Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With A Stuck Case!

Boolit Master

Need Help With A Stuck Case!

I was sizing '06 cases a few days ago when one went in really tight. I pulled it out, thinking it didn't get properly lubed. I sprayed it again (Alcohol/Lanolin) and pushed it back into the sizer. It still went in tight, when I tried to remove it the shellholder pulled the rim off! "No worries!" I say to myself and got out the RCBS stuck case remover. Drill, tap, attach the puller - No Go! I pulled hard on that Allen wrench and even with a "cheater" extension on it, it wouldn't budge. At this point I was afraid I'd strip the threads in the case head. I'll add that I was a machinist fpr 22 years so D & T is nothing new to me, nor are stubborn fittings.

Plan B - Penetrating Oil
    I put the die into a ziplock baggie and added enough PB Blaster to submerge the die. I put it under a heat lamp and let it sit overnight. The next day I tried to remove the case again. No good. I tried this three days in a row. Yesterday I used Kroil instead of Blaster, still no-go. Bear in mind, when I do this I have the die screwed into my press upside down with a vise-grip on the knurling of the die and the case puller on the top. I can put all kinds of torque on the puller, but nothing works. I've also tried tapping the case out with a steel rod down through the top of the die, nope.

Plan C - Freeze It and Torch It
    Right now, the die is sitting on the top shelf of my freezer. Later today, I'll pull it out and use my propane torch to try to expand the die body a couple thousandth's and see if the case will release.

The lesson here is, when you use this case lube, you need to let the alcohol evaporate before you try to size the case. This lube has worked well for me in the past, this time I forgot that detail. My Bad!

If anyone has other ideas, I'm listening!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a few like that too. I think it makes a metallurgical bond to the die.
    Took the propane torch and heated the die and then a rod and hammer. I switched to Lemon Pledge for case lube and that solve all but a few stubborn ones (223 rem). Those needed Lee sizing wax on a Q-tip on the inside of the neck.

I had an (unlubed) 30-06 case stuck in my sizing die once. After all my attempts, I finally plugged the neck, then pured molten lead to fill the case. After that I hammered it out with a steel rod. Still use the sizer die today.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I had an (unlubed) 30-06 case stuck in my sizing die once. After all my attempts, I finally plugged the neck, then pured molten lead to fill the case. After that I hammered it out with a steel rod. Still use the sizer die today.

Wayne
    Wow! Unlubed and you still got it out!! I may have to try that if all else fails!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Another little trick that helps is to soak in a copper remover for a few days put the disassembled die in so solvent can work from both ends. I would try the die cold from the freezer first since the brass will shrink more than the die body will it may be enough.

I have used shooter choice copper remover for this dissolves the case with out harming the die

Boolit Master
    Yep I have done it also!
    Get your rod ready for tapping the case out and I find a dead blow hammer to work the best for me. Get a light directed inside of the case.
    I put the die in a vice, heat it with a heat gun until quite warm, then spray an inverted can of compressed air into the case - using the tube extension and directed to the shoulder of the case until frost can be seen Immediately start tapping - hasn't failed me yet, although it may take a couple of attempts.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS stuck case tool.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I had the same thing happen on a much larger round. I was able to grab the brass with needle nose pliers and spin it. Not spin in a circle but to put a dent in one side like when you twist a spring lip in place. This made the case a bit smaller and then I used a small punch to help it alone. Good luck.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I use the RCBS stuck case tool.
    As stated in the OP, that was the first thing I tried!

unknown

Boolit Master

Thanks to all for your ideas, it's good to learn some techniques that have been tried and proven. I'll get back at it....

unknown

Boolit Master

Ops missed the part he tried the RCBS tool.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I've had expierience in this area. Twice, I've stuck two .223 cases. I tried my RCBS stuck case remover that has worked very reliably in the past with larger cases. But in these two instances, no go. I drill out the tapped hole to the largest size without touching the inside of the sizer die. I had bought a set of needle files (Central Forge) in the past. I picked the files that had teeth to the edges or corners i.e. half round, elipticle? etc. Then I started filing a groove from inside of the drilled out case head to the outside. You have to continously clean out the file to keep it from filling with brass. It takes a while, and you can tell when when the file cuts through the case head wall. No harm to your die, "IF YOU STOP FILING". The case head will relieve itself when the slot is cut through. Now, just take your vice-grips, latch onto the case head and gently twist back and forth. This technique should work on most all size cases. You just need to make sure to not mangal the outer case head and not have any meat to clamp onto with the vice-grips.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-14-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    dont think home freezer will get it cold enough,maybe. I usually use a freezing spray made by crc, I use it a lot in the shop for testing sensors and fitting bearings. Works really well and its reasonbly cheap and availible at most automotive stores ie pep boys auto value who ever you like, be sure to wear skin protection. Also if theres a auto service shop nearby that does A/C work, they use nitrogen for testing for A/C leaks (at least a lot do) ask if one of the techs will spray your die down while you hold (pliers would be a good thing to have with you as well as eye gear/ shield better) then give it a abrupt tap on hard surface it'll probably shoot out like a proverbial goose dung.
    Last edited by brass410; 01-14-2022 at 07:14 PM. Reason: grammer

Boolit Master

I chuck the die in a lathe, turn off the base and grind a very small version of a cape chisel and holding the die vertical, base up in my vice, split the offending case. Peels out like foil once you get it started. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Drill a 5/16" hole in the case head, take out the decapping rod, hold the die in a vise and tap the hole for a 3/8" bolt. Install bolt and put the die in a vise vertically and lightly close the jaws, keeping the die lock ring in place to keep the die from slipping out of the vise.
    Grab a heavyish claw hammer and long 1/4" punch and run it in the die and give it a few whacks with the hammer. Not too hard as the case should come out easily with just 2 or 3 whacks

Boolit Master

Lots and lots of good methods. These are going into the "back of my mind archives".
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Get a shorter allen head screw or a stack of washers to go between the screw and the top of the puller die. I had a similar problem with a 223 case and found the screw was bottoming on the deprimer rod before it could start extracting the stuck case. The shorter screw fixed that.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Warm the die up to a couple of hundred degrees, then give the inside of the cartridge case a blast of freon. The case will tap out easily.

Boolit Master

FINALLY! I finally got the bugger out of that die! Oy! I tried the hot/cold remedies, to no avail. I tried several different penetrating oils, the last of which was the CRC Freeze Spray. The "freezing" didn't work, so I left it soaking for four days. I made up my mind that it was gonna' come out with my RCBS stuck case remover or I was gonna' strip the threads in the case head trying. After four days in the freeze spray I put an 8" cheater on the end of the Allen wrench and started turning....It was TIGHT! But, it finally came out! HOO-RAY! I never thought I'd be able to put that much torque on brass threads, but lemme' tell ya', cartridge brass is tough stuff!

unknown

A little late to the party, but good for future.

https://ysterhout.net/docs/stuck_case/index.html

This was made for .223 brass, and has worked on all sizes since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast