Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Crimp or Neck Tension for the 35 Whelen

Boolit Buddy

Crimp or Neck Tension for the 35 Whelen

Hi,

I’m going to work up loads for a whelen I’ve acquired based on a Gew 98 mauser. All of the bullet designs I’ve seen so far don’t seem to include a crimp groove. But I did see Lee offers a FCD for the Whelen. I’m intending to hunt with my loads, so they will not be bunny farts.

Should I rely on neck tension or should I use a crimp? And is the going wisdom for a caliber like this, if neck tension, .003 for the field?

Thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    Hi,

I’m going to work up loads for a whelen I’ve acquired based on a Gew 98 mauser. All of the bullet designs I’ve seen so far don’t seem to include a crimp groove. But I did see Lee offers a FCD for the Whelen. I’m intending to hunt with my loads, so they will not be bunny farts.

Should I rely on neck tension or should I use a crimp? And is the going wisdom for a caliber like this, if neck tension, .003 for the field?

For my rifle rounds, the only ones that get a crimp are those intended for autoloaders. I would be comfortable with .002 neck tension on rounds for a bolt action rifle unless you're seating the bullet hard into the rifling. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    Hi,

Neck tension should be enough on jacketed rifle bullets

I have done some Jacketed Pistol Bullet and have used the 35 xcb cast bullet, and have used the LEE FCD on both only enough to get rid of the flair,
    need the flair so I could start seating the bullets, with out crushing the neck.
    and using a auto loader,
    Using 30-06 brass

I have seen no reason to crimp for the 35 Whelen with it or the 9.3 x 62mm Mauser which has noticeably more recoil the bullets in the magazine have showed no shifting in the case

Just because there's no crimp grove (or cannalure on jacketed) doesn't mean you can't crimp, and the the fcd isn't much of a crimp die, it's more like a sizing die with no guts(I've got one I use as a pass through sizer for 10mm). Looking, the rcbs seat die will roll crimp, so I'd give it a light crimp.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Light loads or light rifles can want crimping, when you otherwise wouldn't.

A reduced load that seems promising but isn't burning clean, might.

Full power loads that are ballistic twins needn't crimping for a 9 pound 35 Whelan but do for a 6 1/8 pound 350RM. Yes, the Whelan was more pleasant to shoot; but the Remington is very nice to carry.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Just because there's no crimp grove (or cannalure on jacketed) doesn't mean you can't crimp, and the the fcd isn't much of a crimp die, it's more like a sizing die with no guts(I've got one I use as a pass through sizer for 10mm). Looking, the rcbs seat die will roll crimp, so I'd give it a light crimp.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    There are three different types of FCD die. Bottleneck cases get the nice collet type crimp (which is where the term Factory Crimp Die originated). It works really well and can be adjusted to just take out a flare (which is how I use it) or it can crimp.

The rimmed cartridges get a roll crimp and the acp type cases get a taper crimp, both also having a carbide ring at the base. The crimp can be adjusted to how much you want, from none to a lot. If your sizing die does it's job and your bullets are not larger than standard the crimp ring doesn't do anything.

For the OP's question, I do not crimp unless they are for an auto loader.