RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Gun Shop Black Powder Measure Custom Made

Hollywood Gun Shop Black Powder Measure Custom Made

I purchased a custom made Hollywood Gun Shop Black Powder Measure. It is not marked, the seller said it is a Hollywood Gun Shop custom made. If any one has any information about this, please let me know. This is my first powder measure that I have bought, going to reload 45-70 and 45-90 black powder cartridge. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220115_090023.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	294632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (13).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	294633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220115_085941.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	294634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220115_090004.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	294635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220115_085924.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	294636

USMC 77, USRA 79

Holy Cow what a sweetheart... i am not sure about its origins, but it is a beaut!!!! looks like the whole thing was custom turned on a lathe and then assembled, polished... prolly has action like a fine cowboy action gun...

did any other parts come with it? longer drop tube or anything else? any other markings? where did you find it?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I bought on Ebay, there are no markings on it. No other parts came with it. it is very well made and heavy. I have compared it to many pictures of other Hollywood measures and they are almost the same in design and parts, especially the micrometer is the same. Thank you for your reply.

Banned
    How much did it cost you………it looks good!

Hi, I paid $180 plus shipping. I know it may seem high but based that it is custom black powder measure, I decided to take chance on it. It is very heavy I think it is made out of machined steel with an aluminum funnel inside and the drum is brass. The powder hopper is plastic and it is two inches wide by eight inches high.

Boolit Bub
    That's a well modified Hollywood and certainly wasn't over priced. But I don't think it came from Hollywood ( never read once where they had a custom shop) but from a very good machinist/shooter. You might consider a different hopper for Blk powder, appears to be plastic. A polished brass tube would look very good with the brass rotor. I have a couple that's unmodified and they throw extruded powder as well as any of my Harrells and Culvers measures I have. In fact they are my go to for extruded.

Rayh thank you for your response. Yes the hopper is plastic, I just do not know were to buy a brass hopper.

If anyone knows were I can find a brass hopper, please let me know thanks.

Boolit Bub
    At one time Lyman made a BP 55 version with a brass hopper, might check the dimensions of the 55 hopper. Also there was a company making a BP version of the old B&M measure but I'm having a senior moment and can't recall who. Maybe a company like Onlinemetals would have thin wall brass tubing. I've bought thin wall Al tubing from them and they sell short lengths. There is also a company selling a glass hoppers for regular measures but I don't know if glass would build up static. Hoping some others can answer that.

Boolit Master
    rayh is correct, it is a modified Hollywood PM. And HW did not have a custom shop, but they would honor certain requests that did not deviate too much from the norm, like different size die holes and such.

That measure was a stock measure that was sanded and polished.

HW did not make brass drums, nor is this one. The drum is aluminum alloy with a super tough coating that gives it the gold finish. I have quite a few of them. I forgot the name of the finish, considering the age of the PM that coating is truly high tech for the day.

I seriously doubt that there is aluminum in the funnel, I’m sure it was polished as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, either the seller mislead you or you made assumptions based on the pics, but that is not a “black powder”PM. However, I’m sure it will work fine for BP.

Sorry, I’m too technically challenged to post pics of my measures and drums.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-17-2022 at 11:10 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Lubedude thank you for the great information. The seller said it is a Hollywood Gun Shop Black Powder Measure and I believed him. I assumed the drum was brass, thank you for the clarification. Either way I like it and will be using with black powder.

The funnel is not polished and it feels like a different metal than the outside, I am taking about the area the powder drops into the drum, see picture. That section is not highly polished.

Views:	15 
ID:	294740

Boolit Master
    Sorry, my thoughts and content were not organized well; I had just woke up from a late nap.

Your particular measure is a second generation made out of cast aluminum alloy, so you are correct, the funnel is aluminum. But it does appear to polished out nonetheless, just not shiny like the outside. If it wasn’t polished you would see that it is rough compared to yours, plus seams would be visible since it is a casting. I don’t see the casting seams in your funnel.

Sorry I can’t post the pics to show the difference.

BTW - if your measure was some special BP measure, the powder hopper would be Aluminum, Brass, or Copper, not plastic. That plastic will cause static electricity.

In case you don’t know, to prevent static in that plastic hopper, rub a dryer sheet inside and out and place inside so that it is flat going around the inner circumference. Then pour the powder in.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Thank you for the information. Later today I am going to see if a magnet sticks to the measure and the drum.

Since I am new to this do you think I can still use this measure for black powder? I am also thinking of getting a Pyrex borosilicate glass Hopper for it. Below is what the seller said this item is:
    Vintage Hollywood Gun Shop Micrometer Powder Measure Custom made Black powder. Vintage Nice Custom Hollywood Gun shop Micrometer Powder Measure. These were made in California to aerospace tolerances back in the day. But the person that had this took it one step further and had two custom made.One I will be keeping. I have never seen one like it. I have checked it out against the best that are made today it is very accurate and is very good with dropping long grain powder. Look at how long the drop is for your powder.The Threads are the same as standard reloading dies lock nuts. You reloading guys if you want something unique start bidding.
    He also thinks it is made from machined steel.

Once again thank you for your response.

Boolit Master
    Well you did good. Considering that nobody makes a good one for near the price you paid. Should help you get consistent results.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

While that is a beautiful BP measure, I'm going to be the odd man out, but not about that measure. To wit, the BP and static electricity thing is very much exaggerated and you certainly can use "plastic" powder measures (Lee Dippers) or powder holders (Quick Load tubes, for example) without blowing your self up. Moreover, one BP club I shot at was fanatical about BP safety (no open containers, powder horns, etc. on the firing line, etc.) yet they allowed Lee Perfect PM's on the [hot] firing line. (There were several, btw.) With that in mind, you may want to give the Lee Perfect PM a whirl with BP: It is easy to set up and adjust and measures BP (FFFg or FFg) very accurately...and you can't beat the price!

Boolit Master
    As a stand alone measure, not on a progressive press, I think it will work fine. But that is MY opinion. You have to decide for yourself. I suggest that you dig around the internet for as much information as possible. There are guys that have had explosions, but the ones I heard about were progressive presses with smokeless powder and primer fed. I’ve heard black powder stories by word of mouth, but I never investigated myself to verify.

I have read an article and seen a video of a guy trying his best to ignite BP with electricity and failed. So he says there are no worries.

I have heard a few folks here talk about hooking up a ground wire to a press and/or PM. Uniquetek sells a ground wire kit for Reloaders.

If you verify the PM is all aluminum, change out the hopper or use dryer sheets, use the PM as a stand alone on a non iron/steel stand; how can there be sparks?

Don’t take my word for yes or BillyJoeJimBob’s as no. Your hands or life may be on the line. You need to decide if it is safe or not with as much information as possible. After all, you already got false information from that EBay seller.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Just now saw Maven’s post. Good information.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice measure. Old school craftsmanship there. Bet there isnt a sharp edge to be found on it.
    Should be very smooth in operation

Thank you every one great information and learning. I am going to use the PM in a stand by itself, I got an lyman PM stand but I think it is made from iron, very heavy see picture. I am searching for a brass or aluminum Hopper and may have to find a place to custom make it. I am also looking at the Dram works Pyrex borosilicate glass hoppers.

So my next steps is to get an aluminum PM stand and a brass or aluminum hooper, still researching on the Pyrex type Hopper. Thank you!!

Name:	opplanet-lyman-powder-measure-stand-7767784-main.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	294759

Okay, the magnet test indicates the polished body is steel. The funnel in the body is not magnetic (aluminum), the drum is not magnetic so it is an aluminium alloy or brass. Very interesting results. Will be using for black powder, only need to find a new hopper and will be grounding the measure. Great information everyone has provided.

Views:	14 
ID:	294796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220115_090004.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	294797
    Last edited by LRR01; 01-18-2022 at 11:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    LRR01 - I am asking myself just exactly what blackpowder load would require the level of accuracy in volume that this Hollywood measure may deliver. And does it's degree of accuracy vary depending on the grain size of powders you intend to use?

harkom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast