Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load Data for Old Style 12 Ga Remington Peters 3" Hulls

Boolit Master

Thanks. You're right. Fit isn't going to fly with 15. I was hoping they would roll crimp, but they are to thick and tough. I was hoping for a beefy load. Dropping down to even 12 pellets, it seems pointless. My standard 2 3/4" loads are 10 pellet. Going to 3" just for 2 pellets seems silly. I really appreciate the input.

Boolit Grand Master

With some creativity, extrapolation, and intuition, you should be able to make a 15 pellet load that works, but that is going into the black art that is shotgun substitutions.

Boolit Master
    I know this is not a load with Remington hulls,just one I found in Hodgdon's #21 manual.
    Winchester high brass plastic tube 3''
    31 grains HS-6
    15 #00 buck
    Alcan air wedge +3/8
    40 wad pressure
    10,500 psi

Boolit Buddy
    Some one is " a young fella" I used AL-7 & AL-8 when loading 3" goose loads. I still have some and use it in rifle cast loads. They were great powders.

Boolit Master

I miked one, and it's on the money at .241, so we have a 209 for sure. I think I need to just come to terms that these are not good candidates for 15 pellet 00. I'm going to load some test shells with 1 7/8 oz of #4 shot. Will still be a nasty load to play with!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ipopum View Post
    Some one is " a young fella" I used AL-7 & AL-8 when loading 3" goose loads. I still have some and use it in rifle cast loads. They were great powders.
    I have never seen it, I had to look it up. It appears most of Alcan powders were discontinued around 1980, which was well before my time. I seem to recall AL-7 being some kind of goofy square shaped powder, or am I thinking about something else? Fine powder I'm sure, same with the SR-series of powders, but it is what it is. When I started loading shotgun, I started with powders that were old even for that time, but quickly latched onto Bluedot. HS-7 was still common then, as was SR 4756 and 800x. Alliant STEEL was the new kid on the block, but it never went anywhere. We are now seeing a rare few loads with STEEL for some stuff, but not much. Really what really put the big hit on these powders was the lead ban. Everyone was loading 1 1/2oz baby mags, or 3" 1 5/8oz magnums. When steel first came on the scene, people stuck with the big and slow, but didn't want to go up in sizes. 1 3/8 oz loads of #4 steel were common, and with the powders of the era were slower than advertised. Then reloaders went the whole other way, speed kills, but the powders of the time couldn't get much speed with a good payload. That's when you would see these crazy loads like a 3" 7/8 oz #4 steel (sometimes smaller) with a heap of Bluedot or HS-7. The 3 1/2" shell came out somewhere in there, and lots of people went to that. Eventually people came to their senses and realized they just had to use bigger shot. By then anyone loading steel shot was mostly using the new Alliant STEEL, or not loading at all, since factory ammo had kept up with the trend. Unfortunately we are now lacking that section of powders, and Bluedot is the only one that remains now that 800x is discontinued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12