Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Barrel Damage or Gunsmithing?

Boolit Buddy

Barrel Damage or Gunsmithing?

Today I shot my first handloads for this rifle, a Savage 340e in 22 Hornet. Maybe because I was paying extra attention, I noticed the gouge or cutout shown in this photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	294591

If you zoom on the photo you can see right above the feed ramp there is a depression. I wasn't able to capture all of it in the picture, but it's almost exactly 180 degrees. I'm trying to determine if this is damage to the chamber or if it was cut there intentionally. My hypothesis right now is this is an extractor relief cut.

I have been doing some "Google-fu" but haven't turned up a picture of one of these to compare. Any shared expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Boolit Master

Looks like it was done to improve feeding!

Boolit Grand Master

It appears th e smith "blended" the barrel edge there to the feed ramp to relieve scraping rounds be chambered and smooth feeding. Other wise when the round comes up the ramp it will grab on that corner and lock up,

Looks like it belongs there, like the similar ones you see on auto-pistols.
    Without knowing its history, or being real familiar with that model of Savage, I'd guess the factory made it that way.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Don't Think it is detrimental ...It should shoot fine!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Shoot it. You will be fine. I agree with others. Looks like it was done to feed smoother. My 340 is a blast.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Vendor Sponsor

Are there any witness marks left on the brass after firing?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

1. Does it feed reliably? If yes, move on the the next question.
    2. Does it extract reliably? If yes, move on to the next question.
    3. Does it deform the brass? If no, move on to the next question. If yes, will it shorten brass life? If no, move on to the next question.
    4.Is the gun accurate? If yes, forget about, If not then consider replacing the barrel or the gun.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Not sure - but I can shoot a pic of the same rifle when I get home from work

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Yep, I've done it to several rifles to solve feed issues. As long as it doesn't go beyond the web of the case, you are good to go.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    It appears th e smith "blended" the barrel edge there to the feed ramp to relieve scraping rounds be chambered and smooth feeding. Other wise when the round comes up the ramp it will grab on that corner and lock up,
    Thank you country gent. It feeds extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Looks like it belongs there, like the similar ones you see on auto-pistols.
    Without knowing its history, or being real familiar with that model of Savage, I'd guess the factory made it that way.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Don't Think it is detrimental ...It should shoot fine!
    It does!

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Shoot it. You will be fine. I agree with others. Looks like it was done to feed smoother. My 340 is a blast.
    Thank you. Might be my favorite rifle to shoot, especially once I finish working up cast handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    It feeds great!

My one question if this was done to improve feeding: is it likely the portion of the chamber that was removed leaves a less supported area of the case head that could cause a problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Are there any witness marks left on the brass after firing?

None to speak of. I've read that the 340s are "brass wreckers," but I'm shooting reasonable loads right now, not putting a lot of strain on the brass.

Vendor Sponsor

I think you are overly concerned over something that isn't an issue at all. If it feeds, there is no risk of unsupported case where the feed ramp is chamfered, I don't see a problem at all. I would use it and shoot it to your heart's content!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    1. Does it feed reliably? If yes, move on the the next question.
    2. Does it extract reliably? If yes, move on to the next question.
    3. Does it deform the brass? If no, move on to the next question. If yes, will it shorten brass life? If no, move on to the next question.
    4.Is the gun accurate? If yes, forget about, If not then consider replacing the barrel or the gun.
    Thanks ulav8r. Answers:
    1. Never once had a feed problem.
    2. Extraction has been sticky. The first 20 or so rounds I put through the gun, there were 4 or 5 cases that stayed in the chamber when I opened the bolt. I would have to cycle the bolt several times to get them out (or just use a rod from the muzzle end). That issue cleared up, mostly, after the gun was fired and cleaned a few times. But today it happened once out of about 30 rounds. I also had a few rounds where the bolt didn't want to open. It unlocked easily but didn't want to pull back. I'm inclined to say these were also stuck casings.
    3. No it doesn't seem to be deforming the brass.
    4. It's been accurate so far, but I've shot it using different ammo and under different conditions so I don't have extensive data yet. I was getting a dime-sized group at 25 yards when I first sighted it in. That was shooting off my elbows.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Yep, I've done it to several rifles to solve feed issues. As long as it doesn't go beyond the web of the case, you are good to go.
    Thank you waksupi.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I think you are overly concerned over something that isn't an issue at all. If it feeds, there is no risk of unsupported case where the feed ramp is chamfered, I don't see a problem at all. I would use it and shoot it to your heart's content!
    Thank you. I was just concerned about the possibility that it was damage to the chamber, and not any kind of gunsmithing at all. I'm treading carefully since I've had few used rifles, and this one is getting on 50 years old. Just making sure before I get comfortable with this sweet rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup.
    Extractor cut. Mine has the exact same thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks very much to everyone who responded.

Load development can continue!

It's good that you were concerned...………

Once upon a time, at a LGS I bought an excellent condition, but used, Sako L46 chambered in .222; BUT, when I pulled the barreled action from the stock for a going over, there the bottom of the barrel under the stock was roll stamped "Remington".

Ya never know, until you investigate deeply.

Last edited by pietro; 01-15-2022 at 02:48 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    STOP SHOOTING IT AND SEND IT TO THIS ADDRESS TO BE PROPERLY DISPOSED OF!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    stop shooting it and send it to this address to be properly disposed of!!!!!
    Best response yet