Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

Vendor Sponsor

Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

I made this dish tonight, then re-wrote the recipe to be exactly how I made it. Turned out VERY good! Cheesy, buttery, YUM!!

Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

Ingredients:

• 4 cups Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
    • 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
    • 1 cup diced sweet onion
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 4 tablespoons Wondra flour
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    • 3/4 teaspoon Tony Cachere’s Creole Seasoning
    • dash white pepper
    • Sprinkle smoked paprika

Cheese Mixture:

Melt butter in skillet, stir in flour to make light roux, gradually add milk stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles, stir in mustard, add cheese, Tony’s, and white pepper, stir until cheese melts.

Directions:

Slice potatoes and parboil until almost tender. Saute ham and onion. Assemble potatoes, ham, and onion in a greased 8” x 11” baking dish, pour cheese mixture over potatoes and mix together, sprinkle paprika for color, bake at 350F until potatoes are tender and top is browned and bubbly, about 40mins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin 1-15-2022.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	294640

A note about the cheese, use some extra sharp cheddar, I found a block of Cabot Classic Vermont Cheddar in Wegman's, I haven't seen this Cabot cheese in any other stores and never used it before, but holy moley this stuff is DA BOMB!! Excellent cheddar, I think it brings out the best in this dish. I have had cheesy potato dishes before that didn't quite meet expectations, but this Classic Vermont cheddar is well worth hunting down!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabot Classic Vermont Cheddar.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	294641
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-16-2022 at 04:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

You're making me hungry. Looks good.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-16-2022 at 08:02 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Try it with SPAM, it's fantastic!

Boolit Grand Master

MMMMMM....Cheese........

Wife just made a pan of Macaroni and Cheese using Purple Wax Cabot Cheddar.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Sounds a lot like what the wife makes with the left overs from a baked ham. Now I want a baked Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin. Sounds good. Love to see good food. To much of this processed stuff in the world today.

Good job.

Oh and I will pass on the spam thing.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    MMMMMM....Cheese........

Wife just made a pan of Macaroni and Cheese using Purple Wax Cabot Cheddar.
    Where did she get that Wegman's? I didn't see that there. Or maybe I did and didn't look closer. That label is the same label that's on mine and mine is wrapped in a black plastic it looks like. I didn't see any others that looked like this label.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-16-2022 at 09:44 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

We made our version of that just the other night - My wife looked at your recipe and her one comment was " Not enough CHEESE". Yep, we live up here in Cabot country. There are a couple of Cabot shops here in VT where you used to be able to taste just about everything Cabot makes - Tasting is all shut down since covid . But if we were anywhere close, and hungry, we would stop in and graze Cabot products until fully satisfied. We used to call the shop "Cheese Ahoy"
    Being human is not for sissies.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    We made our version of that just the other night - My wife looked at your recipe and her one comment was " Not enough CHEESE". Yep, we live up here in Cabot country. There are a couple of Cabot shops here in VT where you used to be able to taste just about everything Cabot makes - Tasting is all shut down since covid . But if we were anywhere close, and hungry, we would stop in and graze Cabot products until fully satisfied. We used to call the shop "Cheese Ahoy"
    Actually I didn't use shredded cheese like the recipe said, I had about 1/3 of a block like the one pictured and I coarsely chopped that and put it in the roux. It would have made maybe 2C shredded I am guessing? It's plenty cheesy! Recipe changed to 2 cups.

I have been a Cabot fan for years, but here in NC we only get the 8oz. size and all the stores have the same selection, wasn't until I found this in Wegman's that I even knew they made the vintage choice aged 24mo cheese. I will admit, it *IS* a KEY INGREDIENT in this recipe, the proof is in the taste of the dish, it's uncommonly good and cheddar-y. Much better than when we made it with the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-16-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Another thing we do sometimes is to add a can or two of Ortega or Hatch chopped green chiles - Makes it just a bit of a "southwest" thing - Notice I did NOT say "south of the border". We use smoked paprika instead of just plain ole paprika. Pretty hard to go wrong with your basic recipe. We have one more two serving package of ours vacuum sealed in the freezer. Saving it for a hard day of snow removal - which may be tomorrow
    Being human is not for sissies.

Vendor Sponsor

I also used smoked paprika, just didn't specify that in the recipe. Ok, LOL I will fix that too!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use a hand slicer to cut the potatoes very thin. The ones on top curl up through the cheese and get crispy.

Boolit Grand Master

Ham and Potatoes in a Cheesy Sauce ... Oh My ...You got me !
    Thanks for posting DG , it looks like my kind of dish !
    That photo made my mouth water .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Cabot is my go to cheese. I get 2 pound blocks of the extra sharp white cheddar at Walmart and go thru one in a month. Love the stuff! Occasionally buy the little 8oz block of their extra sharp reserve aged cheddar but it is to expensive for cooking with.

Boolit Grand Master

Doug, I have been purchasing exactly that cheese at Sam's for years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    New York extra sharp white cheddar is also very good and is similar to Cabot.

I mail order mine from The Cuba Cheese Shop in Cuba, NY.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.