Boolit Master

.38spl 135gr GDHPSB in a non +P revolver

Anyone doing this?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I've fired a handful of SB Gold Dots through a 640 for testing purposes and doubt I could afford enough to strain that gun. Although I treat my alloy J-frame more gently, concern for the gun wouldn't prevent me from emptying a cylinder full under extenuating circumstances.

From a "theoretical" point of view, I'd expect a 135 grain Gold Dot at 850 f/s (216 ft-lb) to be easier on the gun than, say, a 110 grain bullet at 1100 ft/s (297 ft-lb). That extra 80 ft-lb of energy comes from extra strain on the gun without necessarily increasing the effectiveness of the cartridge.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry Gibson pressure tested and confirmed a non+P load for me to use in my S&W Model 12 Airweight. The Speer 135 GDHP requires 750 fps to expand in water jugs. A charge of 4.3 grains of Bullseye gives 770 fps from a 2-inch snub and reliably expands to .50 cal. in water at standard pressure. Payload and velocity approximates the Vietnam - era Ball M41.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Payload and velocity approximates the Vietnam - era Ball M41.
    Yes. But with an 80% increase in permanent cavity wound mass (by MacPherson's reckoning).

Makes me wonder what advantage the Vietnam War era M41 ball was supposed to have over Spanish-American War era .38 Long Colt ammo? At least .38 Special LRN "tumbles." Or is the M41 ball also a tumbler?
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Master

Larry pressure tested some of these factory loaded .38spl 135gr GDHPSB rnds for me and they averaged 16,600psi. That is less than the 17,000 limit on standard .38spls.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    M41 fired from S&W 2" snub does flip.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Larry Gibson pressure tested and confirmed a non+P load for me to use in my S&W Model 12 Airweight. The Speer 135 GDHP requires 750 fps to expand in water jugs. A charge of 4.3 grains of Bullseye gives 770 fps from a 2-inch snub and reliably expands to .50 cal. in water at standard pressure. Payload and velocity approximates the Vietnam - era Ball M41.
    What was the pressure of that 4.3gr BE load with the 135gr GDHP?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I do not believe in the non +P .38 Special. I am not saying that standard pressure loads don't work or that Larry Gibson's test results showing that the 135GDHPSB was actually standard pressure is false. I mean that looking at the looooong history of .38 special I have decided that I am totally unconcerned about a safety issue with SAAMI +P 38 Special in any gun chambered for .38 Special that is in sound firing condition. As for accelerated wear.....Oh to be able to shoot enough to tell!
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Grand Master

Test firearm was the Contender with 7.94” 357 magnum barrel as used in previous tests with the Oehler m43 PBL. As per your request I used Winchester W-W cases with WSP primers. The loads tested were 4.1, 4.4, 4.7 and 5 gr Bullseye. 5.8 gr of Unique was also tested as it was a max load listed. The oal was 1.445”. All charges were weight verified and thrown with a Lyman 55 Powder measure. Velocities are at the muzzle. All test strings were 10 shots.

Prior to testing the GDs I ran a 10 shot test of Remington 125 gr JHP +P as a “control”;

They ran 1139 fps, SD 18 fps, ES 56 fps, psi 15,100, 1.9” group [I never was overly impressed with the ballistics of that load but it was accurate]

The 4.1 gr Bullseye load ran 785 fps, SD 16 fps, ES 54 fps, psi 14,800

The 4.4 gr Bullseye load ran 849 fps, SD 13 fps, ES 41 fps, psi 16,400

The 4.7 gr Bullseye load ran 905 fps, SD 16 fps, ES 54 fps, psi 18,400

The 5.0 gr Bullseye load ran 1010 fps, SD 16 fps, ES 45 fps, psi 21,000

The 5.8 gr load of Unique ran 970 fps, SD 24 fps, ES 80 fps, psi 18,300

I was not overly impressed with the accuracy of any of the loads. Groups with the GDs ran 4 – 6” at 50 yards. After completing the GD tests I shot another test string with the Remington 125 JHPs. That group was 2.1” so nothing had loosened up on the test Contender…..or me…..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry, I personally and I think most of the other posters here really appreciate you sharing your carefully collected data with us............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Larry, I personally and I think most of the other posters here really appreciate you sharing your carefully collected data with us............
    I agree completely.

Boolit Grand Master

Great job as usual Larry
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!