Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: 1870/78/15 Italian vetterli Load

Boolit Man

1870/78/15 Italian vetterli Load

So I picked one up off GB about 2-3 months ago and haven’t loaded anything for it yet. Since these rifles were originally black powder and then during WW1 had a barrel sleeve installed to convert them to 6.5 carcano.

I don’t know where a safe starting point for this rifle would be at and I’ve heard a ton of stories of people putting factory loads in them and blowing them up.

If anyone has any experience or advice on where I should even start with this load I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Does yours have the 6.5 Carcano sleeve installed?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakebfr480 View Post
    Does yours have the 6.5 Carcano sleeve installed?
    Yes

Boolit Buddy
    What I read years ago was that the 6.5 conversion was marginal with full military loads but was intended for secondary troops and therefore not likely to get much use. You may need to stick to starting level loads for safety.

Boolit Bub
    I have one with a very good bore that is an outstanding shooter. With 6 grains of Trailboss and a .270 diameter cast bullet of 140 grains 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards have been gotten. I have a target with same load of 4 shots at 50 yards into one ragged hole. I made a full length scope and mounts for the rifle that is about 6 power and that is why I`ve shot such groups.

Boolit Buddy
    Did you watch this video? Good to have your rifle checked before firing, not just because of full power loads, but because it may have damage otherwise:
    https://youtu.be/-qOEh_DwJR0?t=1

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in Oregon View Post
    I have one with a very good bore that is an outstanding shooter. With 6 grains of Trailboss and a .270 diameter cast bullet of 140 grains 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards have been gotten. I have a target with same load of 4 shots at 50 yards into one ragged hole. I made a full length scope and mounts for the rifle that is about 6 power and that is why I`ve shot such groups.
    Thanks good to know!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    Did you watch this video? Good to have your rifle checked before firing, not just because of full power loads, but because it may have damage otherwise:
    https://youtu.be/-qOEh_DwJR0?t=1
    Yes I’ve watched it quite a few times actually lol, I plan on doing a detail cleaning and safety check of it probably today, everything on it seems to function just fine otherwise.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmancrisler View Post
    Yes I’ve watched it quite a few times actually lol, I plan on doing a detail cleaning and safety check of it probably today, everything on it seems to function just fine otherwise.
    Excellent! If it doesn't work out to shoot that rifle, it's tall enough to convert to a floor lamp for the gun room!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    Excellent! If it doesn't work out to shoot that rifle, it's tall enough to convert to a floor lamp for the gun room!
    Hahaha ya, it would certainly be a cool wall hanger but no one is here for just walk hangers

Boolit Man
    I’ll let y’all know how it goes once I actually get around to cleaning it and everything.