. I envy those of you that can still ride. Enjoy it, it doesn't last forever. If you see an old guy in a white Jeep turning green with envy as you ride by that will be me.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would say get the Heritage. I have an '08 Heritage and really like the balanced engine over the unbalanced one. I know many look down on the balanced engine as its not "traditional" but the older I get, the more I am glad I got it. Don't ride much anymore because of the "cagers" but its paid for and not taking up much room.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I would say get the Heritage. I have an '08 Heritage and really like the balanced engine over the unbalanced one. I know many look down on the balanced engine as its not "traditional" but the older I get, the more I am glad I got it. Don't ride much anymore because of the "cagers" but its paid for and not taking up much room.
    Not to knock anyone here but a 95 to 08 are completely different power plants. You really can't compare the two. The Roadking looks like the nicer bike of the two. You will get a better ride out of it than the Softail. I have a 93 Fatboy and an 08 Roadglide. I bought both of them new. Changing lifters at 25,000 miles in an Evo is news to me and one of my best friends was the parts manager and then service manager at the local HD dealership for years. Usually anything that mentions Harley devolves into a bashing thread similar to Lee reloading products. I would jump on that Roadking. It looks like it was owned by someone who took care of it. A lot of folks just don't ride their bikes a lot and as they get older just decide they are not or can not ride anymore at all. Plus the bags on that Softail look hideous.

Boolit Buddy
    The lifter like the cam bearing was changed to a cheaper version in the later versions of the evos. I know that it is in the service manuals for the 98 year models, but not sure when they went with the cheaper versions. I believe about the same time that they changed the motor from a bottom breather to a top breather.

That is not to say that it absolutely needs done. My 98 ultra has close to 60k with the original lifters still. But it was something the service manual recommends, may just to be to sell parts. I do know the ina cam bearing is junk and did in fact scatter quite a few cam chests.

I also agree with the difference in years. Different power plant, different frame, etc. Back in the 90's there was no balanced motor. Late 90's touring bikes had rubber mounted engines, softtails and dynas had hard mounted engines.

Boolit Master

Evoken I used the stock lifters in the Fatboy even after doing some pretty extensive motor work. Alas, that was not the cause of that motors demise though. Early Evo cases were too soft an alloy when you started building power in to it and pulled the cylinder studs out of the case. HD changed the alloy in 95, I fixed mine by going with aftermarket cases. Something else to consider, many dealerships will no longer work on Evo's. Not really a big deal there are plenty of really good independent shops out there. Some dealerships may still work on them but the two in my area certainly will not. Lifters are more of an issue with the twin cam motor especially the 110 CI due to cam and head combo's from HD.

Moderator Emeritus

Harleys use to go for real high money. But now with many Babyboomers aging out of the riding market, I see more and more of them on the market for reasonable prices. So, I think now is the time to buy one. Myself? I prefer Asian imported bikes, they are just so much more reliable and require much less maintenance...But, nothing sounds like a Harley.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Haven't been without one since 1979... does that count???

Boolit Buddy
    Pm sent.

Boolit Master

Dad and my uncle, along with a Harley expert went over to inspect it. They all said it is exceptionally nice and a great deal.

Dad sent video from his phone of it being test rode. Sounds amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast