RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separating fired brass for 2 different 45-70s

Boolit Mold

Separating fired brass for 2 different 45-70s

It's not a big chore to keep track of spent brass formed in 1 bpcr -vs- another. Invariably though, some fired cases could end up together. Maybe in a tumbler; or sometimes I'll primer a few extras to have ready, but don't use them at that loading session.
    Is there a better process to eliminate all question? Color code?

Make a small notch in the rim with a file.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Get a genuine Sharpie, and fill in the letters of the head stamp.
    Without some real aggressive case cleaning, it won't come off/out.

Otherwise, notching the rim is the best way to go.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I’ve done the notch with a file on the rim of the case. I had read that doing the notch thing did two things first and foremost it allows you to orient the cartridge in the chamber at 12:00 o’clock every time the cartridge is in the same position in the chamber . My mind says anything that lends itself to consistency is a worthwhile endeavor.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Different brand of brass for each rifle, unless they're both wearing the same chamber.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I notched the cases I used BP in to keep them apart from the others.

Boolit Grand Master

There are ways this can be done some are easier faster to sort when mixed.
    Notched rim with a small file. easy to see at a glance few tools required for this.One light to medium pass the length of a round jewelers file will make a very nice notch in the rim. A dremil tool with a 1/32 cut off wheel also makes a nice neat notch
    orienting the notch with the thick side of the case and indexing thru loading and chambering also adds a level of consistency

a 1/16 stamp X or a number works is harder to see when sorting a small hammer and letter numbers set is needed. a fixture helps a lot here also

I have with a small lathe and threading tool cut a groove halfway on the rim this stands out well for sorting and iding but nothing added in use.

Paint markers inks work but wash polish off quickly

And there's always the possibility that you don't need to separate. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I take it you are not sizing your brass and thumb seating the boolits, do you use a taper crimp die?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I wonder what is the difference in BP, cases & SP, cases? as long as they are cleaned, the BP, ones after cleaning & tumbled are no different. than any other brass? what an I missing?

Boolit Grand Master

Some may prep their BP cases different than smokeless. Also the salts BP produce can be harder on brass.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I wonder what is the difference in BP, cases & SP, cases? as long as they are cleaned, the BP, ones after cleaning & tumbled are no different. than any other brass? what an I missing?
    Not all 45-70 chambers are created equal, some are much more generous than others, and cases fired in one chamber may need a couple of trips thru the size die to be able to chamber in another rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Right...my C Sharps sizes a little different than my Shiloh. Most of my cartridges will interchange but sometimes they still wont chamber after a resizing. Not a big issue; just knew you guys had seen it all before.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Different brand of brass for each rifle, unless they're both wearing the same chamber.
    yup~!!

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    ?????? should go in any chamber after a resize------------whats up there?
    Well not all chamber reamers are cut the same. While they are all within saami specs, some hold tighter to the minimum than others. Without some serious resizing the only rifle cases fired in my C Sharps will go in is the Italian sharps. Cases fired in the Browning won't chamber in the Shiloh, but cases fired in the Winchester BPCR will. Browning fired cases a single pass thru the resizing die will let them fit the Shiloh and Winchester, but the CSA and Italian cases take a couple of passes, and then chances are pretty good you may have to knock them out with a rod.
    That's one of the biggest reasons we went from 3 40-65's to just one, if any cases fired in the other two it was a bear getting them to chamber in the Highwall, so we only kept the Highwall, and sent the cases from the other 2 rifles with their new owners.

Boolit Mold
    I think Mr. Don McDowell did a fine job of relating what I'm trying to say, & explaining why. Even after a few resizing operations, some cases from my C.Sharps still won't chamber easily in the Shiloh. But vice versa, usually no problem.
    That's why keeping them separate is the goal. Or sell one.... which is pretty harsh

Meatball if you can find the Hornady component brass your Shiloh might just really like it I know mine does then you can use what ever you have on hand or can find for the CSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think that OCD, is comming into play? what happens when range pick up brass is picked up? no way of knowing in what gun they were shot in? think an out it when it is offered for sale. I know you will pass on it! OH WELL. jmho.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball357 View Post
    I think Mr. Don McDowell did a fine job of relating what I'm trying to say, & explaining why. Even after a few resizing operations, some cases from my C.Sharps still won't chamber easily in the Shiloh. But vice versa, usually no problem.
    That's why keeping them separate is the goal. Or sell one.... which is pretty harsh
    There is a very simple solution for correct sizing. Send three fired cases to Lee, and they will make you a sizing die to match that chamber.

You don't mention what make of sizing die you have, if it's not Lee, try one first. Lee sizing dies tend to size to the minimum side of the spec.

It's simpler to differentiate the brass with a permanent marker after loading. Mark with a particular color inside the extractor groove. You can then handle the loaded round without accidentally wiping the mark off. The mark just needs to survive one firing, then all the marked fired brass can be easily sorted into a labelled container for the next reloading session.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, I use an RCBS die for sizing the miscellaneous case that wasn't fired in that particular rifle. Works great in Shiloh. I'll probably just dedicate a single brass to the C Sharps...keep it simple.

Thanks for all the tips & discussion. Helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast