Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCORE (Maybe) from the local indoor range

A bud gave me a bunch of old flood damaged ammo some years ago. I sat out on the deck with my inertia tool and pulled a bunch of 147 gr .308 bullets. They were pretty tight. Good bullets, the cases were pretty corroded up though. Good call on the dud bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Sounds like you'll have a chance to refill some empty primer trays. You could resell cases and bullets hear. Win, win!
    No empty primer trays here - i learned my lesson last time around and have plenty of components.
    I think there may be some "hoarder" genes in me.
    My late mother was a world class hoarder, and it may well be genetic.
    As far as brass goes, I can't leave any usable brass on the ground.....even if i don't have a gun for it.
    I have a lot of 30-06, 303 British and other calibers that I'll use for trading.
    Boy we ARE a frugal group, aren't we?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I have 40-50 lbs. of 168 gr 30cal AP bullets that my dad pulled out of military 30-06 ammo to reload it with hunting and match bullets . He never tossed them because they are super accurate at long distance target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have 40-50 lbs. of 168 gr 30cal AP bullets that my dad pulled out of military 30-06 ammo to reload it with hunting and match bullets . He never tossed them because they are super accurate at long distance target shooting.
    If those are black tip AP bullets, they are worth something....more than just FMJ bullets for sure.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    ive never ever had a primer go off punching out of a shell on a press with decapping die. slow steady pressure on it and they just pop right out.

Boolit Master

I also pull down any duds I find / receive. My priorities in order are:
    Primers
    Projectiles
    Brass
    Hard to get excited about powder unless I’m pulling down a slew of one cartridge that some else loaded and has identified the powder used.
    Already have a good stash of primers but I still save salvaged primers for range loads.
    Salvaging projectiles for reuse does get tedious. Right now I’m looking at well over 500 rounds of reloaded 40 s&w. That’s a lot of pounding with a FA kinetic puller. I found that lightly tapping the bullet a mil or two back into the case loosens the crimp some but they still take 4 to 7 whacks with the kinetic to pop the bullet out. I plan to salvage these components and reload them for the SIL. A dozen boxes of ammo will make a good Father’s Day gift. I’ve processed 100 already and found two didn’t have a powder charge. No way of knowing if any were double charged.
    Some ranges lock their dud boxes for liability reasons, or to keep scroungers from dumping them all over.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Good deal. I've pulled apart thousands of range drops too, for components. Through the drought of primers, I've used the primed brass. I sort out any bad ones, of course.

I used to really wonder when I'd find clean, unfired factory rounds in the bucket, until I read some threads about what people will or won't shoot. It seems that a lot of people are scared to shoot ammo that has a minor dent or ding in it. I've fired so much old surplus ammo over the years, some dented and dinged, that minor stuff that that is completely irrelevant. Apparently it's also a fairly common thing to toss any ammo that's happened to touch the ground.
    Those folks obviously never heard of fire-forming brass. Great score!
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm seeing some doubt from a few posters about dealing with duds but I don't see a dud thats laid around for days, weeks or months as being dangerous. Most of the ones that I have seen were cartridges fired in a dirty AR that had a light primer strike. AR's like/need to be clean!

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests - if you hava SMG, run 'em thru THAT before pullin' 'em down.
    Knowing "range brass / scrap duds" pretty gud, MIGHT veerk!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Save the powder. Sort it by cartridge brand and caliber. If you can identify what type of powder it is, it maybe can be used again. Even if it can't be identified, it HAS to be good for something.
    Big NO on the powder, no way to know what it is other than fertilizer. Not worth the risk. You can be too froogal .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12