Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load Data for Old Style 12 Ga Remington Peters 3" Hulls

Boolit Master

Load Data for Old Style 12 Ga Remington Peters 3" Hulls

I bought a bag of old Remington Peters 3" hulls at the gun show today. They are new and unfired. I paid $8 for 90 hulls. My issue is I can't find data! Nothing in my Lyman manual matches these. My goal is 00 buckshot, preferably 15 pellet. I fooled with trying a load for Remington SP hulls with a X12X gas seal and fiber cushion wad, but the fiber wad wouldn't fit and the gas seal was super tight. I'm stumped. These are some fine looking hulls. Easily twice the thickness of most modern stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EYA0-j7X0AASX-e.jpgggs.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Bubba Roundtree has a video on u- tube that might be helpful.Now he is using Rem Nitro hull which he is loading 15 pellets of 00 buck.hope this helps

Boolit Master
    Are the hulls fiber base wad?
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 01-16-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Master

If you have any 800x try page 40 here….

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Did the hulls come primed? Remington at one time made hulls for 157 and 209 sized primers. How old is your Lyman manual? I have #1 through #5. There is even shotgun load data in the old rifle/pistol manuals that preceded the #1 Shotgun manual. We need a picture of the inside of the hull or a hull that has been sectioned to be positive of what hull you have.

Bill

Boolit Master

Yes, they are. That's my biggest issue. Can't find any info on fiber based hulls. Forgot to mention that in the initial post.

Boolit Master

They are factory new, primed. I read in a old thread about the primer size deal. I might decide to widen them, or not. For $.09 apiece I'm not loading much old getting a single loading.

Boolit Grand Master

I found your case in the Lyman Shotshell #2. It is listed as the Remington-Peters "SP" 12 gauge 3". *basewad made of compression molded asbestos-like material, relatively hard, smooth and gray in color* It appears they take either a *57 or a #157 primer. It doesn't list what they were sold with.

Here is all of their listed buckshot data. Note that none of it is buffered data, so do not add buffer to these. Chances are really good you do not own any of the Alcan wads listed, which is one of the downfalls to shotgun reloading. Loading 100% to the book is next to impossible.

Take the following for what it is, an opinion. Use at your own risk.

The Alcan Air-Wedge was a gas seal. There is no good reason you can't substitute in your X12X. They are similar design and thickness, and should make next to no difference in your load. Anything that says card is now often called a nitro card. When it says Alcan .135 card, you can substitute an 1/8" nitro card. They are the exact same thing. You can cut them to make any thickness. The Alcan feltan-bluestreak is a lubed fiber wad. You can substitute a fiberwad. I prefer non-lubed myself, but they can be purchased either way. Alternatively a felt wad does the same thing, and you can use a combo of both a fiber and felt to get the height you need. Lastly is the Alcan kwik-sert, which was nothing but a specially cut mylar that could be used in a wad guide. You can substitute a regular old mylar wrap, only you will have to hand insert them. The Alcan Flite-Max wads were early attempts at a plastic wad. I'd just avoid those loads.

Based on the data, I'm guessing you have Remington *57 primers in those hulls, although it appears the CCI 157 makes no meaningful difference. Unfortunately I don't see anything you can use for a 15 pellet 00 buck load. There are two 1 7/8 oz loads that would work, but you would need either AL-7 or SR 4756 powder. I don't think they have even made AL-7 in my lifetime, and SR 4756 has been discontinued for almost 10 years now.

Boolit Master

I believe I would cut one down and make sure they are not plastic…
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Here's data from an old Hercules pamphlet I've got. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6098.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	294684
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Here's data from an old Hercules pamphlet I've got. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6098.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	294684
    Thank you. I won't lie, I have never heard of any of those wads. From the looks of it they call for the same charge no matter the wad. Also a bummer they don't denote the 1 7/8 oz load, which is about what I need for a 15 pellet load.

Boolit Master

Here's one split down the middle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220116_214759.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

What powders do you have?

Those Rem W----- wads are simply Remington Power Piston wads and should be gettable, or at least with Knock-offs. For 1 7/8 loads, you are definitely in the Blue Dot zone. I never loaded anything that heavy. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I would think that either an RP-12 or SP-12 would work in that hull with no problem.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What powders do you have?
    Good many. Herco, Blue Dot, Unique, Steel, HS-6, WSF, WST, Longshot, H Universal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Good many. Herco, Blue Dot, Unique, Steel, HS-6, WSF, WST, Longshot, H Universal.
    Those are great shotgun powders, but unfortunately it doesn't look like you have anything old enough for this. Bluedot came out about when your hulls were discontinued. You aren't likely to find 1 7/8 oz data for Herco or HS-6. If you had some SR 4756 or HS-7, then you would be in business.

You will have to make a decision. You can either load a 12 pellet load with data provided, or you will have to be willing to make a substitution. My suggestion is to use 3" Federal "hi-power" paper base load data. You will also have to be willing to make a primer substitution too, since those Federals use 209 primers.

Boolit Master

I was surprised, but these appear to be 209's as well. They looked slightly different when I deprimd one, but I was able to seat a CCI 209 with no problem. The size difference might have just been my perception. In reading, it appears they did make these for a short time with the "new" 209 primers before discontinuing them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Those are great shotgun powders, but unfortunately it doesn't look like you have anything old enough for this. Bluedot came out about when your hulls were discontinued. You aren't likely to find 1 7/8 oz data for Herco or HS-6. If you had some SR 4756 or HS-7, then you would be in business.

You will have to make a decision. You can either load a 12 pellet load with data provided, or you will have to be willing to make a substitution. My suggestion is to use 3" Federal "hi-power" paper base load data. You will also have to be willing to make a primer substitution too, since those Federals use 209 primers.
    On the Alliant PDF manual, page 49, they list Rem Peters 3" SP hulls with separate base. They list one 1 7/8 oz load with Blue Dot and a RP12 wad, which I have. They note 34 gr, and that's with a CCI 209M primer. Minus the magnum primer, I was thinking of starting at 33 gr. Am I on the right track?

Boolit Grand Master

The simple test is to measure the primer. A Remington 209 will be .241". I don't recall what a *57 is, but it is smaller. The hull listed in the Alliant manual is most likely a plastic basewad. They are often yellow or white, and can vary in height. The only way to know for sure is to call Alliant. The good news is that both that Remington and the Federal paper base hulls are listed with the exact same 34gr Bluedot, and nearly identical 10,500 psi. The catch is they are listed with CCI 209M and Federal 209A which are both magnum primers of about the same strength. Remington 209's will produce less pressure. That said, this is a hefty load, with decent pressure, so a drop in pressure is not going to be detrimental. The problem you might face is that you might not be able to fit 15 pellets of 00 buck in that. You will certainly need to cut the petals off the wad. Even then, it may not work. Try it and see. I wouldn't drop powder at all, I'd load 34 gr Bluedot.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-18-2022 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast