Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primers at $2.30 EACH!

Boolit Master

Primers at $2.30 EACH!

Unbelievable! Primers are now $2.30 apiece. Who would have thunk it!

Attachment 294602

Boolit Grand Master

Not here.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yep. I got a dozen last week.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hmmmmm Kimosabee . . . . why you buy rocks when you can pick them up off ground?

Question

Who buys just one or two at a time? If you buy as many as 25 or more, there is a discount.

Boolit Master

I bought 50 pounds of British surplus from India awhile back, im good for a long while
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Don’t believe the shortage mongers. Visited Reading a few years ago. Couldn’t believe it, they had so much flint the parks were paved in it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Who buys just one or two at a time? If you buy as many as 25 or more, there is a discount.
    I just ordered flints from Track-of-the-Wolf. They will only allow you to buy 12 at a time. They're only $2.00 each then. Plus Shipping!

Good flints make a difference. Wish I could find a source of good ones at a better price even if it meant buying a larger quantity. I don't want to make them at the prices they are currently selling for. Looks like a lot of work to me. But with my Harpers Ferry I'm only getting 8 to 12 shots before I have to touch them up or replace them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I just bought 2 boxes of 1000 small pistol and 1 small rifle a couple days back. $80 each and tax at a local gun shop. They had large rifle for $157 , too rich for my blood . A couple weeks earlier I stumbled upon 4 cans of #11 percussion sitting right in Runnings . Add that to the couple cans I found last year the same way I’m set for a decade or more.
    My secret is every time I go by one of those places I go in and ask or call. You’ve got to grab what’s there when you get lucky. Last year that local gun store would only sell me 100 of each . This time they wouldn’t split the brick………ya never know.

Can't you still buy them by the hundred? That's the only way I have ever bought them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Hmmmmm Kimosabee . . . . why you buy rocks when you can pick them up off ground?
    its much easier to buy, esp when you are a one armed/legged guy.

i have dug miles and miles of sewer/water mains and i never picked flints off the ground. (i am in SW of PA, mostly Cambria and Somerset counties)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    todd - Many years ago, I watched a fellow down at the Nationals at Friuendship who gave demostration on knapping flints - it was an interesting thing to see but I'm sure it takes time and a lot of practice. I haven
    t bought flints a long time -still have some stockpiled. I use the large musket size flints on my Fusil-de-Chase and I have played some with refreshing the edge using a small brass snapping hammer - I was able to get the edge sago again but by no means a professional job. The nice thing about flints that size is the once worn, I could at least get the edge knapped to work well with my fire steel and they were a great size to keep in my flint and steel / char kit.

I agree though . . . store bought flints are MUCH more convenient and less time consuming that if a person tries to make their own. LOL

Banned
    bedbugbilly,
    i know of one or two, arrowhead?, collectors in my area and they go to ploughed-up fields and rivers and creeks in the neighboring counties. sandstone is regularly found in my areas. limestone is next and coal!!!!

i went to "class" or rather a gun show to knap rifle flints. he showed us HOW to do, but never any classroom experience. i gave up trying to find flints, so i bought them instead. i had a commercial german agate flint that went thru two frizzens. man, that was some hard german agate!!!! the TC flints are worthless, so i buy heritage products ( http://heritage-products.com/ ). the french amber flints seem to be good, i have 50+ firings on the one i use. i betting that its 100 plus+ firings till i'll need to replace it.

i have a left hand FL cva hawkens in 50 cal that i think i've got all the bugs worked out of it. it doesn't like maxiballs (245gr and 3something gr) but it luvs prb. the patch i use is .005" and rmc liquid wonder lube, but only about 4 or 5 shots. i can use .010" patches, but after 2 shots the bore needs cleaned. i use spit on my patches on the range. i tried lubes, moose milk, bore butter, ez wonder lube, bees wax and crisco...... but that is about the only thing i use (spit and rmc liquid lube).

Boolit Grand Master

The last time I ordered flints was October 2019 from TOTW. They were $2.20 each then, so no big jump. The only thing that changed is you can't buy them in bulk, you are stuck to a dozen or less at a time for now. It sucks for the guys with TC, CVA, or other poor quality rock smashers. This really puts into perspective how valuable a good lock that can go 75+ shots per flint really is.

P.S. The reason some of us buy individually is to get a few different sizes to see what fits. Once you find what size you need, then it makes no sense to buy less than a dozen, and by the hundred was best.

Boolit Master
    Guys. I am having some fun with the centerfire shooters. Our "primers" are $2.30 each.

On the average, how many shots can you get per rock primer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    On the average, how many shots can you get per rock primer
    With my TC Renegade? Maybe 5. With my Jim Chambers deluxe Siler, I've only been playing with it while building my rifle, but I'm over 100. Yes I realize I could put in a plug of wood. I love to see the sparks.

Boolit Master
    Don't shoot my Flint rifle all that much. More into Caps and 209s. Although the last few flints I purchased from Roger Pierce. Most of Roger's I purchased are still un-used. A hard flint that showered spark well. Have a TC 50cal. Lately I've been giving some thought to changing out my T/c lock with a L&R. Only one problem? justifying the 200.00 cost of.

Boolit Master
    You can always Sell your TC flintlock and buy that L&R lock.
    The TC locks at auctions go for $250.00 or more.

Boolit Master
    why are you calling gun flint's primers? am I missing something? primers are made out of brass, and are filled with a priming compound?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast